Old 11-22-2013, 01:17 PM
Spur
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

Originally Posted by MD11Fr8Dog View Post
Looking at the approach plate for RNAV GPS 19L into McConnell, I noticed that the IF/IAF, WITBA, calls for 4000ft MSL and is about 8 miles from and 2600ft AGL above Col Jabara. The airport lines up for almost a perfect 300ft/mile approach to a 6000x100ft runway that is proportionally the same as a 12000x200ft runway (19L is actually 12,000X150, but signage and lighting for 300ft wide). I can see how its possible that they could get sucked in to seeing that field and just breaking off the RNAV approach and landing visually.

The mind is a terrible thing.....
Also, both KAAO 18 and KIAB 19L have a PAPI on the left and ALS with sequenced flashers (MALSR vs ALSF1). KAAO is depicted on the high and low charts, and on the Jepp approach plate to 19L, but it is not on the government approach plate.

If they picked up the KAAO PAPI and rabbit lights near WITBU, I can also see how they could get sucked off the approach. Especially since IAB would be 15 NM in the distance.

You may think it can't happen to you... You may be right. But it happened to someone and it is a worthwhile effort see how it happened and not just assume they were complete morons...