View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 10:43 AM
DirectLawOnly
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2012

Originally Posted by Coto Pilot View Post
At this time we aren't even getting credit for hard years spent on the property. This hose job I would imagine is unprecedented. To simplify this, look at a United furloughee that was hired in 2000 and at 8 year pay and has not accepted a job at CAL because he is waiting for the merger to be complete. After the SLI is done, he decides to come back to the merged company, he never accepted the job at CAL under the TPA and is returning to "United Airlines". His pay longevity is then going to be his original date of hire less his years of furlough, lets say 8 years on the property and 5 on furlough. This would presumably give him a 2005 longevity date , far senior to his new hire classmates that came back to CAL and are being oppressed by the 2008 hire date of the CAL pilot ahead of him because of a staple in the SLI.
No one that is a party to this JCBA can prevent you from being stapled to the bottom of the list by the arbitrator. That is a completely separate process. (They can reach an agreement prior to arbitration that prevents that) What can improve the standing of the pilot in your example with the arbitrator is having not just 8 years of longevity but 13 which the pilot would get in the event the TA is ratified. (8 actual + the furlough credit of ~5 on DOS) More credit to go would be even better, imo.

LOA 25 has to do with credit for furlough. It says nothing, and neither does anything else, to limit your longevity already accrued in actual service. Remember that on DOS s-UA and s-CAL are still two separate companies. The merger is not finished until the ISL. CAL won't give you credit for your UA time if you were working for CAL but after ISL there won't be a CAL and the ISL through the arbitrator's decision will rule. You might get hosed, you might not. My crystal ball is MEL'd. But I think your argument is stronger if the TA passes vs. not passing.