View Single Post
Old 05-16-2008, 09:45 AM
HSLD
APC co-founder

Joined APC: Feb 2005
Position: B777

Originally Posted by LuvJockey View Post
I have an EYE problem. I can't see myself flying this trip tomorrow.
I've had that too, but it was a kidney and eye problem. (So ****ed off I couldn't see straight)

I'd caution anyone from signing a HIPAA release to any employer until after you've received guidance from council (their answer should be "are you kidding!"). Your medical records are between you and your doctor. Very few airline managers have the credential to understand much less question doctor notes (even if you were foolish enough to provide them).

As far as records go, a simple doctor's note stating that "I provided medical care in my office to _______ on __________" is all I'm willing to offer.

Be aware that signing a HIPAA release allows you employer to obtain all medical records they can find on you - not just a selective window for the sick leave in question. Do you really want your boss reading about your hay fever when you were a kid?

I'm lucky that my GP has a brother at Comair and he understands how airline management works. If you don't have a labor friendly doctor, you may want to take a moment and at least get a read on how he/she deals with over zealous employers who want to intrude on the doctor patient/relationship.