View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 06:15 AM
Typhoonpilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2005
Position: tri current

Originally Posted by frozenboxhauler View Post
Koru, I agree with you for the most part but you've never seen any one crap on the street? My last trip to Guangzhou, I saw a lady hold her little kid over the curb so that he could drop one! The ones that really bother me are the women, with the rented kids, begging for money.
Kombei!,
fbh

There is a big cultural difference in the way that westerners potty train their children and the way it is done in China. Chinese kids are almost full potty trained by the age of 2. There is also a far smaller percentage of kids running around with serious diaper rash. It is shocking for westerners to witness at first, and it was for me too. Asians wouldn't bat an eye at a little kid peeing in the gutter or the occasional dump on the sidewalk.

Having now raised two boys in China/Taiwan, I can say it works pretty well and saves a lot of money on diapers. That said, we have always tried to be a bit more discreet about where the kids go, bathrooms are always a first choice, but when the kid doesn't have a diaper on you can't always wait until you get to one.

Typhoonpilot