View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 10:55 AM
bleagle
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: l/r

Originally Posted by SkyHigh View Post
The latest installment from Les Abends section of Flying Magazine titled "Jumpseat" details the migration of his FO's from wealthy focused airline pilots to that of working other jobs and businesses to stay afloat.

In the article he describes the transition of FO's to that of entrepreneurs who have had to seek other income streams outside of the flight deck and are now leaving the profession for greener pastures.

Years ago I also was forced to seek outside income and discovered that it was easier than I had thought and offered greater benefits to my lifestyle and income potential.

Les flies for American Airlines one of the cherished legacy airline plum jobs to have. Les laments that the profession of airline pilot is loosing its status as "the day job". Today what keep pilots barely in the profession is not for the pay but the some of the flexibilities and side benefits of compensation.

It seems to me that airlines should offer more flexibility to keep pilots in the profession and to draw others back. As a main source of income it just doesn't make sense anymore for most.

Skyhigh
I can feel your anger... it makes you stronger! Yes Luke SkyHigh-er....YES!! Come to the DARK Side!

http://airlinepilotcentral.com/web_v...071001260.html