Old 06-21-2010, 06:22 PM
BushwickBill
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2009
Position: BE-20 PIC

I risk IDing a few people by posting this but I had a good experience with VLJs a while back. I took an owner operator to go see his Adam 500 a few years ago. He eventually took delivery of the 500 and had a deposit on the 700. He wanted to fly the thing himself and in my opinion he didn't have the background to do that.

On the way out to APA I was talking with the captain and I said "you know he should forget the Adam500 and go buy a used Cj1 and have someone else fly it." Needless to say after the dust settled he has a very expensive Adam500 doorstop parked next to his hangar and a used Cj1 and a pro pilot.

Personally I don't give owner operators a lot of credit. It is just my opinion and I have that opinion purely from my own experience. If you have the money for a light jet get a pro pilot. After my experience with the TBM and listening to all of the accidents that my instructor told me about I don't think there are a lot of 180 knot plus airplanes out there that should be owner operated.

I would never ever buy a new unproven airplane from a manufacturer that did not have a significant amount of experience building the type of aircraft I was considering buying. Cirrus is a tough call because I think the single engine airplanes that they make are pretty nice. Although they have killed a lot of people. At the Palo Alto flying club we used to call them the dot com killer. The modern day version of the V tail doctor killer. I think this has more to do with the owner operator problem however.

This just seems like another bad idea destined for failure. I'd buy a used Cj1 or a TBM700 C2. Also I would get a pro pilot to fly it. Unless all I did was fly and there is no way you could make enough money flying to own any of the airplanes we are talking about.