Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Uniform shirt.

whoareyou310
01-02-2012, 08:02 AM
I've been using a cheaper M and H brand shirt for the last few years..until recently I purchased a Van Heusen Pilot SS tapered shirt. After I washed it for the first time the shirt "pilled" up or got all wrinked around the edges where the buttons are, etc....is there a shirt that doesn't do this after you wash it once??? I've had pretty good luck with these M and H branded shirts but they are way too baggy..and I like the shape of this tapered Van Heusen. Any advice would be helpful.

Fly782
01-02-2012, 08:06 AM
A cut above

afxdisable
01-02-2012, 08:07 AM
Jetstream Pilot Shirt Short Sleeve Product (http://www.field-shops.calls.net/fieldshop/product.asp?s_id=0&dept_id=23&pf_id=PAMKMKNENFNFBHNN&)

Pretty much stain proof, no iron, hang it up the night before.

Oh, yeah, they're tapered. Don't fit like a tent.

DirectTo
01-02-2012, 08:45 AM
That's odd...I use nothing but Van Heusens and haven't had any problems with them. Might depend which VH shirt you use?

MusicPilot
01-02-2012, 09:15 AM
Crew outfitters.

EMB120IP
01-02-2012, 09:24 AM
I've been using Van Heusen's too and never had any issues. I wash them in cold water, air-dry and throw in the dryer to unwrinkle. Maybe you got a lemon?

Jughead
01-02-2012, 09:27 AM
A cut above

I second this - A Cut Above pilot shirts - I'm sure you can Google it and find the website. I just got 3 - nice tapered shirts with a soft collar liner that keeps your neck cool.

I don't like what some companies consider a tapered shirt - I still have a double-handful of shirt material to try to tuck in. :(

J

MunkyButtr
01-02-2012, 09:32 AM
pilotshirts.com. best value best customer service fastest shipping

troyb
01-02-2012, 10:58 AM
I like A cut above tapered shirts but they are often out of stock in my size so I go with pilotshirts.com sometimes, both are good.

flyingreasemnky
01-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Pilot shirt and pilot uniform manufacturer, buy direct. (http://www.acutaboveuniforms.com/) are by far the best. I swear by them, you can't get a better fit or material. use code 112468 to get a discount.

rightside02
01-02-2012, 12:33 PM
A cut above shirts are by far the war I have ever used and they are tapered very nicely for those of us that are not 250lbs yet.....

The Juice
01-02-2012, 01:07 PM
A cut above shirts are by far the war I have ever used and they are tapered very nicely for those of us that are not 250lbs yet.....

They are the best and the only shirts I will use, and I have tried about 10 various brands. The comfort collar is nice for the summer heat and prevents the nasty ring of dirt around your neck.

Also, their customer service is excellent. I wont give M&H a penny more than I am forced to.

block30
01-02-2012, 01:14 PM
Thanks all for the advice. Looks like I will have to try A Cut Above. Especially since I am not yet two fitty! :). Rosebowl time!

9kBud
01-02-2012, 03:43 PM
+1 for A Cut Above and their customer service. They took a while with international shipping, but the communication was good and informative. The fitted shirts are great.

zildjian_zach
01-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Another vote for A Cut Above, if anything for the collar alone. Super comfy.

Salukipilot4590
01-02-2012, 10:38 PM
A Cut Above...

Another vote for them....if you're in a pinch and want to save a couple dollars you could always buy a crappy shirt from one of the more common distributors and visit your locally owned dri-cleaners....

There they will take your measurements and alter your shirts.....

Buyer beware though...make sure to do this at a GOOD place...

I have one in Long Beach if you're interested.

ImperialxRat
01-02-2012, 11:13 PM
I'll have to try A cut above next time I get some shirts... I have half VanHuessen, and half Pilot House.. both are fine shirts.

The pilot house shirts definitely are more wrinkle resistant, more durable, and easier to maintain, however they don't shine that blinding white that VH shirts get.

paxhauler85
01-03-2012, 05:08 AM

+1. Guys don't seem to understand that tapered shirts fit most people, except those who are 50+ lbs overweight.

It's pitiful how guys are content to wear clothes that dont fit. Does no one tell them that they look like a kid wearing their Dad's uniform?

Machwon
01-03-2012, 01:15 PM
I have a code for 20 dollars off if anyone is interested.

PerpetualFlyer
01-03-2012, 01:46 PM
I'll chalk up another one for A Cut Above, awesome shirts. Don't forget to add an extra half-inch to your neck size. It says that on the website somewhere but of course I didn't see it the first time! It's to account for their soft comfy neckband.

3stripes
01-03-2012, 01:49 PM
I have a code for 20 dollars off if anyone is interested.

Hell yes I am!!! :)

FixTheMess
01-04-2012, 05:19 AM
+1. Guys don't seem to understand that tapered shirts fit most people, except those who are 50+ lbs overweight.

It's pitiful how guys are content to wear clothes that dont fit. Does no one tell them that they look like a kid wearing their Dad's uniform?

I called Cintas years ago asking why all their shirts were balloons. They said they had so many overweight mis-proportioned pilots complaining and returning shirts that they make them plus sized on purpose now. Sad really. If a tapered shirt doesn't fit you, most likely you need some diet and exercise.

Anyway, + 1 for Cut Above. Now, if only they could make a tapered status in longsleeve.

MayDaze
01-04-2012, 05:40 AM
Another vote here for A Cut Above. I just tried the material "Tropo" for the fitted and it's my best shirt yet. The old fitted just seemed to wrinkle too much.

MrBigAir
01-04-2012, 05:53 AM
Anyway, + 1 for Cut Above. Now, if only they could make a tapered status in longsleeve.

Agree with you do I.

HighSpeedTaxi5
01-04-2012, 06:07 AM
If you want to be disappointed in the workmanship (Crewoufitters). Wash it once and it will fall apart. I've had both the Oxford and Poplin and they fell apart after the 3rd wash.

Go with Pilotshirts.com. They are a little more pricey but wether you wash or have them laundered they maintain their whiteness and the buttons are sewed on with higher quality tread.

thevagabond
01-04-2012, 06:17 AM
I have both Landerwood and A Cut Above tapered shirts in my closet. They are both very well made and vastly superior to all the other stuff out there I've tried. I find the Landerwood shirts to be just a little bit better. They're on a par with a nice dress shirt you'd get at Nordstroms or Brooks Brothers in my experience. Plus, they're actually made here in the U.S. For those reasons they'll have my business for as long as I'm flying.

duder
01-04-2012, 06:49 AM
I am a very average height and build and all of my shirts I have had from M&H had enough material to make a sail for the Titanic. Thanks for posting this. Next time I need shirts I will be going with these.

Al Czervik
01-04-2012, 07:27 AM
What is the difference between fitted and tapered of the cut above? The M&H are mushrooms on the bottom.

flyingreasemnky
01-04-2012, 09:02 AM
What is the difference between fitted and tapered of the cut above? The M&H are mushrooms on the bottom.

If you look at the sizing charts, you will see that the fitted is even tighter around the belly. I'm not exactly physically fit and still use the fitted due to my neck size causing shirts to have a big belly size.

dwightkschrute
01-05-2012, 11:08 AM
I love the cut-above shirts as long as you don't mind the penis...errr logo on the back of them.

captain152
01-05-2012, 11:32 AM
New generation of shirts don't have the ... We'll go with emblem... On the back. FYI

Tom a Hawk
01-05-2012, 09:29 PM
ok curiosity piqued, spill the beans! what and where was this logo? was it like shirts with the "fruit loop" on the back?

Machwon
01-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Here is the code to use during checkout with ACutAboveUniforms.com. Enjoy and feel free to pass it around.

DASH8AV8R
01-09-2012, 03:59 AM
A cut above from me also. Landerwood was my choice before that but since they started the made in China the quality went downhill.

Milk Man
01-09-2012, 05:28 AM
I just ordered a shirt from a cut above. I got the tropo fitted with the spandex. They claim its a bitter fit then tapered, so I went with it. Well my previous shirts I got a 17" neck and did the same here, but wow I could barely get the shirt on. It was super tight. Anyway have to return it, but I was surprised on how thick the material was. I was expecting it to be lightweight, its not its heavy. I dont know what to think

sandrich
01-09-2012, 08:23 AM
I have both the Tropo and 2G. The 2G is a cotton spandex material that is in fact a little more lightweight than the tropo. The tropo has that sports jersey kind of material. I like it though, feels more durable.

MachJ
01-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Here is the code to use during checkout with ACutAboveUniforms.com.
I entered this as Coupon Code and it didn't affect my total after hitting apply. Is this code still legit?

SiouxPilot89
01-09-2012, 01:41 PM
I agree with cut above. I bought a few of their tapered short sleeve shirts shirts, and then tailered it down. The sleeves were really big. I also got a tie from them and it works pretty well.

zildjian_zach
01-10-2012, 07:46 AM
Here is the code to use during checkout with ACutAboveUniforms.com.
I entered this as Coupon Code and it didn't affect my total after hitting apply. Is this code still legit?

It doesn't show it until checkout, at least not for me.

Lester Burnham
01-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Has anyone else had a problem with the color on the shirts from a cut above? I ordered some and I love the fit of the shirts, but they are definitely an off-white color. Even some of my old worn out shirts are far whiter than these. Just curious if I got a bad batch or if this is just how they come.

The Juice
01-21-2012, 01:37 PM
Has anyone else had a problem with the color on the shirts from a cut above? I ordered some and I love the fit of the shirts, but they are definitely an off-white color. Even some of my old worn out shirts are far whiter than these. Just curious if I got a bad batch or if this is just how they come.

Ive never had an issue with the white. Maybe depends on what shirts you are comparing them to. Give them a call, their service is excellent

Natca
01-21-2012, 01:46 PM
Cut above - best there is

Machwon
01-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Code should work when proceeding to checkout.

G5inmind
01-21-2012, 05:27 PM
Cut above loves yall now. Throwing them all this business and free advertising. But I'm going with ACB when I get to the line as well.

Ramprat
01-21-2012, 05:36 PM
My cut above shirt just arrived. Definately an off white compared to my M&H. Now those are WHITE. I'm going to try bleaching the new one. The cut above shirt is more comfortable and fits better though.

zondaracer
01-22-2012, 06:27 AM
How did the bleaching work? Did it make it whiter?

visceral
01-22-2012, 08:43 AM
Another code:

022336 gets you 15% off everything for first time buyers only. You'll get your own code when you order from them.

zildjian_zach
01-23-2012, 07:30 AM
I've ordered from a cut above on 3 separate occasions and never had an issue with the shirt color. I'd call em up. Def sounds like an off batch.

Machwon
01-23-2012, 09:13 AM
101514 This is the best code I've found. Worked great for me.

RamenNoodles
01-23-2012, 04:07 PM
I'm pretty small, so A Cut Above shirts are WAY too big for me, even the fitted versions. They fit me like a fat girl's wedding dress.

The best I've found is Custom Pilot Shirts (http://www.custompilotshirts.com). You provide the measurements for your ideal shirt, and they make what you want.

They are a bit pricey, but its worth it to me because I'd have to pay for all of my shirts to get tailored anyway. The material is great. Light weight, soft, and wrinkle/stain resistant.

LeGreaseMan
01-23-2012, 06:52 PM
The 2G seemed a bit off white to me. It was not noticeable unless I had it up next to the other shirts.

pete2800
01-23-2012, 06:53 PM
I'm pretty small, so A Cut Above shirts are WAY too big for me, even the fitted versions. They fit me like a fat girl's wedding dress.

The best I've found is Custom Pilot Shirts (http://www.custompilotshirts.com). You provide the measurements for your ideal shirt, and they make what you want.

They are a bit pricey, but its worth it to me because I'd have to pay for all of my shirts to get tailored anyway. The material is great. Light weight, soft, and wrinkle/stain resistant.

How small are you? I'm wondering how the fitted shirts from A Cut Above would fit me.... I'm 6' and 135 lbs.

AZpilot
01-23-2012, 07:02 PM

If you don't mind me asking, what's your height/weight? I'm 5'6 and weigh like 125lbs and don't want to order a shirt that's too big!

3stripes
01-24-2012, 12:48 AM
If it helps, I'm 5' 8" and 135 pounds, I order a fitted A Cut Above shirt a couple of weeks ago, it's too big. It's a real shame.

RamenNoodles
01-24-2012, 04:47 AM
I'm 5'9 and 135. I would recommend that you find another skinny friend with similar shirt size and split an order with Custom Pilot Shirts (minimum order is 6 shirts). You definitely won't be satisfied with A Cut Above if you are similar to my size. Van Hausen fitted was the closest I came to finding an adequate out-of-the-package shirt, and it still needed significant alterations. Good luck!

Also, if you skinny types need pants that don't require alterations, check out Calvin Klein body fit pants. I bought a pair of these in black and they match my uniform blazer almost flawlessly. If my blazer weren't 6 years old and slightly faded, it would be a perfect match. These pants fit well and look sharp.

OCCP
01-24-2012, 05:01 AM
How small are you? I'm wondering how the fitted shirts from A Cut Above would fit me.... I'm 6' and 135 lbs.

6 feet tall and 135lbs! Looks like someone needs to eat a few cheeseburgers!

BrewCity
05-28-2012, 12:13 PM
Bump.... Does anybody have a current discount code for a cut above they wouldn't mind PM'ing me?

Cruz5350
05-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Google it I found one for 10%

9kBud
05-28-2012, 02:07 PM
As an update to my opinions on a cut above; if you fly in tropical regions with lots of heat and humidity, go with the cotton blend. I have the tropo fitted shirts, and they breathe poorly compared to my Van Heusen shirts. Also, the cool and dry collar, while a novel idea, chafes quite a lot if you've been sweating, which you will with the tropo. I really like the fit, but next time I think I'll go with the cotton blend.

flysooner9
05-28-2012, 02:11 PM
I highly recommend the van heusen tapered cut pilot shirts. The material is very comfy and is nice and cool. I'm 6,2 160 and the fit is just right. Not a parachute but not body tight.

MJ90
05-28-2012, 03:01 PM
Hello, I am really interested in the subject that's been brought to light. Honestly, I am looking for answers you guys who seem like experienced may have, on whether or not to major in Aviation. To my understanding most of you wouldn't recommend getting Aviation as a major because of the lack of diversity that if fails to offer as part of a plan B; However, also to my understanding, and correct me if I am wrong, Aviation itself offers work places other than flying a plane. A few examples of these are topics studied: Air Traffic Control, Aviation Law and security, and to an extend even Physics. I am very passionate about this work field and would love to know every little aspect of how an airline is run. I plan on staying within the airport for a long time, but I also want to be sure of my decision and as I said earlier you guys have my answer. Any encouragements or discouraging would be greatly appreciated. Any tips?

PropDriver
05-28-2012, 04:54 PM
Hello, I am really interested in the subject that's been brought to light. Honestly, I am looking for answers you guys who seem like experienced may have, on whether or not to major in Aviation. To my understanding most of you wouldn't recommend getting Aviation as a major because of the lack of diversity that if fails to offer as part of a plan B; However, also to my understanding, and correct me if I am wrong, Aviation itself offers work places other than flying a plane. A few examples of these are topics studied: Air Traffic Control, Aviation Law and security, and to an extend even Physics. I am very passionate about this work field and would love to know every little aspect of how an airline is run. I plan on staying within the airport for a long time, but I also want to be sure of my decision and as I said earlier you guys have my answer. Any encouragements or discouraging would be greatly appreciated. Any tips?
Why the h*ll are you asking this question in a thread about shirts?

Colnago
05-28-2012, 06:39 PM
Why the h*ll are you asking this question in a thread about shirts?
Probably to incite a response like yours. :p

AviHaters
05-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Has anyone had any issues with the buttons on the A cut above shirts? I have 2 shirts from them and have lost buttons on both.. Never had that issue on my Van Heusen shirts. Other than that, A cut above shirts have a very nice fit.

Machwon
05-29-2012, 06:24 AM
Has anyone had any issues with the buttons on the A cut above shirts? I have 2 shirts from them and have lost buttons on both.. Never had that issue on my Van Heusen shirts. Other than that, A cut above shirts have a very nice fit.

Nope never had any issues.

CloudPilot57
05-30-2012, 09:12 AM
I went with a cut above for my new shirts several months ago. I love the fit but I did not up my neck size and now I'm kicking myself. The neck is a bit tight but otherwise really like the shirt.

Moonwolf
05-30-2012, 07:44 PM
usually if you show up with stains on your shirt nobody says anything. You could be disfigured and nobody says anything. As long as your shirt is mostly white and has a tie with stripes on your shoulder your probably ok.

BkkPilot
06-09-2013, 02:41 AM
Can someone PM me a discount code for acutabove? Thank you.

Machwon
06-09-2013, 08:08 AM
Here is the code. Feel free to pass it around. 101514

170Homie
06-10-2013, 05:22 AM
125651 this code works forever. No expiration.

Machwon
06-10-2013, 07:03 AM
125651 this code works forever. No expiration.

That code did not work for me, but this one did 101514

FlyingShawn
07-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Which of the Cut Above fabrics are the coolest/breathe best in this summer heat?

sandrich
07-21-2013, 06:22 PM
Which of the Cut Above fabrics are the coolest/breathe best in this summer heat?
Definitely Stratus

SurfNsun
07-21-2013, 06:35 PM
[/QUOTE]
Why the h*ll are you asking this question in a thread about shirts?[/QUOTE]

Hilarious

donk74
07-22-2013, 05:43 AM
The best shirts I have found are Abbott, they are made in the USA and fit right. Abbott Uniforms - Our company provides custom uniforms of the highest quality and workmanship to Naval Officers and Airline Pilots throughout the world. (http://www.abbottuniforms.com/Abbott-Uniforms-welcome.cfm)

BTpilot
07-26-2013, 02:51 PM
hey guys.. I just got a A CUT ABOVE 15.5" Tapered fit 2G..

Stupid me had the girlfriend take it to dry cleaners when it came in the mail.. So, now I cant return it. Its a little tight on my chest, so I'm gonna stick with Pilot House shirts for now..

I have only tried it on. It hasnt been worn for more than 5 mins.. Uniform bank paid for it, so if you want it, PM me. I'll send it for free.. Does better that way than sitting in my closet.

Stifler
01-02-2014, 10:05 AM
Just a data point for anyone considering Pilotshirts.com, neck buttons on their Pilot House shirts unravel and pop off after a month. In addition, had the worst customer service experience with any online store trying to exchange a couple of shirts (over two months!), and top that with the fact they made a charge to my corp credit card without my approval...and refused to refund it! A Cut Above will have my business from here on out.

B200 Hawk
01-02-2014, 10:18 AM
hey guys.. I just got a A CUT ABOVE 15.5" Tapered fit 2G..

Stupid me had the girlfriend take it to dry cleaners when it came in the mail.. So, now I cant return it. Its a little tight on my chest, so I'm gonna stick with Pilot House shirts for now..

I have only tried it on. It hasnt been worn for more than 5 mins.. Uniform bank paid for it, so if you want it, PM me. I'll send it for free.. Does better that way than sitting in my closet.

FWIW, I had the same issue but switched to the tapered. Still a good fit but relaxed up top. Don't look like a slob with the standard poncho looking shirts. Give that a try if you'd like, worked for me.