Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Latest Intel on NJ Hiring

F16Driver
08-25-2008, 07:19 AM
Directly from company recurrent:

-Plan to hire 220 more pilots before year's end. Actual number will be less than this. New hire need is dwindling slightly due to the efficiency of the new schedules.

-No signs of hiring stopping at all. This place is exploding with growth. I don't know what the planned new hire number is for next year.

-Over 3,000 qualified applicants on file. 1,000 of those have LOR's.

-Currently, 400 apps a week coming in. Hiring dept is overwhelmed. Working on revamping the entire process to make it quicker.

-only 10-20% of candidates that make it to CMH will get hired. Why? Because they want the best is what I was told.

-Why not many highly experienced guys getting hired? They don't prepare for the interview and are resting on their laurels to get them in.

Hope this helps. Good luck all.

b1rdman
08-25-2008, 08:48 AM
Directly from company recurrent:

-Plan to hire 220 more pilots before year's end. Actual number will be less than this. New hire need is dwindling slightly due to the efficiency of the new schedules.

-No signs of hiring stopping at all. This place is exploding with growth. I don't know what the planned new hire number is for next year.

-Over 3,000 qualified applicants on file. 1,000 of those have LOR's.

-Currently, 400 apps a week coming in. Hiring dept is overwhelmed. Working on revamping the entire process to make it quicker.

-only 10-20% of candidates that make it to CMH will get hired. Why? Because they want the best is what I was told.

-Why not many highly experienced guys getting hired? They don't prepare for the interview and are resting on their laurels to get them in.

Hope this helps. Good luck all.

[
Have you heard Indoc class date for September?

F16Driver
08-25-2008, 08:54 AM
No info on indoc dates.

Learflyer
08-25-2008, 09:21 AM
They don't prepare for the interview and are resting on their laurels to get them in.

You mean like turning down guys with several years of frac experience?:rolleyes:

EMBFlyer
08-25-2008, 09:23 AM
Has anybody heard what dates they're up to on contacting the phone interviewees? I did mine July 2nd and still haven't heard anything. I'm starting to get a little nervous and frustrated that I've been lost in the shuffle.

Should I send in the new app?

F16Driver
08-25-2008, 09:30 AM
I would send another app.

Edit: I misread that you did a phone int. I would not send one in that case.

aileronjam
08-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Wouldn't someone who has had the phone interview already be "in the pipeline" for the selection process? By re-sending an application, wouldn't that effectively reset that person to the "hoping to get a phone interview" phase?

I only ask because I'd like to know myself. I also had the phone interview on July 2nd and haven't heard anything directly from NetJets.

Thanks in advance!

FlyFastLiveSlow
08-25-2008, 10:12 AM
I had my phone interview mid June and was told 2-3 weeks to hear anything. It ended up being 4-5 weeks before I heard I was getting an interview at CMH. It was end of July that I was emailed about picking dates for end of this month. I've read on other threads that folks have gotten rejection letters in the mail 1 week after the phone interview. I know how hard the waiting is, but it seems like no news (up to about 6 weeks) is good news. As the previous posters have relayed, NJ is swamped with applications and I think they are honostly grinding through them looking for the best applicants. There is a new application on the website that is far shorter than the previous one--further sign that they are streamlining the process. If my experience is any indication, you should be hearing something in the next couple of weeks. Good luck!

niteav8tor
08-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Sent my app. in the first week of July. Just recieved the e-mail this morning saying thanks but no thanks. Said they are looking for better qualified applicants. I have 10000+ hrs TT, 5000+ PIC, 3000+ jet and some customer service experience.

F16Driver
08-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Wouldn't someone who has had the phone interview already be "in the pipeline" for the selection process? By re-sending an application, wouldn't that effectively reset that person to the "hoping to get a phone interview" phase?

I only ask because I'd like to know myself. I also had the phone interview on July 2nd and haven't heard anything directly from NetJets.

Thanks in advance!

If you had the phone interview, I wouldn't send another one.

Okie Play
08-25-2008, 12:06 PM
[
Have you heard Indoc class date for September?

I have an indoc class scheduled for September 15th. Don't know of any beyond that though.

Disco Dawg
08-25-2008, 02:26 PM
Congrats Okie. Was wondering how many classes they went thru this summer?

DD

Okie Play
08-25-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm not sure but the classes I remember were June 16, July 25, August 18, August 25, and now September 15. I may have forgotten a couple but believe me, I have been keeping pretty close track since June.

Flaps20
08-25-2008, 04:37 PM
I'm not sure but the classes I remember were June 16, July 25, August 18, August 25, and now September 15. I may have forgotten a couple but believe me, I have been keeping pretty close track since June.

I start on the 15th as well. Just handed in my two weeks notice today, and it will be so hard to do the last view trips on my schedule.

HIREME
08-25-2008, 04:45 PM
congrats flaps

Flaps20
08-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Ha Ha. Hey buddy thanks.

UCLAbruins
08-25-2008, 06:53 PM
Okie, flaps, congrats my NJ broddas.....what aircraft were you guys thrown into??? Something cool like a X or sovereign??

Flaps20
08-25-2008, 07:01 PM
Okie, flaps, congrats my NJ broddas.....what aircraft were you guys thrown into??? Something cool like a X or sovereign??

They assign you to the AC and don't tell you until indoc:(. I don't care what ac I'm in, but I hope it's not the Bravo. I sat in one at the interview and it was a little cramped for me (6'4"). Then again I didn't really know how to adjust the seats too well either. But hey, I'm just really blessed to being getting in. :D

flyguy37
08-25-2008, 09:11 PM

There was a July 7th indoc with 17 people in it. I think the July 25th class had 8 in it. The June 16 had 32 and I have no clue about the august classes.

flyguy37
08-25-2008, 09:17 PM
They assign you to the AC and don't tell you until indoc:(. I don't care what ac I'm in, but I hope it's not the Bravo. I sat in one at the interview and it was a little cramped for me (6'4"). Then again I didn't really know how to adjust the seats too well either. But hey, I'm just really blessed to being getting in. :D

As a fellow 6'4" guy let me tell you a big shocker. In the way of vertical room the Ultra/Encore (they don't have Bravos at NJA) has more room than the Sovereign or X. I have flown all 3. The 680 lets you slide back a little further but the ceiling cuts down lower than the Ultra. Now the Hawker 800/900 that is great. Pray you get that.

starcheckdriver
08-27-2008, 06:56 PM
For those in the 9/15 class, when did you interview in CMH? Thanks for the intel.

Okie Play
08-29-2008, 01:38 PM
For those in the 9/15 class, when did you interview in CMH? Thanks for the intel.

April 24-25

Flaps20
08-29-2008, 02:53 PM
As a fellow 6'4" guy let me tell you a big shocker. In the way of vertical room the Ultra/Encore (they don't have Bravos at NJA) has more room than the Sovereign or X. I have flown all 3. The 680 lets you slide back a little further but the ceiling cuts down lower than the Ultra. Now the Hawker 800/900 that is great. Pray you get that.

I couldn't remember which one it was. I just remember it looked like a bravo, and I love the way the hawker looks. Thanks for the info, to bad they don't let you pick anymore.

Flaps20
08-29-2008, 02:54 PM
April 24-25

Interviewed at the end of April as well. I know there are still some in my interview class that have received the formal offer but no class date.

flyguy37
08-29-2008, 03:35 PM
I couldn't remember which one it was. I just remember it looked like a bravo, and I love the way the hawker looks. Thanks for the info, to bad they don't let you pick anymore.

Yeah the not picking thing kind of sucks. I am typed in 2 of the airplanes that were assigned to other people in my class. You had guys in the 400xp who were mad because they wanted to fly a lot then you had guys who were assigned the X who didnt want to fly. There should be some system (seniority, draw numbers) to allow at least the class to pick but oh well I am happy to be here. I heard Encore Plus guys are waiting up to 6 months for IOE so if you like to sit that would be the fleet!

Flaps20
08-29-2008, 03:39 PM
What model blackberry are they giving out? Have they changed models?

flyguy37
08-29-2008, 04:20 PM
What model blackberry are they giving out? Have they changed models?

I have no idea what model it is. I am not very up to date on BB technology. It is silver and black in case that helps :)

CA1900
08-29-2008, 04:49 PM
What model blackberry are they giving out?

It's an 8700C (http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices/device-detail.jsp?navId=H0,C63,P65).

Have they changed models?

Around a year ago we changed to these; the new one's much faster. (Still not fast, but faster.)

Flaps20
08-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Thanks. I was just curious

CA1900
08-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Thanks. I was just curious

I remember having the same question after I got hired and was waiting for class, and nobody had any idea. I guess I'm a geek like that. :o

toolboX
08-30-2008, 12:49 PM
Is it true that Derinda McKinstry was let go at NetJets?

Flaps20
08-30-2008, 06:41 PM
What is the Encore+ like to fly? I have a friend that started last week and there was 2 680s and the rest were Encores. According to him, they were told that most of the classes the rest of the year were going to be Encores.

tacpilot
08-31-2008, 04:12 AM
I interviewed at the end of April and just got the official call last Tuesday, almost 4 months. Was told to expect another 5 weeks for an indoc start date.

tacpilot
08-31-2008, 04:15 AM
Derinda is still there, just in a different role.

flyguy37
08-31-2008, 05:26 AM
Derinda is still there, just in a different role.

She is completely separated from NJ.

flyguy37
08-31-2008, 05:32 AM
What is the Encore+ like to fly? I have a friend that started last week and there was 2 680s and the rest were Encores. According to him, they were told that most of the classes the rest of the year were going to be Encores.

Encore+ has the best avionics in the entire NJ fleet with the Collins Proline 21 system. Nexrad weather, chart display and fadec. There are currently people going back to recurrent who have not even flown the plane yet. So expect a long wait for IOE after training. It is a growing fleet which is great for relative seniority (vacation and sked bidding) And if it is near the bottom of the food chain so you will do far less recoveries and thus less work than the larger fleets. Some negatives....No APU, Greenhouse cockpit, small baggage compartment and for now falls under the small fleet rules so there is no 7/7 offered but that will change soon.

lemontree
09-02-2008, 03:46 PM
anyone know how many are in the Aug. and/or Sept class and when did they initially interview in Ohio?

b1rdman
09-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Thus far, it appears August and September class dates have been filled with April and May Columbus interviewees. I am not aware of any June interviewees receiving word of class dates at this time. Hope that helps.

FlyingNasaForm
09-02-2008, 05:33 PM
No one from June has heard anything good.

lemontree
09-02-2008, 05:35 PM
it does help. thanks.....i have heard there are people in the july class who interviewed in april, may, and june! is this true?

Flaps20
09-02-2008, 07:01 PM
it does help. thanks.....i have heard there are people in the july class who interviewed in april, may, and june! is this true?

I know there is one person who interviewed with me at the end of May and started in mid July. Out of the 10 that interviewed 8 received offers, and all but two have class dates.

Learflyer
09-03-2008, 05:05 AM
well, those are better odds than the past. My WHOLE interview group was turned down! 12 people!

lemontree
09-03-2008, 07:31 AM
do they have an oct. class scheduled yet?

starcheckdriver
09-04-2008, 06:01 AM
I haven't heard anyone speak of an October class. As a June interviewee, I am hoping to make a class before the end of the year.

starcheckdriver
09-04-2008, 09:12 AM
Apparently, Netjets is making phone calls this week to those who interviewed in June stating "we are still reviewing your qualifications and conducting interviews until the end of September. Expect to hear something in early October."

I don't know what that means. Maybe they are comparing the June interviewees to those in July, Aug. and Sept.? Maybe the ones getting the call will get a class date, they just don't know when? Who knows?

LukinUp
09-04-2008, 10:10 AM
Apparently, Netjets is making phone calls this week to those who interviewed in June stating "we are still reviewing your qualifications and conducting interviews until the end of September. Expect to hear something in early October."

I don't know what that means. Maybe they are comparing the June interviewees to those in July, Aug. and Sept.? Maybe the ones getting the call will get a class date, they just don't know when? Who knows?

I confirm. Just got a call from Rachel Bleckman this morning. She said exactly that.

Sounds like they may be going to a "decision board" type process where they sit down and look at all the interviewees together.

Fingers still crossed. Hope my patience pays off.

starcheckdriver
09-04-2008, 10:47 AM
LukinUp,

When did you interview?

Flaps20
09-10-2008, 06:20 PM
FWIW. The aircrafts for the Aug 25th class were 9 Sovereign, 3 Encore+, and 1 XLS.

cal73
09-13-2008, 06:33 AM
Sent my app. in the first week of July. Just recieved the e-mail this morning saying thanks but no thanks. Said they are looking for better qualified applicants. I have 10000+ hrs TT, 5000+ PIC, 3000+ jet and some customer service experience.

There has got to be somin more to this story.

SKMarz
09-14-2008, 12:17 AM
I would have to say that it appears the more hours you have, the less likely you are to get an interview. My numbers are similar, put in my application a few weeks ago and got the same e-mail last week.

Learflyer
09-14-2008, 04:05 AM
I would have to say that it appears the more hours you have, the less likely you are to get an interview. My numbers are similar, put in my application a few weeks ago and go the same e-mail last week.

true statement. They're turning down current and qualified FRACTIONAL pilots. Now, that's pickin' pepper out of fly $hit if you ask me. You've got frac guys who:

1. know how to think for themselves on a moments notice i.e. climb gradients, trip changes, etc.

2. know how to already read a trip sheet.

3. can fly ifr appches into aspen, telluride in their sleep.

4. have sat through concierge training (for customer service) at recurrent. (oh, NJA doesn't do that)

5. proven to be able to handle that schedule

But they hire guys who once worked at a restaraunt as a host because that's customer service?

NJA Capt
09-14-2008, 05:00 AM
3. can fly ifr appches into aspen, telluride in their sleep.
Maybe that's what they were afraid of.

It's not always about what you can do. It's more about being able to tell an owner you can not do something (safety) and be ready with a viable alternative. (IE...Sorry Sir, ASE wx isn't acceptable today. However, We'd like to offer GJT and RIL as options.)

Some frac companies have policies that NJA does not accept. So if you answered your climb gradient/minimums question based on one of brand x's policies, it probably wasn't what they wanted to hear.

Learflyer
09-14-2008, 06:34 AM
Maybe that's what they were afraid of.

It's not always about what you can do. It's more about being able to tell an owner you can not do something (safety) and be ready with a viable alternative. (IE...Sorry Sir, ASE wx isn't acceptable today. However, We'd like to offer GJT and RIL as options.)

Some frac companies have policies that NJA does not accept. So if you answered your climb gradient/minimums question based on one of brand x's policies, it probably wasn't what they wanted to hear.

Um, yeah I know. That was my point. Ok, so I left the "sorry sir, ase wx isn't acceptable today" quote out of my list of stuff. ALL frac pilots know how to talk the pax was another point I was trying to make. BTW, why would another policy be something NJA wouldn't want to hear?

flyguy37
09-14-2008, 06:50 AM
Learflyer get over it man and get back to your sim!!!! Just because you once flew for a frac doesn't make you the best candidate. If you leave one frac what makes them think you wouldn't leave another one!

Learflyer
09-14-2008, 07:40 AM
"Just because you once flew for a frac doesn't make you the best candidate."

umm, yeah it does! shat your yapper! :)