Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Delta Buddy Pass to Addis Ababa

Tumbleweed
02-03-2011, 10:44 AM
I'm trying to help a friend out who is adopting an Ethiopian baby. She needs to travel to Ethiopia a couple of times this year. I'm looking on TravelNet and also the route maps and trying to figure out if it would make sense to get her a buddy pass somewhere close.

The route map shows a flight from Atlanta to Dakar that then continues to Nairobi. On TravelNet, however, any combination connects in Amsterdam with a code share on KLM. The only direct flights (on Delta) I can find are to Lagos, Johannesburg, Accra and Dakar.

From any of those destinations it's about $800 for a full fare ticket on Ethiopian Airlines. If she were to buy a full fare ticket on Delta, it would be $1,800 for a positive space ticket from her home town.

After taking into account the fees, taxes and uncertainty of a buddy pass, is this an example of a destination that would be better to just pony up the cash for a full fare ticket?

Thanks!

slowplay
02-03-2011, 10:53 AM
I'm trying to help a friend out who is adopting an Ethiopian baby. She needs to travel to Ethiopia a couple of times this year. I'm looking on TravelNet and also the route maps and trying to figure out if it would make sense to get her a buddy pass somewhere close.

The route map shows a flight from Atlanta to Dakar that then continues to Nairobi. On TravelNet, however, any combination connects in Amsterdam with a code share on KLM. The only direct flights (on Delta) I can find are to Lagos, Johannesburg, Accra and Dakar.

From any of those destinations it's about $800 for a full fare ticket on Ethiopian Airlines. If she were to buy a full fare ticket on Delta, it would be $1,800 for a positive space ticket from her home town.

After taking into account the fees, taxes and uncertainty of a buddy pass, is this an example of a destination that would be better to just pony up the cash for a full fare ticket?

Thanks!

Yup.

The Nairobi service is on hold pending government approval. If you really have to be someplace (like an adoption) then you need the rights that come with positive space. I don't think I'd want to spend several days in West Africa or AMS with a new child just because a flight cancelled and I'm now S-4 priority in the line...

Buddy pass might work for an initial scouting trip, but when it's time to close the deal go PS.

Tumbleweed
02-03-2011, 11:00 AM
Thanks,
I agree that once she has the baby, there is no way she would want to risk flying standby. You are correct, this would be a scouting mission that I'm trying to help out with so she would be on her own. But without Nairobi, it's probably not worth it.

iaflyer
02-03-2011, 12:09 PM
I believe there is a buddy pass embargo to most of sub-Sahara Africa, so a buddy pass wouldn't work. My suggestion would be to go to Cairo (if it settles down), Tel Aviv or Amman. Tel Aviv has the benefit of having large airplanes (B747 and B777) that won't be weight restricted as compared to CAI or AMM.

Another option is ATL-Dubai, then Dubai-Addis Ababa. I see route-trip fares from DXB-ADD in the $400 range.

hoserpilot
02-03-2011, 06:24 PM
My dad and step mom are flying to addis tomorrow. $850 round trip. Now is the off season so tickets are cheap. Be sure to bring newer hundred dollar bills to "pay" for your adoption. You will be slowed down every step you take due to people being "unavailable". Older hundreds are easy to fake hence the need for newer bills. Use a buddy pass to get to Dulles then buy a ticket on Ethiopian. Be prepared to spend A LOT longer on the adoption than planned. Hopefully the U.S. will grant your adopted children a visa to get to the U.S. After spending thousands it all comes down to some jackwagon in the embassy giving his stamp of approval.

Good luck

Ps. You don't need to to spend weeks getting an Ethiopian visa before travelling there. You can buy one in Addis Ababa at the airport when you land for $20.

Tumbleweed
02-06-2011, 07:45 AM
Thanks a ton guys! I appreciate the info and will pass it along!