View Single Post
Old 04-27-2007, 08:37 AM
Guard Dude
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: In the easy chair with a scotch on the rocks
Default Back from Atlanta

To Everyone:
I originally started this post to get any last minute tips before my Delta interview. I am excited to see some activity on this Delta thread.

With that being said, I am excited to say I just got back from Atlanta and got the conditional offer from Delta. Then, I did the physical, psych test, and talked to the psychologist the second day. Now it is just "hurry up and wait", provided nothing comes up in the blood work and psych stuff which I thought went very well. I was told to expect a middle of June class.

To answer some questions:
I put my app online in the middle/end of January. I have 2600+ MEL Total Turbine and 1200+ MEL Turbine PIC (all military). I got the email to interview middle of March. I selected a date just over a month away just to prepare. I could have interviewed earlier but I wanted to prepare because my experience is only military and this was my first (hopefully only) airline interview. I would say the biggest thing Delta is looking at is the completeness of the paperwork. In the interview, the HR dude went over my app, line by line. There were no mistakes and then I signed it. Then they said my other paperwork looks good and the two interview Captains went into the "TMAAT" questions. One thing I did in preparation was highlight the whole application and copy it to a word document and then spell check it in Word. You would be surprised what you spelled incorrectly. Then I had several of my Guard buddies, already at airlines, read it. Remember, if you get an interview you are qualified, however, if your paperwork is not "tight" you may find the interview tough. I am guessing that is why I did not see two of the five of us the second day. After the interview, I did the aviation knowledge, mini personality test, and cognitive test. That took about 3 hours. (Some of the interviewees tested first then interviewed) After all that, I was told to go wait in the lobby by the elevators. After sitting there for an hour+, I was called back to an interview room and formally offered a conditional job! I look back now and feel I was overprepared but that made for an awesome and positive experience.

The gouge is good but I also did buy and read some of the recommended books; "Mental Math for Pilots", "Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators", "Checklist for Success", "2007 FAR/AIM". I see WFFF has been mentioned, which is good. I would also checkout aviationinterviews.com. Also, checklistcomplete.com has excellent info for airline interview tips and preparation.

Lastly, I got a great vibe from the Delta folks. They are all excited to be hiring Pilots, again. They were all very positive and understand the stress you are going through during the interview process. Moreover, they are all extremely excited about Delta's future; coming out of bankruptcy, new international routes, new jets, etc. It is refreshing to see folks excited about the future of the industry.

Sorry about writing a novel. Hope this helps someone. Good Luck to all!!!