Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : HELP: Replacing suitcase wheels

bgmann
04-05-2009, 08:02 AM
Anyone out there have the experience of replacing suitcase wheels? You would think that the internet would be loaded with "Travelpro Wheel Rebuild Kits". But you would be surprised, there are none...

Heres what I've got: Travelpro suitcase, I believe my wheels are 72mm, they have bearings. But what diameter size bearings? Why do I have to buy a 4 or 8 pack of rollerblade inline wheels for 2 wheels?

Someone help me that has done this...what did you do?... :eek:

andy171773
04-05-2009, 08:15 AM
Anyone out there have the experience of replacing suitcase wheels? You would think that the internet would be loaded with "Travelpro Wheel Rebuild Kits". But you would be surprised, there are none...

Heres what I've got: Travelpro suitcase, I believe my wheels are 72mm, they have bearings. But what diameter size bearings? Why do I have to buy a 4 or 8 pack of rollerblade inline wheels for 2 wheels?

I think any crewoutfitters will fix it for you, and give you a loaner bag while you wait.

That's all i got though, good luck duder.

Meccathor
04-05-2009, 08:18 AM
I just went down to play it again sports and bought 2 rollerblade wheels and two new bearings. Took old wheels off, put new ones on. Problem sovled. Only cost a couple of bucks.

soon2bfo
04-05-2009, 08:23 AM
Rollerblade wheels, the hard ones, not the soft ones. They will outlast any suitcase wheels that you will find. You will also need two small, thin, brass washers from any hardware store to fit over the axle. I have had mine on for 2 years, and they are still in great shape.

bgmann
04-05-2009, 08:53 AM
It's hard to express how frustrating it is. All the luggage stores do not carry parts in stock, and they send the suitcase out for 2 weeks for repair. Sports authority have rollerblade wheels sold in packs of 4 or 8 at $40 and then have to buy pack of bearings for $20.

Why should it be so difficult?

CaptKrunch
04-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Make sure when you get new wheels that they have the little flashing lights in them.

flyerfly
04-05-2009, 09:32 AM
Yea those look soooo professional! On the other hand in DCA when we walk across the ramp they might be helpful so we don't get taken out....

Short Bus Drive
04-05-2009, 10:32 AM
The only place I know is the Stop-Over-Store in DTW (there is also one in MSP). Can go online, or even call. They are very helpful. http://www.stopoverstore.com/product/nav.cfm/pnid/355/nid/397
Have you tried the local luggage repair?

Boy, I really need to get a job. Try this if you need 72 mm "rims":
http://www.flightattendantshop.com/product/detail.cfm/nid/34/pid/281

JoeyMeatballs
04-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Make sure when you get new wheels that they have the little flashing lights in them.

classic I saw a CAL 777 CA with these, it was pure awesomeness :)

145Driver
04-05-2009, 11:55 AM
I had this problem with the Luggage Works rollaboard I have. The bearings are going bad. I called LW, and they happily shipped me two new bearings for free, covered by the warranty. TravelPro might have something similar? Otherwise you might try ebay for wheels/bearings.

RAHPilot5
04-05-2009, 01:15 PM
classic I saw a CAL 777 CA with these, it was pure awesomeness :)

I saw a XJT MEC Italian guy with them on his bags.

hahahahaha:p:D

neibert12
04-05-2009, 03:54 PM

As one poster mentioned, Play-It-Again sports would probably be your best option. Another, would be to find a hockey store (not a chain sporting goods store) that also sells roller hockey equipment. They will sell individual wheels at approximately 5-10 bucks a wheel. Harder wheels will last longer and also will be cheaper (78A or 80A).

Wipe the bearings with some paper towel to remove any dirt and apply some lubricant (which you should also be able to buy at the hockey store). Just don't use WD-40.

Also, try this website,

Inline Hockey Wheels - 608 Core (http://www.rollerhockeymonkey.com/wheels-view-all-608.html)

There are some on there within the 5 dollar range.

elcid79
04-05-2009, 04:16 PM
or you can call travel pro and get oem parts. A complete wheel assembly is really cheap, it takes about 5 minutes depending upon which model you have. i have the either crew 3 or 5 and the wheel assembly just unscrews. Travel pro sent me a new wheel and bearings for just a few dollars, if not free and i paid for shipping, i can not exactly remember. Cheers.

Yzerman
04-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Went to the stopover store in DTW and got 2 wheels and bearings for like $15. One of the axles wouldn't come out though, so I had to go to the hardware store and buy a 1/4" rod and have it cut to size.

B757CA
04-07-2009, 12:46 PM
The little flashing light wheels come from toy stores in Shanghai and Bejiing....they cost like 50 cents each and the battery dies in about 5 days.....

espee
04-08-2009, 09:39 AM
Travelpro wheels are fairly easy to replace because you can remove the wheel housing with just a screwdriver. I once destroyed a Samsonite bag trying to replace the riveted axle wheels.

I bought a pack of rollerblade-style wheels from a local sporting goods store. Most bags take wheels in the 72-76mm range, however there are some brands which use much smaller inline wheels as well. I got wheels with pre-installed bearings...ABEC 3's I think it was?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3539/3424602568_4be42e6db9_o.jpg

You are correct that a pack of wheels is not cheap. But, consider that a pack of eight wheels will provide enough for the rest of your flying career. Or you can do what I did. When I'd fly with a crewmember who was complaining about the bad wheels on their bag, I would offer to replace the wheels with some of the extras I had. A small screwdriver and five minutes later, they'd have a bag that rolled like new. I wouldn't quote a particular price for this service, but most would toss me ten or fifteen bucks. After two sets, I had covered the cost of the original pack of wheels.

Some bags have "wide" bearings that serve to keep the wheel centered. Like someone above mentioned, you can use small washers on either side of the wheel to accomplish this--I use nylon washers. I've found that even inexpensive inline skate wheels are much better than the factory wheels that come with the bags; with most original wheels I've had, either the bearings go bad, or with my more recent travelpro, the plastic core in the center of the wheel actually broke.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3356/3423794939_27c9b92e63_o.jpg

Slice
04-08-2009, 11:18 AM

Sadly, I've seen more than one RJ FO parading around with them.:rolleyes:

Kaptain
08-10-2010, 05:23 AM
The housing came out easy but it appears the axle is rivited. How is that removed?

OnMyWay
08-10-2010, 07:04 AM
Or you could go into the PSA CLT crewroom at night and pick any rollerbag left in there. Place it on 4 cinderblocks and jack the wheels off of any poor unsuspecting suckers bag. Seats and stereo are optional.

Bug Smasher
08-10-2010, 07:08 AM
I helped a guy replace the wheels on his bag, and it had a rivet/pressed fit roll pin for an axle. We drilled it out and used AN-3 bolts and nuts for the replacement. That'd be about a -28 length, I guess.. Just go to the hardware store and eyeball it. If you're not using aircraft parts it's cheap enough to get a few lengths and see what works.

rampa75
06-23-2011, 01:25 AM
I have a HP 17" Deluxe Roller Case Model GD405AA
the wheels are consumed as you can see
Does anybody know where I can find new ones?
C:\Users\Michele\Pictures\var\IMAG0923.jpg

ehaeckercfi
06-23-2011, 05:49 AM
Anybody ever replaced the wheels on the Purdy Neat Stealth bag? Mine need to be replaced. After a quick glance, it looks like a little more in-depth than one would think.

usmc-sgt
06-23-2011, 09:50 AM
I have a HP 17" Deluxe Roller Case Model GD405AA
C:\Users\Michele\Pictures\var\IMAG0923.jpg

Not how the image tags work Michele. This site does not host pictures from your hard drive. You need to host them from photobucket or similar and then stick the direct link to your picture in between the and

As for me..I had a bag which had the axels that were just little nubs molded into the bags plastic so you could not replace the wheels. The wheels disintegrated and a quick trip to lowes and 30 minutes had me up and running. I heated up the axels with a torch which melted the plastic socket they were in. Once hot enough I simply pulled the 4" axels (2) out with pliars. I bought 4 inline wheels at Walmart for dirt cheap and then took those to Lowes to select the appropriate diameter aluminum rod. I drilled out the bag and drove the axel through the bottom of the bag and cut it to size. Slipped the wheels on with appropriate washers for spacing and then used a cotter pin at the end to keep them on and for nascar like quick changes in the future.

Moral of the story...there is none. Be a man and dismantle that bag like a workshop hero and slap some inline wheels on there.

rampa75
07-01-2011, 12:45 AM
:(I have a HP 17" Deluxe Roller Case Model GD405AA
Pictures by rampa75 - Photobucket (http://s1095.photobucket.com/albums/i464/rampa75/)