View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 05:26 AM
PerfInit
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: JAFO- First Observer
Smile

KSA's are difficult to write because people generally don't like to write about themselves. The good news is that at some point in the near future, KSA's are going away. The OPM acknowledges that it is not the most efficient way to screen people for federal jobs. The key to writing successful KSA's is to:

"Pat yourself on the back" on paper - write everything you have done to contribute to your organization's success, keeping in mind the concept that the particular KSA is asking for. Short, direct sentences work best.

"On Jan 20XX I directed.... I managed.... I, I, I..."

Take a break, have some tylenol (your hand will be sore from patting yourself on the back)" Then do it again.

It is not a book report about a concept. It is what, when, how, and the result of your efforts. Don't forget to include applicable formal training like CRM/Human Factors and any Aviation Safety related courses.

BTW, I bailed from the flight deck to a cubicle 3.5 years ago. I took a pay cut to come to the govt. Think long and hard about what you are about to give up before commiting to govt work. If you have alot of time left before retirement, office life may be difficult to swallow! G/L