View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 09:03 AM
SomedayRJ
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: BE50C (A), BE95 (A), C172S (B)

Originally Posted by Senior Skipper View Post
More people seem to go with the Bose, and they have a good name in audio technology, so I figured I'd go with them.
The Twin Bonanza I fly has a Bose Aviation Headset X installed permanently (i.e. with the funny connector, not the conventional headphone/mic jacks) at the left seat. When I'm not flying in that seat, or when I'm flying anything else, I have a Lightspeed Thirty3G. Here's my two cents on each.

The Bose is a wonderful headset if you can afford it. It does a good job of cutting down the ambient roar of the -480s in the Twin Bo, and the audio quality is standard Bose stellar. The headset itself won't cancel noise AT ALL without electrical power (meaning carry a spare set of batteries if you don't have a permanent installation), or at least, that's my view. I like this headset; given a choice I'd use it in all the airplanes I fly, but as stated this one is permanently installed. The headset is also smaller than the 33G I carry around for non-C50 use.

The Thirty3G has a little bit of noise canceling inherent in its physical design plus electronic ANR. I *love* this headset. It's comfortable and will give you a minimum level of noise canceling without batteries, in the event of "I forgot" or battery depletion. That said, it's bulkier, and takes up more room in my flight bag.

In summary, I'd like to fly with the Bose everywhere.