View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 08:05 PM
JetA PourHomme
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2012

If you really enjoy your current job, that's a big factor. I'm currently a line service tech and love my job and the company I work for. It's definitely making me stall on getting my CFIs. I also earn more now than I will with many regionals for the first few years.

I think if you can stay in close contact with your current company you would probably have a good shot at getting the job in the future, but you may get stuck on reserve for a year with a regional and get no time while your current company needs to fill the position. You should ask your company if they could hold off on hiring that new pilot in the future and wait for you, practically of course. Or talk to the pilot that wants to retire and see if they could time it with you so the transition would be seamless.

That's the great thing about good companies, they usually work with you as much as they can.

This is of course the best case scenario, but it never hurts to ask and if they like you the odds of something like that happening will increase.