Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Ipad with weather in flight.

cobber
11-25-2010, 03:34 PM
Anyone know what the deal is with the ipad and XM weather availability? We are looking get one in our a/c and im having a hard time getting any answers from Apple We have a Bluetooth GPS receiver AND a Bluetooth GPS antenna that we would like to link to the ipad but I cant even find out if the ipad can support multiple Bluetooth connections simultaneously. Anybody out there in a similar situation with their aircraft?

zyttocs
11-25-2010, 07:06 PM
I've been thinking the same thing. A buddy of mine is using one in flight for approach plates in a Lear 35. He really likes it and says that although he isn't linked to weather while in flight it can be done. He use's a G396 for the weather.

cobber
11-26-2010, 08:50 AM
I've been thinking the same thing. A buddy of mine is using one in flight for approach plates in a Lear 35. He really likes it and says that although he isn't linked to weather while in flight it can be done. He use's a G396 for the weather.

You think if you get a chance to talk to your buddy in the near future you could pick his brain on how to get the inflight weather? Our aircraft doesnt have a wireless data link or satellite so I think XM is our only option but theres no application for that on the Ipad as far as I can tell. The notepad we have in there now was $3200 and is Windows based, pretty slow and has a terrible display. Although what doesnt compared to the Ipad...

Shoot me a PM if find anything out. Thanks!

Likeabat
11-26-2010, 11:39 AM
My brother uses an Ipad for all charts (Jeppview and Foreflight) on a Falcon 50 - but as yet they don't have any XM weather displayed on it. Instead, they have inflight wireless for the pax in back - they just tag off of that and get all of the real time wx they want, although it certainly isn't as convienent as simply having the weather overlaid on your flightplan/route.

But without the wireless datalink, I don't know what your options would be. How is that for not helping at all?

grimmdj
11-26-2010, 02:13 PM
We looked into using the XM weather from our EFB's into the I-Pad.
Not there yet. We use the the I-Pad with the aircraft internet and the WSI is still there on a EFB.
They say it will happen.
Dave

BoilerUP
11-26-2010, 03:11 PM
I believe there are ways to "hack" or "jailbreak" the iPad so that it uses the WxWorks bluetooth XM receiver - but I have no idea how that might work or what app it would require.

cobber
11-26-2010, 03:45 PM
My brother uses an Ipad for all charts (Jeppview and Foreflight) on a Falcon 50 - but as yet they don't have any XM weather displayed on it. Instead, they have inflight wireless for the pax in back - they just tag off of that and get all of the real time wx they want, although it certainly isn't as convienent as simply having the weather overlaid on your flightplan/route.

But without the wireless datalink, I don't know what your options would be. How is that for not helping at all?

Thats perfect, I feel like I know less now than I did before I posted! :D

Well it sound s like a waiting game and therefore probably not worth the $1000 + to get everything you would need to protect and power the thing in the cockpit. Im familiar with jail braking the iphone but I dont know anything about the ipad and would hate to buy it, take it off the grid and then not be able to figure out how to get the weather.

The chart function wouldn't really work for us as our Challenger is on a 135 ticket and legally requires that we carry the paper charts. Plus no one wants to go through the pain in the a$$ of getting it certified for use with EFB's that arent technically certified as EFB's.

Sucks, that Ipad is beautiful....

The dude
11-29-2010, 06:23 AM
Sucks, that Ipad is beautiful....

It definately is. We started using the IPAD for EFB's and we have wireless internet on our G4 so we have all the weather via the internet we want. Problem is trying to pay attention so we don't overfly Minneapolis.

cobber
11-29-2010, 07:09 AM
It definately is. We started using the IPAD for EFB's and we have wireless internet on our G4 so we have all the weather via the internet we want. Problem is trying to pay attention so we don't overfly Minneapolis.

Sounds like you need an extra flight attendant with a watch! :)

SLOLIFEPILOT
11-30-2010, 11:28 AM
I really want the Ipad for its display as well. We have been using a Samsung that we purchased from Anywhere Maps. We installed the XM and GPS antennas when we got the plane a year and a half ago. I struggled a little with switching between the Anywhere maps moving map and the Jepp flight deck for the approach plates. After some adjusting, I have the unit set up now where I only use Flight Deck. The XM WX overlay on the Jepp enroute map and GPS signal moving the map display. It works great. The map can be set up however you want. Weather, terrain, and gives all current weather. I would love to have all of this on the Ipad. Ours is all set up bluetooth, the only wire is the charging cable.

NYSPK9
12-12-2010, 04:12 PM
I purchased the iEFB App from Flight Guide (e version of the little brown book) and have the Pro subscription ($219.00/yr) The Pro version includes Flight Guide, NOS approach charts, along with high and low enroute charts. When I signed up for the subscription, they were advertising that a wifi GPS would be available late 2010, early 2011, which will provide geo-sync capability to overlay your aircraft position on whatever chart you are using. I just got an email saying that the wifi GPS will be available in January 2011, and it will be upgraded in the future to include XM weather and ADS-B capability. I pre-ordered the GPS, so I will report on it when I receive it. www.flightguide.com (http://www.flightguide.com)

BoilerUP
12-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Evidently a German company makes a bluetooth GPS that will integrate with iPad and (from one guy who uses two of them) works great through a heated windshield:

New Products: GNS - Global Navigation Systems (http://www.gns-gmbh.com/index.php?id=72&L=1)

geosynchronus
12-13-2010, 03:47 AM
Has anyone out there had an iPad fail DO160 (depressurization/EMI/shock) testing?

topprospect16
12-13-2010, 01:38 PM
Has anyone out there had an iPad fail DO160 (depressurization/EMI/shock) testing?

I had mine sitting on the dash below the windshield during a warm summer day. 10 minutes later I picked it back up to begin briefing an approach and it had a message to some effect, "cooling off.". I honestly thought it was a joke, but while I was on final she came back to life. Had the paper so it wasn't a big deal, just reminded myself to have those charts up to date and within reach.

Aside from that day, no failures so far, it has been a great tool.

geosynchronus
12-14-2010, 03:22 AM
Good information, thanks!

Mink
12-16-2010, 01:44 PM

I'd love to use an iPad for an EFB, but is that legal? If so, where does it say so? What do you have to have as a back up, paper charts or could you have a backup iPad? Obviously iPads are all over the place in corporate flight departments, but would like to know where to go to find the facts on what's legal, what's required, etc., so I can go to the CP and make an argument to get us into iPads. Appreciate any help. Thanks.

PS - Ours is a Part 91 operation.

BoilerUP
12-16-2010, 01:48 PM
I'd love to use an iPad for an EFB, but is that legal? If so, where does it say so?What do you have to have as a back up, paper charts or could you have a backup iPad? Obviously iPads are all over the place in corporate flight departments, but would like to know where to go to find the facts on what's legal, what's required, etc., so I can go to the CP and make an argument to get us into iPads. Appreciate any help. Thanks.

PS - Ours is a Part 91 operation.

Yes, the iPad is legal for Part91 ops...but you won't find any FAA guidance specifically mentioning iPad.

AC91-78 will point you in the right direction and answer your questions above; AC120-76A might also provide some helpful information.

Mink
12-16-2010, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll look up the AC's. We are getting a CJ4 in Feb and it would seem to me that an iPad would be a great back up to what's already built into the avionics suite.

BoilerUP
12-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Lucky you with the CJ4; Cessna is "close" to releasing an iPad version of CESNAV which will initially include the CJ3, CJ4, Sovereign, Mustang and 3 other types...but not the CJ2+!

FWIW, our 2009 CJ2+ has the PL21 file server (electronic charts) and we used to have a $3000 Dell tablet for chart backup, which we recently turned back in to IT and replaced with a $629 16gig 3G iPad.

Mink
12-16-2010, 02:22 PM
Cool. Glad Cessna is working on an iPad version of CESSNAV. Another reason to get one for the CJ4.

Thanks for the info - I'm going to work on convincing the boss.

Ewfflyer
12-17-2010, 04:53 AM
Anyone know how to change the "screen lock" button back to it's original function. I did the latest software update, and it changed it to a "volume mute" function instead. I'm not happy about this and wouldn't have done the update had I known the results.

BoilerUP
12-17-2010, 04:56 AM
I'm holding off on the iOS update for just that reason...

auaviator
12-17-2010, 10:54 AM
I don't know how to change it to the original function, but the way to do it now is to double tap the center button and then scroll on the way to the left and tap the lock function. Not as easy as it used to be but still works.

topprospect16
12-17-2010, 11:40 PM
Anyone know how to change the "screen lock" button back to it's original function. I did the latest software update, and it changed it to a "volume mute" function instead. I'm not happy about this and wouldn't have done the update had I known the results.

Reinstall the older version. Go to a site like download.com and install the older version back in. Bunch of videos on you tube that can walk you through it.

Ewfflyer
12-20-2010, 04:47 AM
Thanks, the double-tap works!

bshettel
02-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Anyone know what the deal is with the ipad and XM weather availability? We are looking get one in our a/c and im having a hard time getting any answers from Apple We have a Bluetooth GPS receiver AND a Bluetooth GPS antenna that we would like to link to the ipad but I cant even find out if the ipad can support multiple Bluetooth connections simultaneously. Anybody out there in a similar situation with their aircraft?
1st, a disclaimer... I am NOT a professional pilot, just GA private STUDENT pilot. I've been a Mac professional for the last 9 years, so in THAT area perhaps I can help. I got the cheap, non-3G iPad model and have outfitted it with a little Bad Elf GPS (Amazon.com: Bad Elf GPS Receiver for iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad (66-channel, SBAS/WAAS, 10Hz): Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035Y7ZJ2)). I use Air Navigation Pro (see the App Store) to back up my usual nav units in the aircraft, and its sister application AeroWeather for my in flight weather reports. With Verizon now handling Apple products on their network, you can get a Verizon MiFi 3G wireless router that talks to the iPad through its wireless (not bluetooth) connection. A 1 Gig/month data plan is $20. That's plenty of data for TAFs and METARs. The data is always refreshed before an hour elapses, which compares nicely with the XM broadcasts. I'm not sure the Verizon reception is any good up in Class A, but, it's hard NOT to find it down below 18K ft.

I'll keep researching the stuff an XM receiver that will talk to the iPad without jailbreaking it. At the pace that Apps and accessories are being produced for the iPad, it probably won't be long...

dbtownley
02-21-2011, 05:51 AM
Take a look at the SkyRadar app plus their special piece of hardware to get this type of stuff. I did some research on the bluetooth GPS issue and Apple iPad does not support that type (its either serial or parallel) of connection. I am sure Apple does not want you to use a bluetooth GPS, they want you to buy the 3G version (+$130 more) becuase it has a built in A-GPS.

***You CAN use a bluetooth GPS IF you jailbreak the iPad.***

cobber
02-21-2011, 09:20 AM
Take a look at the SkyRadar app plus their special piece of hardware to get this type of stuff. I did some research on the bluetooth GPS issue and Apple iPad does not support that type (its either serial or parallel) of connection. I am sure Apple does not want you to use a bluetooth GPS, they want you to buy the 3G version (+$130 more) becuase it has a built in A-GPS.

***You CAN use a bluetooth GPS IF you jailbreak the iPad.***

Looking at the Foreflight website it looks as though there is a bluetooth GPS available for the iPad (works on both versions according to the reviews) that allows geo-referencing to be had. Ive looked at the SkyRadar as well but we already have ADS-B and that receiver is huge compared to the GPS counterpart. I just got an email back form Foreflight and they said that the weather overlay is a very high priority for them but they didnt say whether it was XM or not nor did they give a time line. Im guess im still a little shoched that XM hasnt stepped up on this issue.

This is the GPS Foreflight has linked on their web page.

Amazon.com: GNS 5870 MFI Bluetooth GPS Receiver Made for iPhone/iPad/iTouch: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004289ZW0?ie=UTF8&tag=foll0b-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B004289ZW0)

dbtownley
02-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Looking at the Foreflight website it looks as though there is a bluetooth GPS available for the iPad (works on both versions according to the reviews) that allows geo-referencing to be had. Ive looked at the SkyRadar as well but we already have ADS-B and that receiver is huge compared to the GPS counterpart. I just got an email back form Foreflight and they said that the weather overlay is a very high priority for them but they didnt say whether it was XM or not nor did they give a time line. Im guess im still a little shoched that XM hasnt stepped up on this issue.

This is the GPS Foreflight has linked on their web page.

Amazon.com: GNS 5870 MFI Bluetooth GPS Receiver Made for iPhone/iPad/iTouch: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004289ZW0?ie=UTF8&tag=foll0b-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B004289ZW0)

Cobber,

Thanks! That is exactly what I am looking for. I am a little ****ed b/c I bought a WiFi only iPad b/c I already had a bluetooth GPS, and it didnt pair. It looks like I will be getting something in the mail from Amazon soon.

Mink
02-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Lucky you with the CJ4; Cessna is "close" to releasing an iPad version of CESNAV which will initially include the CJ3, CJ4, Sovereign, Mustang and 3 other types...but not the CJ2+!

FWIW, our 2009 CJ2+ has the PL21 file server (electronic charts) and we used to have a $3000 Dell tablet for chart backup, which we recently turned back in to IT and replaced with a $629 16gig 3G iPad.

Got the CJ4 last week. Any updates that you know of from Cessna regarding CESSNAV products for the iPad?

Thx.

cobber
02-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Cobber,

Thanks! That is exactly what I am looking for. I am a little ****ed b/c I bought a WiFi only iPad b/c I already had a bluetooth GPS, and it didnt pair. It looks like I will be getting something in the mail from Amazon soon.

Happy to help!

BoilerUP
02-21-2011, 03:51 PM
Got the CJ4 last week. Any updates that you know of from Cessna regarding CESSNAV products for the iPad?

Thx.

Haven't heard anything; email Rob Below who works in Pilot Support @ Cessna and he can give you the full scoop.

..and let us know what he says...

Mink
02-21-2011, 04:22 PM
Haven't heard anything; email Rob Below who works in Pilot Support @ Cessna and he can give you the full scoop.

..and let us know what he says...

WILCO. Rob and I have talked in the past...

BoilerUP
02-21-2011, 04:23 PM
How you likin' that CJ4? I'd LOVE to get my boss in one (and I'm sure Cessna would love to put him in one) but I doubt he'd be in the check-writing mood

Mink
02-21-2011, 04:32 PM
How you likin' that CJ4? I'd LOVE to get my boss in one (and I'm sure Cessna would love to put him in one) but I doubt he'd be in the check-writing mood

Like it a lot. Reminds me a little of our CX. All autopilot stuff up on the glare shield, full EI-CAS system, real speed brakes and ground spoilers, lots of power and good speed/range. With four displays up front, the options for what's in front of you are almost endless. Some Gucci interior stuff, too. They seem to have fixed any of the little annoyances of the CJ3 (there were not many). My pet peeve in the 3 was no light/indication (other than switches that are hard to see in the dark) of anti-ice being on. In the 4, CAS tells you. However, I wish in the "dispatch" position of the avionics switch your fuel load would come up in the 4. (Had to find something to gripe about :) )

I'm still flying the 3, so that should keep me sufficiently confused.

Mink
02-22-2011, 08:08 AM
Here's what Cessna has to say about iPad and Cessna programs:

CESNAV as we know it (which includes CLCalc, EOM, CLCalc) was developed
in a Windows environment, and will not run on iPad, but we are working
with a vendor (Aircraft Performance Group) on another flight planning
package called iPreflight.

APG will actually be releasing the app, which will be separate from
CESNAV. We are providing APG with data, and assisting with the release
of iPreflight.

The "normal" version of iPreflight will use AFM data, and the "enhanced"
version will use CPCalc data, as quickly as we can make it available.
iPreflight will also feature ATC route structure preferred IFR routing,
links to weather and flight plan filing. A graphic W&B Calculator is
integrated into iPreflight.

We saw the prototype in December and again a few weeks ago. APG is
planning to release a beta version for testing within a month.
Pricing will be $1500 / yr through APG. Their website is www.flyapg.com
I have added your name to my contact list, to be notified of new
progress. I hope this is helpful.

A. Robert Below, Jr.
Comm-Multi-Inst CE-510
Sr. Customer Support Engineer
Citation Pilot Services
316-517-6686

Mink
02-22-2011, 09:05 AM
Some follow up. I asked this:

Rob,

One question - to fully move all Cessna electronic support programs to
an iPad, will we need to be subscribers to both CESNAV and APG? I guess
what I'm asking is, will we need to pay for two services to get the full
CESNAV suite?

Thanks.

His reply:

That is an excellent question. I am not sure whether anyone has
considered making the AFM, OM, and CL accessible through the APG app.
CESNAV and APG's iPreflight will indeed be separate subscriptions.
As it stands today, the only way to get an electronic version of the AFM
is through CESNAV, on a Windows based platform.
By virtue of their involvement with CESNAV, Onboard Data Systems does
distribute these manuals via the internet, but only as an add-on to
CESNAV.

I am copying our strategists, and my partner in pilot services.

cobber
03-31-2011, 09:45 PM
Warm up your Ipads boys - Its here!!!

Finally....

https://www.baronservices.com/news_pdf/MobileLink.pdf

Likeabat
04-01-2011, 03:28 AM
Warm up your Ipads boys - Its here!!!

Finally....

https://www.baronservices.com/news_pdf/MobileLink.pdf

Excellent! Although I'm still unclear as far as what to use for an antenna and receiver. Sounds like things are rapidly on the right track, though.

"In order to view XM WX data on mobile devices, pilots will need an XM WX subscription, antenna and receiver, in addition to the Mobile Link itself and the mobile app of their choice.

BoilerUP
04-01-2011, 03:36 AM
Excellent! Although I'm still unclear as far as what to use for an antenna and receiver.

WxWorx box.

Likeabat
04-01-2011, 04:10 AM
Ah-ha - I see it now. This is what you are referring to?

WxWorx Blog (http://blog.wxworx.com/post/87)

Although on second thought...this box looks like it converts the XM info to a wireless signal - but what about the actual XM receiver and antenna itself? It all looks promising!

DaMoose
04-05-2011, 07:29 AM
Does anyone have problems receiving a sat. signal through the heated windshield? My portable sat radio won't work through them, unless it's seated against a side window away from the heating elements, or sitting on the ramp. I wonder if it's going to be easy to use in a portable way, or if it will encounter the same problems?

Falconone
04-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Does anyone have problems receiving a sat. signal through the heated windshield? My portable sat radio won't work through them, unless it's seated against a side window away from the heating elements, or sitting on the ramp. I wonder if it's going to be easy to use in a portable way, or if it will encounter the same problems?
We put our hockey puck receiver near the outer or inner corners of the windshield and got the best signal there.