Thread: Cathay Pacific
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Ronin47
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2010
Position: Captain

Originally Posted by ryguy View Post
I'm coming from a bit of a different perspective than Indy since I'm on the 744 and relief qualified. When the fleet changed over to the 777 out of LAX, they sent a lot of folks to the 777 and most if not all of them were relief command qual'd. Most of the folks left on the 744 are not in North America. What that means is I'm working a lot more than usual. I was actually rostered into overtime on the published roster for the first time since I've been here. That means they planned me to go to 92 hours before things started to go sideways during the roster month. I ended up with 99 and in the 90's again the next month.

Of course I am doing mostly freighter flying which tends to have much greater roster disruptions. Every month though I am right up against the 84 hour mark. For me though, as a commuter, I like the longer trips and greater days off in a row. I've looked at a lot of the 777 rosters in LA and while the trips are shorter, there seems to usually be two trips that are fairly close together. For me that would be bad since I don't want to commute for just 2 or three days at home.

As for Ronin's overtime question. They do guard it as much as they can. If they send you into overtime you can be certain they had no choice. If and when you get it, the pay is very good so they hate to give it out unless they are stuck.
Thanks Ryguy and to all the CX gents that have answered my questions..great info. Looking forward to 2011 and a possible call. As I have stated before I was called back in 08' for DEFO but couldnt accept at the time (interview). I have updated many times since then and recruiting was very professional and accomodating on the phone. Thanks again...I will now drift back into obscurity.