Old 07-31-2008, 03:54 PM
avi8girl
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: Knows just enough to be dangerous

Wow, a whole lot more to consider.

The American certificate is looked down upon by some because the theoretical knowledge required is significantly lower than in Europe and elsewhere. To get a JAR license takes about 4 to 8 months of ground study for the 14 written exams. There are places in the USA where it can be done.
That is the type of training and license stuff I was wondering about. I didn't know that the American cert is looked down upon.

Sounds like you have an adventurous side to your nature. If that is true then there are many places you could try. It's not always easy to break into some of the bush flying type jobs, but it can be done. The Kiwis and Aussies tend to go to Papua New Guinea to build time. A number of Europeans go to Kenya, Tanzania, Botswana, and other African countries. Of course Americans will go to Alaska. In almost all cases you have to be willing to go there without the job and start knocking on doors.
Adventurous is putting it mildly. Looks like Alaska might be my most realistic option here. I was already planning on using my next vacation time to go and get a seaplane rating at a school up there and maybe get a better idea of which doors to knock on.

Thanks for the info all. I at least am armed with a lot more information and I appreciate getting it from those who have been there.