View Single Post
Old 08-27-2009, 06:21 AM
runge
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2009
Default Thinking about the Air Force Reserves

Hello,
I am a 22-year-old grad student in aerospace engineering, working on my ph.d, which I hope to finish by the time I'm 26. I've got 230 TT, including PPL, instrument rating, and I'm working on my commercial.

Here's a thought I have had lately, and I'd like to hear your opinions:
After I finish my ph.d, take a year or two, join the Air Force Reserve and try to get a pilot position. (I think I will be fairly competitive). Then, go after a civilian career while hopefully doing Air Force Reserve stuff no more than 2 weekends a month and the occasional longer gig when I can get vacation time from work.

I plan to work in Atlanta for some years after I finish my ph.d and join the air force reserve, and there are two AFB's within driving range: Dobbins and Robbins.

Now time for the questions:
1. I'm ambitious. Will being in the Air Force Reserve stifle my civilian career?
2. After my initial training (I can set aside about 2 years for that), is a few weekends a month realistic for a day-to-day commitment?
3. For those of you in the Air Force Reserve, what has been the hardest part?
4. If my civilian job offers me a promotion to move out to CA or something, and there are AFB's within driving range there, how difficult is it to change squadrons?
5. For those of you in the Air Force Reserve, what is your ACTUAL commitment, both on a monthly and yearly basis?

OK, thanks for all the help,
-Will