View Single Post
Old 08-27-2009, 08:14 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by runge View Post
1. I'm ambitious. Will being in the Air Force Reserve stifle my civilian career?
That depends entirely on what your civilian career is. Airlines? Won't hurt one bit.

Corporate America? Won't kill you, but it will dampen your promotion opportunities some because they know you will be gone at possible inconvenient times.

Academia? Would probably not hurt you, since you could focus your annual training during the summer break.

Note that you never have to use vacation for reserve duty. You do as much reserves as you want/need to and legally they cannot hold it against you.

2. After my initial training (I can set aside about 2 years for that), is a few weekends a month realistic for a day-to-day commitment?
For a reserve flying job, you probably need at least 4+ days/month but they don't necessarily have to be all in a row. For a non-flying job 2 days might be OK.

3. For those of you in the Air Force Reserve, what has been the hardest part?
It is usually initial training, life is much better after that. But deployments to the middle east might not be a load of fun either.

4. If my civilian job offers me a promotion to move out to CA or something, and there are AFB's within driving range there, how difficult is it to change squadrons?
If there is an opening in a squadron that flies the airplane you are trained on, not too hard usually. But odds are you would have to travel some distance or get retrained on a new airplane (time consuming, and the unit may or may not be willing to pay for it).

5. For those of you in the Air Force Reserve, what is your ACTUAL commitment, both on a monthly and yearly basis?
Actual legal minimum for all federal branches is 2 days/month and two weeks (12 day) per year. But most military reserves (flying or otherwise) do more than that. If you don't drill enough you will not get promoted and could get asked to leave. Note that the military has an up-or-out promotion system...generally if you do not make O-4 (Major / Lieutenant Commander) you will not be allowed to stay long enough to earn the retirement.