Thread: Cathay Pacific
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010, 09:27 AM
IndyAir Guy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2005

Originally Posted by Ronin47 View Post
For those Gents flying the line right now..what is the max amount of flying the company allows per month? Up to 114hrs? I understand you recieve additional pay over the 84hr. mark. Just curious if Cathay tends to keep "overtime" to a minimumm even if the company is "undercrewed? Also, with the 74-200 retired now-does anyone know if they still use the 74-200 sim for training or interviews? Or will they have new hire canidates go to the 74-400 sim? Anyone in the training department have any insight? Thanks Gents...
Ronin, in an ideal world CX would build all the lines up to 84 hours, no more no less. As a North American based guy my lines never break 84 hours. I have only gotten overtime twice in my 2.5 years at CX and that was during my initial IOE and then on a conversion course to a different type. I know guys that have been here 5+ years and have never gotten overtime. Dont forget we dont bid. However, I know a lot of HKG based guys that get overtime all the time. If your on a fleet/base that is understaff then yes, you'll get overtime.

Type Ratings:
I know 1 guy who went to the FSDO and talked his way into having them convert his Hong Kong Type into an FAA type. I know A LOT of guys who tried and got told No way. If the wheels fall off the wagon and I find my self on the street I will just shell out the cast and hop in the sim and take the test with an examiner if I need it. Having been on the street looking for jobs I know that time in the plane is the most important thing, and it would have to be a really good job and very certain to get it for me to spend my own $$.

I couldnt sleep the other day and was in the -200 sim. So you its there and has power on it. Other than that I assume it works. Since we are not in a heavy recruitment phase I havent seen people using it but I would assume that it is still in recruitment use. They seem to be using the -400 for regular training so I dont think they will use that for recruitment.