View Single Post
Old 02-12-2006, 05:11 PM
Deuce130
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: 777 FO

Originally Posted by RedeyeAV8r
Deuce I've been here 13 years and spent 8 years at 2 other PAX carriers........Picketed at one. During normal ops.....(meaning working under a current contract).....No hat required. Your negotiating committee needs any and all support you can give......................

It has been said before until we get a deal.....do your job at 100%....no more.
Wear your ALPA lanyard, Wear your ALPA Pin on your Tie and join the informational Picket lines when asked...............Yes wear your "NERDY" HAT
too. Take it off when we get a deal. I picketed during last contract negotiations on Wall Street. It was a little chilly so we all had our trench coats on. None of us had hats. As people walked by us while we held our signs................They had no idea who or what we were. When the Northwest guys walked about 7 years ago..........they were all decked out in full uniforms, yes with their nerdy hats..........but there was no doubt that they were ailrines pilots.............They settled into a pretty decent contract about 10 days later.
Sorry, Redeye, didn't mean to insult anyone. I will agree, that if the nuclear option hits and we actually picket, then yes, let's wear our hats. Guys on the street won't know what it is we do unless we complete the image by wearing the hats. With that said, the hat idea isn't picking up any steam that I can see in the AOC. Sure, a few guys wear them but the lack of guys wearing them can almost have a negative effect. When guys say show support by wearing your hat, then noone does, what message does that send? And why won't guys wear the hats? B/c most guys can't stand them. So, why don't we shoot for a visible show of support that everyone can get behind?