Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Black suite and red tie??

Squawk_5543
07-24-2007, 01:23 PM
What's the deal with the red tie? Is that like a standard for an interview? Do I have less of a chance getting hired by wearing a blue tie?

MikeB525
07-24-2007, 01:26 PM
What if I wear an tasteful airplane tie???

Speedbird172
07-24-2007, 01:27 PM
It's like a secret handshake to join the pilot club.

Honestly, don't know, worked for me though.

higney85
07-24-2007, 01:29 PM
Red tie is a power tie! Comes from the classic navy blue suit/red tie/ white shirt "airline interview" model from back in the day (1960's)... The red tie means power and thats what you want to convey as a pilot applicant. All interviewers will say something to the effect of "we are not hiring FO's, we are hiring CA's". Thats at least how it has been conveyed to me by older airline pilots. FWIW the red tie/black suit/white shirt always looks sharp.

Fly IFR
07-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Red tie = "power" tie as stated above.

rollercoaster
07-24-2007, 01:36 PM
What's the deal with the red tie? Is that like a standard for an interview? Do I have less of a chance getting hired by wearing a blue tie?

Just wear something that's not too radical. I'd worry more about what you're going to say and how you are going to come across to the interviewer. Sit in front of a mirror or videotape yourself. You'd be surprised what you look like trying to answer questions. A navy suit, blue shirt and yellow tie didn't get me disqualified ;)

C152driver
07-24-2007, 01:41 PM
. A navy suit, blue shirt and yellow tie didn't get me disqualified ;)

Same here. There was a person that was in my interview group at Mesaba that was wearing a gray suit. It generated a comment, but it seemed to me that the comment was in good humor. I dont know if he was hired, or not.

I think the point of it is that you shouldnt wear jeans and flip-flops. They want to see you present a professional appearance. Good Luck! ;)

Quagmire
07-24-2007, 02:02 PM

Blue Tie = Got me a job

I had nothing to do with it, it was the tie.

SharkyBN584
07-24-2007, 02:03 PM
My classy dark red aviation tie helped me. Made a nice talking point in the oral.

Squawk_5543
07-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Blue Tie = Got me a job

I had nothing to do with it, it was the tie.

Good to know - I already purchased everything for my interview including a blue tie and a black tie. (Guess what the black tie is for?? ;) )

Rosie
07-24-2007, 02:41 PM
Dudes,

Wear what you want. Just look professional. I have interviewed at two majors and hired by both, have never worn a blue suit (used a dark char-coal suit), wore what ever conservative tie I wanted (not some crazy wierd thing). One shirt was light grey the other was white with red but conservative pin stripes. I even wore wing tip shoes once which is suppossed to be BAAAAAD. Again worked for me. The interviewers want a professional looking person. Then again I like to be a little different. Good luck fellas.

Rosie

Deez340
07-24-2007, 02:46 PM
Just wear something that's not too radical. I'd worry more about what you're going to say and how you are going to come across to the interviewer. Sit in front of a mirror or videotape yourself. You'd be surprised what you look like trying to answer questions. A navy suit, blue shirt and yellow tie didn't get me disqualified ;)

well it should have! just kidding.:D back when i interviewed at DAL everyone in my class had a dark navy blue suit, white shirt, red tie. The one guy with yellow tie didn't get hired but it was because he failed the computer cognitive screening.

my suit was so dark navy it appeared black. they actually complemented me on it. Spend lots of money on the tie. a cheap tie can make a $1200 suit look ridiculous. where as a $100-$200 tie can make a $99 suit (100% wool of course) look great.

rollercoaster
07-24-2007, 02:55 PM
well it should have! just kidding.:D back when i interviewed at DAL everyone in my class had a dark navy blue suit, white shirt, red tie. The one guy with yellow tie didn't get hired but it was because he failed the computer cognitive screening.

I'll keep that in mind if I ever take a trip to ATL for an interview!
:eek:

tsween
07-24-2007, 02:56 PM
what about canadian tuxedos? are they too classy?

or was that more acceptable in the 80's?

is it worth to invest in something more "modern"

boeingt7
07-24-2007, 03:02 PM
the question to ask yourself is, do i really want to work for a company that cares THAT much about what color tie i wear or if i'm wearing wingtip shoes to the inverview??

Deez340
07-24-2007, 03:03 PM
what about canadian tuxedos? are they too classy?

or was that more acceptable in the 80's?

is it worth to invest in something more "modern"

"modern" can be highly subjective and get you into trouble. think Jack Welch not P diddy.:D

On Autopilot
07-24-2007, 03:04 PM

Don't listen to this B.S. My advice, show up BUCK NAKED, That shows confidence, intelligence, and leadership ability. You WILL get attention,
and the JOB!!!

tsween
07-24-2007, 03:08 PM
what sort of "job" are we referring to here?

Deez340
07-24-2007, 03:10 PM
Don't listen to this B.S. My advice, show up BUCK NAKED, That shows confidence, intelligence, and leadership ability. You WILL get attention,
and the JOB!!!

i couldn't agree more! If you want to be a Shorts FO that is definitely they way to go.:D

rickair7777
07-24-2007, 03:17 PM
the question to ask yourself is, do i really want to work for a company that cares THAT much about what color tie i wear or if i'm wearing wingtip shoes to the inverview??

The good companies actually care. You can be assured that the folks conducting the interviews have college degrees and are Gen X or older...you probably need to try to fit into their frame of reference. People from that demographic have seen hard economic times and usually feel lucky to have a decent job.

The crappy companies don't care...they'll hire you with a COMM/AMEL and a pulse.

On Autopilot
07-24-2007, 03:28 PM
what sort of "job" are we referring to here?

What????? This isn't the stripper thread? Oh nevermind. Just my attempt at aviation humor!!

N42ER
07-24-2007, 03:54 PM
I'll let you in on the secret of aviation interviews that no one knows about...it's even better than a red tie (I didn't land my job by accident)

Today, the next penny you see, take it, and stick it up your a$$...
...and then spend it.

http://kwinkies.com/index.php?mode=blog&id=5994

SharkAir
07-24-2007, 04:19 PM
I wore my blue shirt and yellow tie the day ExpressJet turned me down. D'oh.

SharkyBN584
07-24-2007, 04:23 PM

I do. Nothing wrong with attention to detail.

APM145
07-24-2007, 05:15 PM
Interview Attire

A common question many candidates have about the interview process is what should I wear. An important thing to remember is that the piloting profession at an airline is much like other jobs when it comes to professionalism and responsibility. Doctors, Lawyers, Accountants all have an established dress code for interviews and conducting daily business. Not wearing a red tie will not sink your interview, but generaly most people would not recommend drifting to far from the norm.

In interviewer will look at the candidate’s ability to wear a suit as an indication of their ability to conform to a uniform policy, their level of professionalism, and personal demeanor with regard to their professional progression in their career.

Interview apparel, Men:
Black or Navy suit
Black shoes, polished
Red tie (other colors may be worn but should be conservative)
Plain White shirt, pressed
Briefcase or document tote, leather preferred
Limited jewelry (wedding band, college ring, Watch)

Interview apparel, Women:
Black or Navy suit
Pants or Skirt no shorter than knee length
Black shoes, polished
Conservative necklace or scarf
Conservative shirt, pressed
Limited jewelry (wedding band, college ring, Necklace, Watch)

Good Luck

tsween
07-24-2007, 05:28 PM
i would add for women that the shoes should have a closed toe

On Autopilot
07-24-2007, 06:05 PM
Interview Attire

A common question many candidates have about the interview process is what should I wear. An important thing to remember is that the piloting profession at an airline is much like other jobs when it comes to professionalism and responsibility. Doctors, Lawyers, Accountants all have an established dress code for interviews and conducting daily business. Not wearing a red tie will not sink your interview, but generaly most people would not recommend drifting to far from the norm.

In interviewer will look at the candidate’s ability to wear a suit as an indication of their ability to conform to a uniform policy, their level of professionalism, and personal demeanor with regard to their professional progression in their career.

Interview apparel, Men:
Black or Navy suit
Black shoes, polished
Red tie (other colors may be worn but should be conservative)
Plain White shirt, pressed
Limited jewelry (wedding band, college ring, Watch)

Interview apparel, Women:
Black or Navy suit
Pants or Skirt no shorter than knee length
Black shoes, polished
Conservative necklace or scarf
Conservative shirt, pressed
Limited jewelry (wedding band, college ring, Necklace, Watch)

Good Luck

Whatever. Just show up naked, aw hell, if you want, wear a red tie. Or like a previous poster suggested, use your a$$ pennies. Funny video!! :p

rickair7777
07-24-2007, 06:16 PM
I'll let you in on the secret of aviation interviews that no one knows about...it's even better than a red tie (I didn't land my job by accident)

Today, the next penny you see, take it, and stick it up your a$$...
...and then spend it.

http://kwinkies.com/index.php?mode=blog&id=5994

Thanks for that.

Oh, I see you're on the dash...that makes more sense now :rolleyes:

SharkyBN584
07-24-2007, 07:26 PM
I'm never touching a penny again. Ever.

Especially cuz I know someone on here is going to start doing that and using them in airports.

Two-percent
07-24-2007, 08:17 PM
Don't forget to swap out the backback on the interview date because that may reflect poorly on your appearance. Also, if you happen to take your coat off during lunch or if you're too hot, remember to wear a white undershirt under your dress shirt so it will hide your barbwire tattoo on your bicep. Last, If you need inspiration just before you get called in, use those shure e2c Ipod headphones that wrap over your ears because those standard apple earbuds are just too apparent. Just some advice that worked for me.

vagabond
07-24-2007, 08:22 PM
Black suite
How does one wear a "suite?" :)

I don't wear a robe when I'm doing my judge gig, so I end up with my usual black suit. The one thing nobody has been able to make me do is wear a skirt, which I haven't done in years; however, I expect other females to wear a skirt. Strange.

I just finished interviewing a bunch of people for jobs and I can tell you that those who came in wearing anything worse or less formal than a suit were not called back for another interview. But that's just me.

IronWalt
07-24-2007, 08:30 PM
and the JOB!!!

Yaaah Know,

He is right!!! I love workin as a Chippendales Man much more than flying an airplane.

blueraider
07-24-2007, 08:38 PM
black pants, black coat, white dress shirt and one red tie = The Power Suit. All great meetings, have come with the words "wear your blue or red tie", yes the blue tie is nice but when the President gives a speech IE, The State of the Union, the tie is red. It adds to a person a type of charismah, mind the spelling it is late. :rolleyes:

N42ER
07-25-2007, 06:57 AM
Thanks for that.

Oh, I see you're on the dash...that makes more sense now :rolleyes:

what's that supposed to mean :confused: ...you think you're better than me?
...look in your pocket, I bet you have some pennies in there, don't you

POPA
07-25-2007, 07:15 AM
what's that supposed to mean :confused: ...you think you're better than me?
...look in your pocket, I bet you have some pennies in there, don't you

Game, set, and match.

Paok
07-25-2007, 07:19 AM
I didnt even wear a tie :) haha

FL600
07-25-2007, 08:17 AM
So what's a girl supposed to wear?

Preference to a pant suit or skirt? I have an ultra conservative black suit/skirt that I wear to interviews....but is it appropriate for pilot interviews....I mean, what if I have to sim? Hahhaaaaa I can see it now - heels and all.....

freezingflyboy
07-25-2007, 09:15 AM
So what's a girl supposed to wear?

Preference to a pant suit or skirt? I have an ultra conservative black suit/skirt that I wear to interviews....but is it appropriate for pilot interviews....I mean, what if I have to sim? Hahhaaaaa I can see it now - heels and all.....

Ha, never thought of that. When I interviewed, most of the girls wore pant suits. In fact, don't remember seeing a single skirt among the skirts...and I was looking;) Also had a girl who was interviewing recently poke her head in the cockpit, also wearing a pant suit. I guess if there is a sim ride, wear flats?:D

And for the record, I wore a black suit and a BLUE tie and still got the job at XJT! Judge me not by the color of my tie but by the content of my character:D

jetlaggg1984
07-25-2007, 09:45 AM
Red Tie worked for me, but I know one applicant that honestly wore a gray and pink striped tie and got the job. they are hurting for pilots so bad it doesn't matter what you wear. Just look sharp.

ChinookDriver47
07-25-2007, 11:35 AM
Odd question....what about wearing military uniforms to the interview? Are those frowned upon?

rickair7777
07-25-2007, 03:21 PM
Odd question....what about wearing military uniforms to the interview? Are those frowned upon?

I wouldn't do it. Technically I think it's legal, but it's just not done. A service academy ring is about the only outward display of military affiliation that would be safe (actually you might **** off some people with that too).

Your military history is on your resume...they won't fail to notice it, trust me.

AV8ER
07-25-2007, 03:22 PM
I wore a green tie...wanted to show that I am willing to always taxi single engine and use flap 22 landings...save the earth...I mean, put more money in my pocket...oh wait, profit sharing, whats that?