Old 03-21-2008, 03:59 PM
PDQBoy
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: None0
Default 121 Takeoff Minimums and Takeoff Alternate Questions

Takeoff Minimums & To Alternate Minimums.

I am interviewing soon (9E/XJ) and need to seek some clarification on takeoff & Alternate minumums.
I am a former 135 freight dog (20 years ago getting back on board) and understood the regs then but
would like to clarify for 121 interview purposes.

Minumum visibility standards for taking off:
Of the three standards possible for taking off
#1.) back of the Jepp Plate 10-9 visibility for takeoff
#2.) (Standard takeoff minimums) of 1 / 2 eng (1 mi or 5000 rvr) and 3/4 eng mins (1/2 mi or 2400 rvr)
#3.) Company ops specs that lets say is lower than the Jepp 10-9 vis. @ 6/6/6 Rvr

Questions:
A.) Do you jump to the HIGHEST visibility of #1 or #3? or the LOWEST? Does the plate rule?
B.) If you have only #1 and it is HIGHER than #2 which do you use? (plate I would think)

While we are here. Takeoff ALTERNATE. Different question entirely.
Q-Let's say it is determined that a takeoff ALTERNATE is needed (vis less than lowest landing minimum)
What weather do I need to see at that ALTERNATE airport? 600/2 for ILS airport or 800/2 for non-precision landing?
Can ALTERNATE airport Ops specs override (lower) these standard alternate minimums?
One poster said that the weather needed at the alternate need only be greater than the lowest landing minimum throwing
out the old 600/2,800/2 rules but that does not sound like and adequate safety margin.

And one bonus question. Do all alternate airports whether takeoff alternate or destination alternate have the same
600/2 and 800/2 basic weather specification as a theme?