View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 01:18 PM
landlover
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2010

Originally Posted by SteveCostello View Post
Which is why I stated in the other thread that I'd be happy at this point flying a BE350 for a small corporate outfit for about the money I am making now.
A job like this isn't very common and it would take quite a few years for you to even be considered competitive. And in those few years you'd be working more than not. Then there would be the networking aspect. The chief pilot's friend will have a leg up on you. So what you would want to do is network as much as possible, and I mean sincere networking. Nothing worse then the guy that only calls or answers your call when he needs something. Now some great jobs have been known to go to low time guys that had the right connections, but i wouldn't bet the family fortune on that happening.

Originally Posted by SteveCostello View Post
The money is actually a primary concern for me... as in, can I get back to making the money I am making now in relatively short order? How long will it take for me to get to that point, and can I continue working full time in this job while I try to get there? Those are the questions swimming in my head. I've seen over and over that I need minimum 2,000 hours, and I would presume that much of that needs to be TT. Have no idea how to do that without doing some regional work, which, from what I've read around here, does not appeal to me at all, and certainly would not appeal to my wife.
If you go about aviation part time i'd guess that you'd prolong achieving the ultimate goal by 4 times as long. I was told expect it to take 10 years to make over 100k and it was about right on for me. Again some lucky SOBs had it easier and I am sure some poor soul had it way harder than me. Never can tell in this industry. Now I have what I consider a good job, but it is far from great. I fly owner and charter trips. For example I have been in S.America for 10 days which has be fun but I wouldn't mind heading home tomorrow. best of luck