View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 07:57 PM
ski fish fly
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2012

First ... as I've started one of my 10 posts on this site, free advice is worth what you pay for it! ... Please keep that in mind!

From what you wrote, you know that you're worth at least $80,000 a year doing what you're doing. Who knows how much more once you secure your MBA (congrats on that!). Have you looked at the pay scales of the regionals. You'd make more money instructing than you would flying for a regional as an SIC.

I know that money isn't everything, but ... as you pointed out ... leaving what you have now for a less paying and uncertain future ... is just that. It's a lot less money and very uncertain.

I have no idea how old you are but, I do know that you're about to take on a personal obligation besides yourself (ie, getting married). What's worth more? Chasing the flying dream (which you can do now on a slower pace) and lowering your life standards below to which you've become accustomed ... or, fly for fun? Make money, take your bride on weekend cross countries ... and do instructing on the side.

But, here's the real kicker ... what does she think? What does she want you to do? If she's willing to support you (with her eyes wide open) towards the flying goal -- go for it. If she's not ... well, you have choices to make!

I probably didn't help ... but, I do wish you the best in your decision ...