Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Discovery Channel "Airplane Repo"

oldveedubs
07-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Anyone else catch an episode of this? The FAA/TSA is going to have a field day with the airport security skirting measures they use publicly on a national network.

And of course over dramatized.

mosteam3985
07-06-2012, 10:40 PM
What I don't understand is the schedule of the show. I DVR'd it thinking it'd be interesting but every few weeks they randomly show only two episodes like 6 times in a row and then the DVR is dark for another 6 weeks. It's weird. Plus the two episodes they incessantly show were aired back in 2010. And like 4 months apart from each other......***?:confused:

NTT5418
07-06-2012, 11:14 PM
Anyone else catch an episode of this? The FAA/TSA is going to have a field day with the airport security skirting measures they use publicly on a national network.

And of course over dramatized.

I agree... I have a feeling that it's planned out beforehand. Sneaking onto airport property on TV is a bit of a no no

undflyboy06
07-07-2012, 09:55 AM
Are there new episodes?

I have seen only the four episodes each time that it's on. Fun to watch, but not to do for an actual job.

Airhoss
07-07-2012, 11:55 AM
Was it just me or were you guys wondering how you can afford a Challenger and a Hawker as a personal/business airplanes on a repo mans salary? Either there is some HUGE money to be made in the repo industry or that guy has a good side business. Is he a dealer reoping his own airplanes?

Maybe he's flying repoed airplanes while they are in inventory?

Used2BeFlyer
07-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Was it just me or were you guys wondering how you can afford a Challenger and a Hawker as a personal/business airplanes on a repo mans salary?

I would think that he takes a very large fee for the recovery work.

From his bio on the Discovery Channel website:

In this high-stakes recovery business, Popovich has been beaten, jailed and had a gun held to his head. But even these threats to his own personal safety aren't a deterrent: "That's what motivates me," said Popovich. "It's the adrenaline, excitement and pressure to be smarter than your opponent."

Discovery Presents | Airplane Repo (http://www.discoverychannel.ca/Article.aspx?aid=33213)

Winged Wheeler
07-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Repo Man. Obscure cult classic from the 80s. Your wife, girlfriend will hate it but it would be a smash hit at the crashpad.

Repo Man (1984) - IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087995/)

WW

groovinaviator
07-07-2012, 01:37 PM
I actually did several aircraft repo's back in 2007 and 08. That show is WAY over dramatic! I had a ton of fun and loved the variety, but it just wasn't the least bit dramatic. I saw some money, but not nearly as much as the broker I was working for... he was making bank!

SmitteyB
07-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Was it just me or were you guys wondering how you can afford a Challenger and a Hawker as a personal/business airplanes on a repo mans salary? Either there is some HUGE money to be made in the repo industry or that guy has a good side business. Is he a dealer reoping his own airplanes?

Maybe he's flying repoed airplanes while they are in inventory?

I think based on watching the show.

He repos the airplane refurbs it- sells it and keeps a BIG cut.

Or

He buys the airplane from the bank for cheap then refurbs and sells them.

Jughead
07-07-2012, 04:13 PM
He buys the airplane from the bank for cheap then refurbs and sells them.

It seems doing repos is asking for a violation - granted, I don't know the first thing about the operation, but if somebody isn't making payments on their plane, they're probably not maintaining it. No AD compliance, no annuals, bird's nests in the engines, flat tires, etc. I really wouldn't want to fly it and put my life and ticket on the line. That Lear on the show last night hadn't been started in 3 months and had oil pouring out of the nacelles.

It may be totally legit, but that sort of thing isn't my bag (baby).

FlightGear
07-08-2012, 06:25 PM
I'd watch it if it were filmed in Hawaii involving Dog: The bounty hunter being football tacked by 16 burly TSA agents and getting locked in jail with Bubba, the bounty hunter hunter.... Now that would be reality TV ;)

lstorm2003
07-19-2013, 12:15 AM
Anyone else see this show today? 2nd episode of the new season was tnite.

1st episode I knew it was exagerated but not sure how much.

2nd episdoe is totally ridiculous how fake an how scripted the show is.

I can't believe discovery channel put this crap on tv. It belongs on TruTV along side Repo Men which is equally fake.

Example.. Pilot had to take off in a 414 with no gas because "the fuel truck was locked". The truck he is supposidly trying to get into says 100LL. Then he starts up the 2 turbine engines lol...

Another scene they are out in the middle of the field with 2 "Airport Operations" vehicles all light bars flashing standing there right next to the runway jumping up and down and waving at a Citation they are supposedly repo'ing saying "c'mon baby bring it in, thats 300 grand!" when it does a touch and go and takes off an they all pout and complain saying "wheres he going?! No! No"

Fakest show I've ever seen on tv. Disapointed in discovery channel. Series recording cancelled.

N9373M
07-19-2013, 03:11 AM
It's craptastic. Makes you wonder what liberties are taken in those other "un-reality" shows in which we don't have an depth knowledge of the subject manner.

Perhaps we should use this thread to list the most egregious error in each episode?

1. Obvious scripted/staged scenes (they have time to mount cameras)
2. "I hope I have enough gas, I'll show that )(*&)&)* <firewall throttles>
3. The thought that Joe Public buys into this crap
4. .................

But it's the train wreck I can't turn away from - just to see how bad it can get.

lstorm2003
07-19-2013, 09:01 AM
Just saw the latest episode now airing on Discovery channel on TH nights. Fake fake fake fake..

Each repo is more ridiculous than the last.. Heres a couple observations:

Turboprop 414 and the "repo" guy gets all upset that he can't get gas because the truck is "locked", and the truck clearly says "100LL" on it...

Waiting for a Citation to land that they are repo'ing and they are standing out on the field right by the runway jumping up and down shouting "c'mon baby! bring it over here! thats 300 grand!" then start pouting and cursing "wheres he going !@#!@#" when the Citation does a touch & go.. LOL!

The most staged thing I've ever seen. The only reason to keep watching, as someone else already pointed out, is to see how much more ridiculous it can get.

savall
07-19-2013, 12:22 PM
Just watched this show for the first time. So fake. Loved it when he said "Without my moving map GPS I got no navigation" then proceeds to use an automobiles GPS. I laughed my ass off. I think it is funny that the non flying public does have the perception that you cannot fly without a GPS. As if there wasn't other methods prior to GPS. :D

USMCFLYR
07-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Just watched this show for the first time. So fake. Loved it when he said "Without my moving map GPS I got no navigation" then proceeds to use an automobiles GPS. I laughed my ass off. I think it is funny that the non flying public does have the perception that you cannot fly without a GPS. As if there wasn't other methods prior to GPS. :D
I think this of some newly minted members of the flying public!

80ktsClamp
07-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Just saw the latest episode now airing on Discovery channel on TH nights. Fake fake fake fake..

Each repo is more ridiculous than the last.. Heres a couple observations:

Turboprop 414 and the "repo" guy gets all upset that he can't get gas because the truck is "locked", and the truck clearly says "100LL" on it...

Waiting for a Citation to land that they are repo'ing and they are standing out on the field right by the runway jumping up and down shouting "c'mon baby! bring it over here! thats 300 grand!" then start pouting and cursing "wheres he going !@#!@#" when the Citation does a touch & go.. LOL!

The most staged thing I've ever seen. The only reason to keep watching, as someone else already pointed out, is to see how much more ridiculous it can get.

The 414 wasn't a turboprop... they just overdubbed a king air starting up and such.

Agreed on the citation. What an awful show. :(

wrxsteve
07-20-2013, 10:45 PM
So fake....

I like the other real repo show where the group gets the 2 A319's from france.

Flint Stone
07-23-2013, 12:20 PM
Yeah, this show is as lame as Lizard Lick Towing. Like our Flight Attendants, all drama:eek:

cjgreen91
07-26-2013, 12:45 AM
It's fake. The latest where they are in la plata county, friends of mine let them barrow the plane for the show.

undflyboy06
07-26-2013, 06:15 AM
I laughed during the first show when they were trying to repo the Cessna from the Rancher that had the shotgun. They heard him coming into the hangar and they all ducked for cover except the camera guy. The rancher comes into the hanger to get something and doesn't even see the camera gun standing there in the open.

Wish I was invisible, but that would me I would be up to no good all the time. :D

80ktsClamp
08-01-2013, 08:03 PM
New episode tonight. I happened to pass by and stopped for a moment. What an awful, fake show.

Mike Rowe must really be hurting to sign on to narrating something as poorly done as that.

TheFly
08-01-2013, 08:53 PM
Fake. I saw one episode where they "repod" a bizjet (Citation or Challenger, I can't remember), but just as they went to rotate, the camera goes to the cockpit and all the flight instruments were at zero, the stby AI was caged and a bunch of red annunciators were illuminated.

APCLurker
08-02-2013, 08:37 AM
That show is horrible.

Like somebody else mentioned, I like how it is often shown as rush-rush-rush "we gotta get this airplane outta here now..." Yet they had time to install a camera on the bottom of the aircraft.

So horribly fake, and sets quite a new low for the discovery channel.

DirectTo
08-02-2013, 09:49 AM
You've guys made it sound so bad I almost want to watch an episode out of morbid curiosity.

Grumble
08-02-2013, 12:35 PM
Watched the one last night where they "repod" a CJ1. Took off, shut down a motor for "problems".... then after what the narrator said was a 15 minute flight limping along on one engine they made it to another airport, which strangely looked just like the one they'd left (Teluride).

Knotcher
08-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Watched the one last night where they "repod" a CJ1. Took off, shut down a motor for "problems".... then after what the narrator said was a 15 minute flight limping along on one engine they made it to another airport, which strangely looked just like the one they'd left (Teluride).

Yep...saw that. Guess they figure the average idiot wouldn't notice but I'm sure every pilot did.

buckwheats
08-24-2013, 11:02 AM
Oh yea, most of this is fiction. The real stories of repos would certainly never hold anyone's attention for a weekly TV show.

The real process is of course to go to the local county where the a/c is positioned, display a legal authority to the Sheriff to repossess the a/c, then grab a deputy and head out to the airport and get it. There. Done every day, everywhere. But that makes for an AWFULLY boring show.

I've met the law on a few occasions to fly out a repo, and the owner is never standing at the airport peeking around the corner of the hanger waiting to pounce. And we never had to hire an ugly goon/armbreaker to beat up the owner and the hapless mechanic.

Mike knew this, and had to do what he had to do in order to make it viewable. Consider his crab-catch-from-hell show ratings are slowly tanking with overtones of an asinine storyline, and a fraternity-oriented cast. At one time it was really depicting a dangerous lifestyle, but now it's just 60 minutes of arguments, fights and threats in a snow storm, which make great fodder for the Jerry Springer crowd. I sure wish they'd get back to the dangerous reality of that business, but again even that becomes boring as such events are few and far between.

But this new airplane repo thing wreaks of the same lack of material. Notice each episode is scripted the same. They pretend to sneak around the airport, jump the fence at a strategic location while a $billionaire collections idiot sits in his SUV-limo waiting to collect some cash. Why all of sudden do the collection agency owners show up for the show? Face-time on the camera of course.

Anyway, they manage to get some gas just in time for their "escape", duck a few shotguns blasts, a whole lot of threats and shouting, and the fuel truck (with light bars) chases them down the runway while on takeoff. zzzzzzz. Notice if the armed line-boys in the new law enforcement-renovated fuel truck are not close enough in the final big chase scene for a stunning camera shot, the a/c will stop a while and wait to ensure the excitement of it all. Same thing, every week, every episode. Paallllease. Mike Rowe - your audience is still the 15 yr old high school crowd, and the Twinkie-stuffing 400 pounders that sit on the couch absorbing CNN.

Like someone mentioned, the guy up in N. Indiana had the better idea. He also served the process papers correctly, had law enforcement backing, had the right pilot and did it right. He didn't have to crawl under the hanger where the rats had chewed some holes. But Rowe as usual reduced this new show to it's lowest common denominator and ruined the whole concept.

It could be that this repo concept simply doesn't hold water regardless of how many staged fights one sprinkles into the plot.

pengu
08-24-2013, 02:09 PM
TWINKIES !!! Where, Where, Where ????

Cubdriver
08-24-2013, 07:38 PM
Television is so bad in general that I sold my last TV in 2008 and never looked back. Unfortunately I found myself stuck in a hotel for a few hours recently and saw this piece of trash on theirs. Half of one of these shows later I had seen 427 no, 527 commercials and one obviously fake TV show posing as a factual documentary. A decade or so ago Discovery channel actually made real documentaries, and while it was shamelessly peppered with product ads at least it was honest. I see now that it has gone completely down to the realm of blatant deception and fraud. Too bad.

N9373M
09-06-2013, 12:28 PM
I cannot believe they did this (nor that I keep watching this crap).

The repo'd aircraft (similar to a C208) experienced turbulence due to mountain wave and the rear cargo shifted. To demonstrate the crew's peril at a rear CG, they showed the Bagrahm crash in it's entirety.

They also got "cleared to land" at an uncontrolled airport. Sigh.

This show needs to go away. I've seen comments from pilots on Discovery's web site calling out the show for what it is, as well as comments from Joe public on how great it is. One of the repo pilots also weighs in on the comment section - only to thank the duped.

orvil
09-06-2013, 04:45 PM
The show about buying the contents of storage sheds is bogus, too. Sorry to burst your bubble.

I have an acquaintance who works for the owner of a storage shed business. Whenever they have a forfeited space, she is hired to go through it for anything valuable before they auction the contents. So, the good stuff is gone.

mosteam3985
09-06-2013, 06:04 PM
Exactly what they want to happen is happening. A board made up mostly of professional pilots and the few non professional flyers (like myself) are sitting here talking about it. Negative attention is still attention.

.....but that makes me a hypocrite as I am currently responding as well!

PLANECEPTION

Guardguy
09-10-2013, 08:30 AM
Pure entertainment factor only. It kills an hour in the hotel

freightdog
09-10-2013, 08:43 AM
They seem to be cropping scenes together from different time frames because I remember watching the "repo" of the SR22 in SoCal.They mentioned Orange County,CA ( born and raised). There's only two airports in OC for normal GA. SNA and FUL. While most of the footage looked like FUL, when they snapped to them being chased by "security" there were mountains up against the airport. The only airport around the basin that it looked like it could have been was Whitman (KWHP) airport, north of LA.

Also, I don't know about you, but if I was looking for a plane I would not be on a snow covered peak looking down on an airport with binoculars in the Colorado Rockies.

RhinoPherret
09-10-2013, 09:13 AM
Regional Airline Wars (RAW).

Just wait until they get this reality series up and running! Sends shivers down my spine already.

Fill in the blanks of what would be staged and phony in this series: :D

savall
09-11-2013, 10:25 PM
I cannot believe they did this (nor that I keep watching this crap).

The repo'd aircraft (similar to a C208) experienced turbulence due to mountain wave and the rear cargo shifted. To demonstrate the crew's peril at a rear CG, they showed the Bagrahm crash in it's entirety.

They also got "cleared to land" at an uncontrolled airport. Sigh.

This show needs to go away. I've seen comments from pilots on Discovery's web site calling out the show for what it is, as well as comments from Joe public on how great it is. One of the repo pilots also weighs in on the comment section - only to thank the duped.

I was thinking the same thing. Those pieces of **** also edited sound in to make a loud explosion.