View Single Post
Old 03-21-2006, 12:16 PM
NE_Pilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006

Originally Posted by Crownz
Hey guys, i checked some posts and saw nothing on this subject. I keep hearing by a bunch of ppl that you can't become a pilot if you have vision glasses. Is it true that you need perfect 20/20 vision to become a pilot or can you have 20/20 vision with glasses. Afterall, i cant think that they would limit the spots to ppl without glasses, so many others would be rejected. Can anyone inform me a little on this?
It is a common misconception that you cannot obtain a Pilot Certificate if you do wear glasses. As said, if your vision is not 20/20 or better, it must be correctable to 20/20. If you are nearsighted, you will have a restriction on your medical stating that you must wear corrective lenses while operating an aircraft (contacts count as corrective lenses), if you are farsighted, it will say that you need to have corrective lenses on you, not nesscarily wearing them, while operating an aircraft.

Same goes for color blindness, you will have restrictions, unless you can pass the tests.

Also, I don't know how, but you can still obtain a first class medical even if you are blind in one eye. There was an article on AvWeb not to long ago stating that there is somewhere around 200 ATP Rated Pilots who are blind in one eye. I'm not sure how this works, or what your restrictions are, but unless you are completely blind, eyesight problems don't seem to be a huge problem to overcome.