Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Youngest Jet Crew

mcartier713
01-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Just curious.. the other day I saw a relatively young crew hop out of a light jet. What's the youngest combined age flight crew you have seen?

Stringer
01-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Just curious.. the other day I saw a relatively young crew hop out of a light jet. What's the youngest combined age flight crew you have seen?

Flew a Hawker 800 with a combined age of 67, 35 and 22. Not sure if that was particularly young but thought it was a good starting point.

USMCFLYR
01-03-2011, 10:24 AM
I was on an AF C-21 back in 93 with two 1st Lts from Scott AFB to Barksdale AFB. They were probably between 23-25 years old each.

USMCFLYR

FlyingNasaForm
01-03-2011, 10:33 AM
I was a 25, FO was 23, FA was 18.

BoilerUP
01-03-2011, 12:13 PM
In March 2008 when I was promoted to Chief Pilot I was 24 years old; the pilot we hired to fill our vacancy at that time was also 24 years old. Combined age: 48.

We were both 25 when we took delivery of our CJ2+ new from Cessna in March 2009; that actually got us more bewildered looks from folks than any FBO we walked into.

clipperskipper
01-03-2011, 01:46 PM
There was a FDX diesel 10 Captain featured in an older issue of Pro Pilot, I think that he was 31, and more recently a Citation X Captain of 23 at EJA.

PW305
01-03-2011, 02:13 PM
47 for me... 24/23

mcartier713
01-03-2011, 02:21 PM
46 for me... 24/22

very nice.. same as us actually (altho we were hired at 23/21). where you at? we haven't seen anyone even close to us..

Thedude
01-03-2011, 02:23 PM
727 crew - 28, 28, 26

Jughead
01-03-2011, 02:34 PM
My F/O and I were fairly young (30's and 20's), but my 3 F/A's (60's) skewed the average.;)

Guess which airline.

I've actually flown with a F/A who was hired on the same day I was born. :(

PW305
01-03-2011, 02:47 PM
very nice.. same as us actually (altho we were hired at 23/21). where you at? we haven't seen anyone even close to us..

That was a few years back.. pushing 'late' 20's now. Actually Boiler and I have a very similar story. If he likes beer too we got a full blown coincidence.

BoilerUP
01-03-2011, 02:50 PM
That was a few years back.. pushing 'late' 20's now. Actually Boiler and I have a very similar story. If he likes beer too we got a full blown coincidence.

Hell yeah I like beer...especially if you're bringing Alaskan Amber or anything made by Big Sky Brewery.

NowCorporate
01-03-2011, 03:48 PM

Myself and friends flew charter Learjets in our early-mid 20's...I was a PIC at 24yrs old. Nobody stayed much past 30 unless you had a horrid background, lol. So the combined age ranged from 48-60.

Also knew a sub 25yr old GIV crew.

NOW...I did schedule crews for a large department and had an (off the books) 120yr rule on trips longer than 10hrs. A long haul pilot is useless after age 60....:)

Now I'm too old for beer, ah the good ole' days..

Cubdriver
01-03-2011, 04:20 PM
There was a kid a few years back who stole a Citation and single-piloted it from Orlando to Atlanta. I think he was 18 or 19. He did not get caught until the airplane turned up missing. He always wanted to fly a jet so by golly he did.

gearmaid
01-03-2011, 05:15 PM
I was an FO at 20 on a CRJ with a 23 year old captain and a 19 year old FA.

wizepilot
01-03-2011, 07:48 PM
Kids!!!!!;)

hawkesaurus
01-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Hawker 800 cap at 23 with a 24yr old f/o...fun times!!

SLOLIFEPILOT
01-04-2011, 02:40 PM
I'm way out of this race, I'm 37 and my F/O is 64. :cool:

mmaviator
01-04-2011, 07:32 PM
how about the youngest jet OWNER?

usmc-sgt
01-05-2011, 05:38 AM
There is a kid on Jetcareers that is flying two different jet types...Not sure how old he is but I am almost positive he is under 20 as PIC.

BeRich
01-05-2011, 01:29 PM
There is a kid on Jetcareers that is flying two different jet types...Not sure how old he is but I am almost positive he is under 20 as PIC.

I think you're talking about CK? His profile says he's 22...still pretty impressive

pilotkitch
01-05-2011, 04:01 PM
I'm way out of the running, GIV 3 pilot operation I'm 29 but followed by 65 and 63......

What does the winner get...... Kids meal???

BeRich
01-05-2011, 04:05 PM
I'm way out of the running, GIV 3 pilot operation I'm 29 but followed by 65 and 63......

What does the winner get...... Kids meal???

A big hug!

Iowapilot
01-05-2011, 05:17 PM
Don't you need an ATP to fly most jets and need to be 23 to get an ATP?

BeRich
01-05-2011, 05:34 PM
Don't you need an ATP to fly most jets and need to be 23 to get an ATP?

I'm 95% sure you don't need an ATP to fly anything corporate.

NowCorporate
01-05-2011, 05:44 PM

Every corporate type rated pilot can call himself a PIC.

PIC as in FSI qualified PIC (thats everyone) or out there actually making all the decisions? (not everyone)

Not that I care if the guy is 12yrs old..but off the internet boards theres a major difference in the 2.

TwinTurboPilot
01-05-2011, 07:17 PM
Not a normal occurrence, but a few months ago we needed a contract guy for a 3 day trip to LAS while the CP went to recurrent, couldn't find one. So I gave a friend of mine his 61.55, he was 21 I was 24. This is on a Citation XLS, which could very easily be single pilot. There are other jets ive flown i would never agree to this on though. defiantly got a few odd looks when we pulled up to the Atlantic ramp

usmc-sgt
01-06-2011, 04:15 AM
Every corporate type rated pilot can call himself a PIC.

PIC as in FSI qualified PIC (thats everyone) or out there actually making all the decisions? (not everyone)

Not that I care if the guy is 12yrs old..but off the internet boards theres a major difference in the 2.

The gentleman I mentioned is the latter. He is PIC and makes the calls, not just a typed pilot who sits left seat on occasional legs.

You guys were right..hes 22. He has had a good run to date flying 91 in a conquest and meridien at around 18 years old and now is into the jet(s). Pretty good story, he is well ahead of the power curve at this stage of his career.

7Xdriver
01-06-2011, 05:03 AM
The gentleman I mentioned is the latter. He is PIC and makes the calls, not just a typed pilot who sits left seat on occasional legs.

You guys were right..hes 22. He has had a good run to date flying 91 in a conquest and meridien at around 18 years old and now is into the jet(s). Pretty good story, he is well ahead of the power curve at this stage of his career.

I had a student like him once. He "flew" through his pvt,comm,CFI,multi and purchased his own ATP/type in a citation at 24. He got a job with a corp flying as Captain for a few years. He got bored and left the industry and went into software developement and he was never heard from again.

Sometimes it is not good to advance too fast :)

NowCorporate
01-06-2011, 05:10 AM
I had a student like him once. He "flew" through his pvt,comm,CFI,multi and purchased his own ATP/type in a citation at 24. He got a job with a corp flying as Captain for a few years. He got bored and left the industry and went into software developement and he was never heard from again.

Sometimes it is not good to advance too fast :)

Maybe he rides in back now.

:)

usmc-sgt
01-06-2011, 06:26 AM
Maybe he rides in back now.

:)

Now THAT is advancement!

mcartier713
01-06-2011, 01:36 PM
The one you're talking about is my co-captain :p Alex. We were both typed in the Falcon 10 and Westwind @ 21 and 23.

FlyHigh88
01-07-2011, 06:10 AM
Im 22 in a DA 900EX, not bad i guess

NJA Capt
01-09-2011, 04:04 PM
...and more recently a Citation X Captain of 23 at EJA.
Not too sure how accurate that is. All newhires at NJA have an ATP but there haven't been any upgrades for a long time, especially in the X.

There was a kid a few years back who stole a Citation and single-piloted it from Orlando to Atlanta. I think he was 18 or 19. He did not get caught until the airplane turned up missing. He always wanted to fly a jet so by golly he did.

Not exactly. He was 22 and was already flying a Westwind with his father. They landed in Fl one night and decided to take a neighboring Citation VII on a joy ride. He left it in GA and airlined back to FL to complete the trip with his father.

Georgia Pilot Arrested in Citation VII Theft: AINonline (http://www.ainonline.com/news/single-news-page/article/georgia-pilot-arrested-in-citation-vii-theft-6675/)

Pilot who stole small jet receives 4-year sentence | Jacksonville.com (http://jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/032808/met_262505377.shtml)

MoonFallsDown
01-13-2011, 12:48 PM
I'm 22 years old and recently got hired to fly a Hawker 400/ Beechjet 400 with a Part 135 Charter

BoilerUP
01-13-2011, 04:09 PM
I'm 22 years old and recently got hired to fly a Hawker 400/ Beechjet 400 with a Part 135 Charter

Congrats on the job!

RickyBobby
01-26-2011, 06:34 PM
Flew a Hawker 800 with a combined age of 67, 35 and 22. Not sure if that was particularly young but thought it was a good starting point.

I'm not a mathematician, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Last time I checked, 35+22=57 not 67. Either way there's 15 fetuses that topped that in subsequent posts.

RB

GhostCR
01-28-2011, 08:50 AM
I'm 22 as an FO on a GIV and my captain is 26... some passengers give us a double take when they get on the airplane!

Mr Immlemann
01-28-2011, 06:23 PM
I'm 22 as an FO on a GIV and my captain is 26... some passengers give us a double take when they get on the airplane!

I seriously wish I could quote all of you right now. Im 21 and working on finishing up my ratings. Im completely drooling that some of you were flying GIV and LR at my age. Im not looking for shortcuts, but how did you guys get these gigs at such a young age. 22 FO on a GIV???? Sign me up. I can do it!

ImperialxRat
01-29-2011, 04:22 PM
I seriously wish I could quote all of you right now. Im 21 and working on finishing up my ratings. Im completely drooling that some of you were flying GIV and LR at my age. Im not looking for shortcuts, but how did you guys get these gigs at such a young age. 22 FO on a GIV???? Sign me up. I can do it!

I understand being jealous, and for the young guys who have accomplished this stuff it is really great... but flying a GIV is the same at 30 years old as it is at 22 years old. Go to college, drink a lot, hang out with tons of girls, and live it up.

The flying jobs will still be there in 5 years.

CAVOK84
01-29-2011, 05:12 PM
I was flying a CJ2 single pilot at 21 for a company, maybe not the youngest but close to it for that type of op. But since it was single pilot, if we are going by combined crew age for a jet that might take it :)

Stratosphere
01-29-2011, 06:17 PM
I don't know if this is directed at corporate but I do remember reading UPS had a 747 captain who was 25 I think his name was Ed Maxwell If I remember right...Think this was in the early 90's...Now thats something a 25 y/o can brag about.

Giggity
01-29-2011, 06:56 PM
There's always gonna be someone who did it easier, faster, younger, and cheaper than you.

Mr Immlemann
01-29-2011, 07:08 PM
Not to sound like a broken record, but I just want to know the path some of you guys took to get to flying a bizjet at 21/22. I know the jobs will be there when I graduate in a year, but how did you build the time? Did you guys go to college, or just fly. If you were in my boat (junior in college-PPL) how would you suggest going about it. If it were my choice, I would have had all my ratings by now, but having a heard how hard it is to get a job flying, I decided to get a non-aviation related double major. All I hear about is guys having to instruct for 4 years, then go to the regionals, then who knows what. This is why reading GIV FO's at 21 is so crazy to me.

dojetdriver
01-29-2011, 07:34 PM
Not to sound like a broken record, but I just want to know the path some of you guys took to get to flying a bizjet at 21/22. I know the jobs will be there when I graduate in a year, but how did you build the time? Did you guys go to college, or just fly. If you were in my boat (junior in college-PPL) how would you suggest going about it. If it were my choice, I would have had all my ratings by now, but having a heard how hard it is to get a job flying, I decided to get a non-aviation related double major. All I hear about is guys having to instruct for 4 years, then go to the regionals, then who knows what. This is why reading GIV FO's at 21 is so crazy to me.

It's NOT always the case, but it's usually what happens most of the time.

When a guy that young steps into a corporate job, let alone one which entails a large cabin bizjet like a GIV, it had more to do with who they knew and networking than it did their overall experience level. Especially in this market. You could have (insert a crapton of hours here) and go out and buy yourself a Gulfstream type, but unless you know somebody, you probably wont't find a job. Like I said, in this market. Sure, they had to have SOME experience to satisfy the boss and/or insurance company, but the "who you concept" still prevails.

It seems as if the large cabin bizjet circle is one that can be very very hard to penetrate. But once you're in, the possibilities start to open up.

CAVOK84
01-30-2011, 10:45 AM

Not all of us that got into the jet that young knew someone or had an in. I would think that when someone younger gets a shot at a larger corp jet it may be the result of having an in, but not always.

I consider myslef extremely fortunate. I hit everything at the right time and met the right people along the way. I got my ratings early on with a loan and was flight instructing by 18.. Flew for about 1000 hours and got the first right seat jet job at 19. Flew lears and citations for 2 years and at 21 transitioned from co captain in a learjet to flying the citation cj2 and 2+ single pilot. In the end, age really doesnt mean much.. experience and airmanship seem to define what type of pilot you are or will be.

Do not get to wrapped up in how young or old you are and trying to make certain deadlines. After accomplishing something that cool ( or at least I thought it was cool) I'm in the same spot now as everyone else that did it older. I got my degree online while flying so I missed out on the college experience. Believe me, I have plenty of days where I day dream about me and Doc going back in time and slapping my 18 year old self in the face. HAVE FUN, dont rush, it will happen.

CAVOK84
01-30-2011, 10:47 AM
If I were in your shoes, I would take my time getting my ratings and enjoy college. The industry is still in somewhat of a depressed place (although it is getting better). Study for your ratings hard and party hard in return.

Trust me, the jobs willl be there:P

NowCorporate
01-30-2011, 11:58 AM

Have fun and enjoy college....plenty of time for jobs later.

The friends and contacts you build over the years will be what gets you good jobs - not the hours in your logbook at 21 yrs old.

The pilot school robots that parade off to the regionals at 19 just determined to fly a jet no matter what are a dime/dozen and dont impress anyone.

The market is going to be what it is, you cant control that. Move along at a steady pace and it will all work out if you want to do this for a career...but more than anything.....remember, its just a job. Don't make it your life.

Nobody likes to work with/hire those folks.

CAVOK84
01-30-2011, 12:07 PM
Have fun and enjoy college....plenty of time for jobs later.

The friends and contacts you build over the years will be what gets you good jobs - not the hours in your logbook at 21 yrs old.

The pilot school robots that parade off to the regionals at 19 just determined to fly a jet no matter what are a dime/dozen and dont impress anyone.

The market is going to be what it is, you cant control that. Move along at a steady pace and it will all work out if you want to do this for a career...but more than anything.....remember, its just a job. Don't make it your life.

Nobody likes to work with/hire those folks.

I agree with some of that....?

BoilerUP
01-30-2011, 12:35 PM
I consider myslef extremely fortunate. I hit everything at the right time and met the right people along the way. I got my ratings early on with a loan and was flight instructing by 18.. Flew for about 1000 hours and got the first right seat jet job at 19. Flew lears and citations for 2 years and at 21 transitioned from co captain in a learjet to flying the citation cj2 and 2+ single pilot. In the end, age really doesnt mean much..

How did you get insured as PIC on a single-pilot jet (I'm assuming a Part 91 industrial aid aircraft) without an ATP? Can't imagine an underwriter would give very high liability limits for that...

I know "everything is negotiable" when it comes to insurance...but geez I didn't figure that to be one of them.

Not skeptical of your background...just really curious!

CAVOK84
01-30-2011, 01:19 PM
How did you get insured as PIC on a single-pilot jet (I'm assuming a Part 91 industrial aid aircraft) without an ATP? Can't imagine an underwriter would give very high liability limits for that...

I know "everything is negotiable" when it comes to insurance...but geez I didn't figure that to be one of them.

Not skeptical of your background...just really curious!

It was operated part 91 and was owned by a guy who used it for his LLC business, personal, family needs. Didnt have an "in" with him and didnt know him prior to the interview. The insurance company made me fly 50 hours with another captain after my type before I could fly it sp. As to why they didnt require an ATP... they hassled me about it for a bit, but I had a decent amount of jet time and jet pic in the lear at this point (for a corporate guy). Still farely low though for a sp guy im sure. But like you said, everything is negotiable and the company had a good relationship with their insurance provider. At the time of getting the coverage I had a ce 500 and lear 60 type as well as PIC in both, may have helped with their decision.

If I were to sick out and need a contract guy to take over, then the mins were rediculously high. 5000 tt 1000 in type 500 single pilot.

I guess I got lucky? I dunno. They didnt seem to care about the ATP as much as they weren't wild about the age.

Once they passed me on the insurance I didnt much care at that point :P

I see you fly the 2+.. after a year on the cj2 we got a cj2+ as well. What an awesome jet! Loved the paperless cockpit and fadec

Mr Immlemann
01-30-2011, 04:21 PM
If I were in your shoes, I would take my time getting my ratings and enjoy college. The industry is still in somewhat of a depressed place (although it is getting better). Study for your ratings hard and party hard in return.

Trust me, the jobs willl be there:P

Fellas,

Thanks for the insight. It's hard when you want something so bad, but have to write 8 page papers and do page long math problems while you hear of guys my age already established in the industry. At least I go to the #1 party school:D

For now Im going to try and get a job doing ANYTHING at the airports around me. Although, even that is proving difficult. Anybody need any help in the KPHX area?

Thanks again.

AZFlyer
01-30-2011, 07:34 PM
For now Im going to try and get a job doing ANYTHING at the airports around me. Although, even that is proving difficult.

Rumor in the break room is that US will be hiring on the ramp at KPHX in the spring. Fly for free, cheap insurance, flexible schedule, work outdoors,etc. Not bad for a college age guy.

Keep an eye out on the US website if you're interested.

Mr Immlemann
01-30-2011, 09:58 PM
Rumor in the break room is that US will be hiring on the ramp at KPHX in the spring. Fly for free, cheap insurance, flexible schedule, work outdoors,etc. Not bad for a college age guy.

Keep an eye out on the US website if you're interested.

Excellent. That's exactly what I'm looking for to start out. Thanks for the lead.

G550av8or
02-14-2011, 09:05 PM
I was 23 when I had a chance encounter with a Chief Pilot in an FBO crew lounge. It landed me in the right seat of a GIV. Now flying as a Captain with the occasional crew under the age of 35, but with the FA over 50 it skews the average :)

That being said - We've all spent years attaining our skills and qualifications. Some employers may try to low ball not just low time pilots, but younger pilots. Don't sell your self cheap just to move up to bigger equipment. Yes I know you 121 guys laugh at bigger equipment being < 85,500 lbs.

Remember what you are worth and don't take a dollar less.

skyward80
02-15-2011, 01:21 AM
I was 25 on my first mission as an aircraft commander in the mighty KC-10 and my co-pilot was 26 I believe. I'm excluding the age of my engineer and boom operator (both in their 30s). Man, it was great flying around the Pacific for about 10 days with no "adult supervision"!

Skyward80

usmc-sgt
02-15-2011, 02:40 AM
Forgot about the military...they are front runners in this category. My brother in law flies a helo for the CG and when I got a hangar tour there was a falcon crew there where the ac and FO were both under 23. If I remember right the ac had something like 700 hours as well.

Skyward..ive always been fascinated by your case and those similar. What early to mid 20 year old CFI could imagine they could be commander (captain) of a heavy flying international over the pond operations?

forgot to bid
02-15-2011, 06:31 PM
I was the chief pilot on an Embraer Legacy at 27 and the other pilot was 25. Or 24. I think 25. I know it wasn't older than that. Not as young as some, I've heard about the 20 year old CJ pilots out there and I know the military beats all when it comes to size of aircraft vs age of the pilots.

When I was 22 and a new pilot at Coex on the E120 my Captain was 23 and the flight attendant was 19. That's young enough to be interesting. FWIW, the FA was a model from Russia and a gold digger, so as E120 pilots we didn't really exist. I don't know if she noticed we were there all 4 days. :D

Lifeisgood
03-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Last december I flew on Aeroflot.
A320: Capt. was 24, FO - 22, FA's - 19, 18, 18.

Capt. had 750 hours total time, FO - 420.

bcaviator
03-16-2011, 04:21 PM
I fly hawkers, 900xp and 750, with a guy who is 25, i'm 22. FWIW

citation35hf
03-19-2011, 09:22 PM
. At least I go to the #1 party school:D

So... Indiana University or Arizona State?

Mr Immlemann
03-21-2011, 11:00 PM

Arizona State..Still no luck. Applied to Cutter and haven't heard back for Line tech

OrionFE
03-28-2011, 03:33 AM
Our youngest B747 Captain was 25 a couple of years ago.....he is getting checked out as a Check Airman as we speak!

WAFP
03-30-2011, 11:36 PM
flew the C-21 and the youngest crew i saw was the AC (a 1Lt) who was 23 and the FP (a 2Lt) was 23. 46 all together. it's crazy that the AF trusted us to bring the jet back in one piece...then again, have a $4 million jet at your fingertips and the SQ/CC telling you that you can take it anywhere in the US, that was pretty bada$$!

seawolf541
04-11-2011, 02:37 PM
A friend is a G-IV capt. He's 25 or 26. Co-pilots usually the same or slightly younger age range. Lucky little bastards..

citation35hf
04-11-2011, 04:58 PM

Damn I'm good. My bro plays soccer for ASU.