Old 04-26-2010, 09:06 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Exclamation

Originally Posted by minority561 View Post
My school that I'm attending (which will remain nameless and no its not riddle) is offering a 737-800 type rating over summers. The downside, like always, is the price tag. Only this price tag is roughly $21,000.00 bucks.
That price is ludicrous, the only US company worth mentioning which requires 737 type is SWA, and you can get what they require for $5K.

Do any of you more experience guys see any validity to this or point to doing it.
None whatsoever, except for entertainment value...I don't know about you but I could find better ways to blow $21K.

It covers ground school and three other classes worth a total of nine credits. also, it includes 50 hours multi/turbine time. However, none of that 50 hours is PIC, which is a downer.
The average regional FO probably has about 3000 hours hours turbojet SIC, in the operational 121 environment...and they can't get hired by most major airlines. If they could, you would be waiting in line behind about 15,000 of them.

so i guess my main question is:

are airlines going to higher a 300ish hour pilot with 50 hours in a 737-800 type rating but no PIC in type?
No US regional airline is going to hire any 300 hour pilot, for many years. If the planned new regulations and laws go through, no US airline will EVER hire a 300 pilot again.

Do you get 50 hours in an actual 737NG or in a sim...there is a big difference, regardless of what your school may say, level D sim time is NOT real airplane and no employer will let you count it.

Dude, go get your instructor ratings and have a bunch of money left over. That is the only consistently reliable civilian path to professional aviation career.

Also I have to say...what kind of unethical scumbag crooks are running your flight school? How could anyone with knowledge of this industry steer a young person to blow $20K on a narrowbody type? I would seriously reconsider having anything to do with that school.