View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 09:37 AM
ChrisH
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005

Originally Posted by LAfrequentflyer
Thanks for your insights...I think we can all agree the industry (except the cargo operators) seem to be sliding down in pay / benefits...

Is this a normal adjustment or a devaluation of pilots worth?

Pilots are not alone in this - most of corporate america is cutting pay / benefits to stay competitive...Unless you are management - it seems there is no end / limit to the size of golden parachutes...

I'm considering a aviation career after my military career. I have already decided to pass on pax carriers and stick to cargo.

-LA
I am not more in the know than you, but I think the industry goes through cycles where it is up and then down. I don't know if this will continue, improve, or stay where it is now; but hopefully there will be a slow improvement.

You are correct in that this is happening to more than the airline industry. My family has experienced this on a few occasions over the last few years, and nobody in my family is in the aviation field. With the economy, numerous industries are laying off, cutting pay, and benefits. Pilots are not alone, despite what they may think.