View Single Post
Old 08-27-2009, 07:51 AM
jdt30
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005

Will, I'll try to answer the questions as well as I can. Some others on the board may have different views than I do.

1. Depends on your career. I can only answer as an airline pilot. So it has helped my career. Looking back being a trougher was probably the best part of my career so far.
2. A few weekends a month is not realistic. Initially they will want you around the squadron quite a bit while they get you up to speed. Then as your experience grows you can start spending less time keeping your currencies. I would say 5-6 days a month is what you can expect to spend working with the reserves, not counting exercises, deployments, and the like.
3. The most difficult part about being a reservist is the time spent away from family and friends.
4. Depends on the a/c you fly, and whether or not the squadrons in the area are hiring.
5. The commitment is much more than advertised by recruiters. Like I stated above at least five days a month on a quiet month. Then you'll have annual sims which can be another five days a year. An annual deployment which can range from 2 weeks to 90 days.

I'm not trying to be discouraging, but it is a large time commitment. I joined the reserves ten years ago, and I believe it has been one of my best decisions. I serve my country, and I do it with people that I call my friends. I'd say that's a time commitment with pretty good job satisfaction.

good luck
jdt30