View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 12:37 AM
BeardedFlyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011

Whoaa, I just did a little research and Aerosim wants $70,000 to get you through their program! Pilot Training Cost USA | Cost of Flight School | Aerosim Flight Academy Cost

That is pretty overpriced. I'm 23 with my multi engine commercial, instrument and about to have my CFI and MEI, all through the local flight schools in my area (Vancouver, WA) and can say I will probably end up spending less than $25,000 for all of it. Don't let their flashy sites and presentation fool you, they are not going to give you anything you can't get on your own through home study courses, a competent local CFI and reasonable renal rates through a home town FBO, and you will save about as much as you will make your first 3 to 4 years as a regional FO. In my opinion the most attractive aspect about these types of schools is their "placement services" and I'll admit, at times I wondered if just that alone was worth the extra cost but I finally decided it was not.

Watch their youtube video on their homepage on the bottom left; one of their reps states that airlines, due to all the retiring pilots in the next few years will be in a hiring "crises situation." If this is the case (which I also predict) than what commercial pilot looking for a job really needs to spend an extra $50,000 for help finding a job? But it really depends on your financial capabilities; if money is not an issue than I guess I don't see any other major drawbacks.

I don't know if you should go as far as buying your own 152 as bcpilot said because more times than not, ownership turns out to be more trouble than it's worth due to maintenance and operating costs, the stress of finding a decent airplane in the first place and a host of other baggage. For cheap time building, look for a flying club, or just hang out at an airport and find some other young pilot who was naive enough to buy his own airplane to build time and offer to split with him (They're out there!)

If you use home study courses for most of your ground work and the written tests you shouldn't have to spend more than $4500 to get your private. Then if you put a lot of time playing for free on microsoft flight sim you should be able to get your instrument at the minimum flight time and spend around $5000. Then onto the commercial and CFI, maybe another 3 to $4000.

Don't worry, as long as YOU are motivated to become a good pilot it doesn't matter where you get your flight training. After all, the big flight academies only have access to the same information the rest of us do. Put in the book work, study time, concentrate on becoming confident in any flying situation and you will end up with a promising career in aviation. Now, time for me to go study for that flight instructor written test!

Good luck!