View Single Post
Old 07-28-2006, 04:35 AM
GauleyPilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: BE-20, RA390
Default Generation Next worries

From what I have heard listening to today's teenagers, a great number of them have no ambitions for the future. They care to talk more about "hanging out" that night rather than something happening ten years down the road. I sense that they feel shut out from the opportunities of past generations, and I feel in large part they are right.

Aviation is a hard sell to 30-40 somethings as well. Once they find out the expense of training, limits of their privileges (you mean if I fly in clouds I have to get more training?), the expense of aircraft ownership, the medical certification, the complex regulations, the full implications of weather, etc; they are likely to go buy a Harley Davidson instead.

Today's working generation has less disposable time. For example, in my area from the 60s until the 80s, there were a lot of people who made a good living in the coal industry learning to fly. They left the mine at days end and went to the airport. Todays miner often works six days a week, with ten hour shifts. Not much time to dedicate to learn to fly.

Last edited by GauleyPilot; 07-28-2006 at 04:39 AM.