View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 01:02 PM
block30
Bracing for Fallacies

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: In favor of good things, not in favor of bad things

Originally Posted by Ski Patrol View Post

80k isn't too bad...I think the bitterness settles in when people consider all the sacrifices they made/make (schedules that don't coincide with society in general) to continue with that wage.
+1 !!
Sooo many folks want that *decent* corporate gig its not even funny. The steps to get there are filled with people willing to work like crazy for almost nothing. That does not set in until you are living it. My wife asked me for a divorce a couple years ago because the lifestyle was getting to her. I was a full time CFI and busy (in other words making 18K roughly with NO benefits and time off when the weather was lousy and I had no ground lessons), but NO ONE else was hiring, and no end seemed in sight (and I was straight up honest with what she was getting into when we were dating, but nobody ever expects aviation to be this way). Eagle was just hiring gang busters, and now what? Maybe furloughs(?). I hope not. Trans States is furloughing I believe....now people are tossing the f word around Pinnacle/Colgan/Mesaba...kinda doubt that one, at least in the near term, but the stability is clearly lacking.

If you can get a *good* 135 gig, it can be a good way around the regionals. 'Course you gotta have 1200 TT to even be considered. EDIT: I don't want to be all doom and gloom. Instructing was some of the greatest flying I have done. I still (usually) look forward to every flight

I wish you well, but I can understand what Ski Patrol is saying.

Last edited by block30; 12-09-2011 at 05:06 AM.