Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Old 01-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2011

Originally Posted by ATOP40 View Post
Thanks again for the response.

If possible, does anyone have information about the past couple new hire classes? Class date, base awards and equipment filled would be helpful.

Thanks again.
Since none of the AMF'ers answered this, is it difficult or not appropriate for your pilots to share this kind of helpful information?
Old 01-04-2012, 04:02 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Left

I've known a couple that have come from the 121 side, I'm sure there are more as our pilots are spread over several bases.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:54 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: goin somewhere....

"Since none of the AMF'ers answered this, is it difficult or not appropriate for your pilots to share this kind of helpful information?"

Its not an inappropriate question its just that a lot of the guys/gals outside Burbank don't know what the new hire situation is exactly. I've heard things like 10 a month and pdx or oak bases but not real sure. The only ones that can answer that one are down in BUR.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:04 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Earl81 View Post
"Since none of the AMF'ers answered this, is it difficult or not appropriate for your pilots to share this kind of helpful information?"

Its not an inappropriate question its just that a lot of the guys/gals outside Burbank don't know what the new hire situation is exactly. I've heard things like 10 a month and pdx or oak bases but not real sure. The only ones that can answer that one are down in BUR.
That makes sense. Thanks. I hope someone will be able to chime in with some info.

How many pilots are based in OAK? Do they have an office there with personal to visit or is there just enough to operate an out station.

Thanks again.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Ref +8

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: North by Midwest

Originally Posted by Earl81 View Post

I just talked to a AMF'er he said 10 a month...
Old 01-05-2012, 01:29 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2011

Originally Posted by freightdog View Post
There's plenty in the stack here with info on AMF, but if you don't want to do the footwork, PM me.
Freightdog:

This was a while back when this was posted but I was wondering if you still had that right up about ameriflight? If not no big deal. Pg 58 on the ameriflight thread.

Thanks Andy5466
Old 01-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by flywithjohn View Post
I just talked to a AMF'er he said 10 a month...
With zero growth that would mean a turnover rate of over 50% a year which far out of the norm.

What are your take(s) on this unusually large turnover?
Old 01-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

With zero growth that would mean a turnover rate of over 50% a year which far out of the norm.

This is not a career destination. People come here to get PIC turbine maybe type rating or two and move on. Mgmt knows this and the pilots know this. It's a mutual understanding. Most of the pilots I know that went on the bigger and better thing have been here 3-5 years. That's usually the norm. By then, one has over 1,000 turbine PIC, one or two types, and can write their own ticket to wherever they want to apply.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by freightdog View Post
This is not a career destination. People come here to get PIC turbine maybe type rating or two and move on. Mgmt knows this and the pilots know this. It's a mutual understanding. Most of the pilots I know that went on the bigger and better thing have been here 3-5 years. That's usually the norm. By then, one has over 1,000 turbine PIC, one or two types, and can write their own ticket to wherever they want to apply.
Thanks for the reply.

As far as I can see the major airlines largely are not hiring right now. With the large pool of regional pilots with Part 121 PIC experience that are available, where are AMF pilots getting hired? Or are they generally going to regional airlines.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Ref +8

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: North by Midwest

Well my answer is just a guess since I never flew for Ameriflight, but I have close friends that do and my understanding is that the wash-out rate is extremely high. My old instructor said his class on the 99 started out with 12 and only 3 graduated.

As for the reason they quite from what I hear is stagnation and the routine. Some of their bases are black holes that ounce you get into it there is no getting out. They get hired thinking "yeah, turbine PIC time, I'll be at FedEx in two years". Then 6 months goes by they logged 200 hrs, can't upgrade or bid another station, the get stagnated and they want to shoot themselves to get out of flying the same run.

Another complaint I'm told is your given something like three days notification before a line check, which is not much time to prepare for one. That could be another reason I guess.

At least that is the complaints I hear. I suppose it is like any other airline: pay, quality of life and seniority bid. Whether it is Downtown Aviation to Pinnacle or Lufthansa to FedEx, there will always be something you don't like and it will drive to look elsewhere.

Last edited by flywithjohn; 01-07-2012 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Spacing