Old 02-26-2012, 11:32 AM
aa73
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Default How is the AA BK different from the others?

I need some good, objective opinions on this question. As you all know, it is nothing but doom and gloom over here regarding what's headed our way. I have always been one of the VERY few optimistic ones that think AMR will turn around and prosper into a world class airline within a few years.

OK, please give it to me straight:

1. USAir, UAL, DAL, NWA pilots: Was it pure doom and gloom when you guys got issued the initial 1113 term sheet?

2. Were your initial 1113 term sheets as bad as ours? Especially Scope: as I recall, every airline BK term sheet had massive scope concessions, but out of all of them, only UAL furloughed (737 fleet parked): everyone else recouped and started hiring again or are now hiring. How is it that Delta pilots got massive Scope concessions in BK and yet started hiring again shortly after??

3. Was there a massive rush for the door when you guys first read the term sheet?

I'll tell you: there are an amazing amount of AA pilots that want out: just look at the China job fair in MIA last week. TONS of guys are burned out and want nothing more to do with AMR. Guys here are convinced that AMR is done, will be sold off in pieces. But my question is, why? How is our BK different than anyone else's in the past? UAL did not get sold off. USAir did not... NWA merged with Delta. Why would AMR get sold off? Why wouldn't AMR exit BK like everyone else and start being profitable again like everyone else? Start hiring again and growing like everyone else?

I guess the jist of my question is:

1.How and why are we so drastically different than everyone else that went through?

2. People are saying that if AMR's scope concessions go through, it will be the end of AA domestic and they will only be an Int'l carrier. But how come United, USAir, Delta, etc also got HUGE scope concessions but look at their domestic today - it's still there! None of them ended up as Int'l carriers only.

Serious and objective answers are appreciated!
Thanks,