Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Old 09-10-2014, 09:01 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
Why? Because my circumstances and how the company has treated me have brought me to the point where I decided this is where I want to stay?
Well, it has limited your view of how you should be treated and that is a fact. I have flown with 2 guys now that used to fly Lears at AMF for 20+ years before getting out (only because the jet program dried up otherwise they would have been lifers) and they were just so honored to make 60K and couldn't believe how awesome it was. That is a very sad existence IMHO. They also have the most skewed views of the aviation industry that I have ever seen. AMF's whole business model is designed on short term employment. So to see anyone stick around for a long period of time is short changing themselves. There is a reason why 98% of the AMF population is a revolving door.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:38 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
There is a reason why 98% of the AMF population is a revolving door.
Oh, I know this is true. And I have said that to people looking to come here. Ameriflight has always been for most pilots a stepping stone airline. And I believe that was always GR's intention.

I have interviewed and hired a LOT of pilots over my time here. And I have always given them the straight story of what they can expect for a schedule, for pay, for time to transition to bigger airplanes, etc. And then what torques me off is when they don't have the integrity to own up to their commitment and complain about the conditions that were spelled out to them.

I don't know. Maybe it's my age. Maybe it's my time in the military. But when someone gives their word to stay for a given amount of time, it tells me a lot about their character when they decide to break that commitment just because they decide something else is better. I don't care how bad they think things are.

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
So to see anyone stick around for a long period of time is short changing themselves.
I also don't believe you can reasonably make this kind of a blanket statement without knowing a given person's circumstances. And you certainly don't know mine.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: the right side

I have interviewed and hired a LOT of pilots over my time here. And I have always given them the straight story of what they can expect for a schedule, for pay, for time to transition to bigger airplanes, etc. And then what torques me off is when they don't have the integrity to own up to their commitment and complain about the conditions that were spelled out to them.
In many cases, the conditions you are sold to come here aren't true. Heck, I've slept 4 nights at home in 3 weeks, because of things have been going. It's no wonder the company gets the reputation it does on these forums, they use and abuse people, and wonder why they can't retain pilots.

But, the beatings will continue until morale improves
Old 09-11-2014, 11:03 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Blanket statements are exactly what is wrong with this forum. APC is all about pilots helping pilots. On this forum you have a small, persistent and very vocal group of guys who are bent on the idea that the best advice is to avoid the place altogether.

If you had a bad experience as a junior guy, at a junior base, flying small equipment, I don't doubt what you're saying, and you're free to vent. Former pilots can be a little more open about negatives than current pilots,
and the negatives are very well represented on this forum. On the other hand it kinda peeves me when those who say positive things are labeled "cheerleader" or "koolaid drinker," or given a "red flag" for being happy to have been here for so long.

Seriously, there are many different routes you can take within AMF, and I can't emphasize enough that every base is different. Just think for a moment, if this forum were less about the go/no go decision, and more about where to go to get what you want out of the AMF experience....

There are a bunch of guys who have managed to make life livable for several years at the company and I think there are a few key factors.

If you're based in your home town (or a place you'd like to make your home town) flying a plane you like, laying over in places you enjoy (or in a position where you rarely do layovers), getting along with management and maintenance, enjoy getting holidays and weekends off.... As you gain seniority, your schedule, pay, etc. get better. You will most likely still have career goals outside of AMF, you just get more picky about where you'll go.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:31 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2014
Default What goes around...

Maybe. But the rest don't seem to have a vendetta against Ameriflight.
Actually,
Other post have been way worst than mine, but it looks like you just like to replay to me, no big deal.
I just share my experience with others so that they can make an educated choice.
Than if what I say may seem bad, well it's just what it is!
Old 09-15-2014, 12:59 PM
Line Holder

Oh, I know this is true. And I have said that to people looking to come here. Ameriflight has always been for most pilots a stepping stone airline. And I believe that was always GR's intention.

I don't know. Maybe it's my age. Maybe it's my time in the military. But when someone gives their word to stay for a given amount of time, it tells me a lot about their character when they decide to break that commitment just because they decide something else is better. I don't care how bad they think things are.

I also don't believe you can reasonably make this kind of a blanket statement without knowing a given person's circumstances. And you certainly don't know mine.
Unfortunately what you're told at job fair or at interviews are not true.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:59 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: Left Seat

Originally Posted by kimba View Post
I would like to think pilots (or at least most) would exhibit a little bit of intelligence by doing their research before applying to a job. No Kimba I'm not saying you're not intellegent so don't take it that way. Is what I'm trying to say is that there was a point and time where people would gather intelligence on a company before applying to it. These forums serve as one, but not all ways to gather information on a possible employer (in this particular forum all you hear is banter and the negativity so take the content here with a grain of salt).

I'm definitely not the most intellegent person, getting my masters degree proves that. However, before I started at AMF I took every step possible to know what I was getting myself into. I knew before signing that doted line that I was signing up to fly SINGLE PILOT PART 135 CARGO OPS. It's a tough gig, no doubt! Though seriously what were you expecting? Did you expect to make rolls of cash flying a BE99? Did you really expect life to get better just because you got an upgrade into a type rated aircraft? If society has driven the pay so low at the regional level that pilots have to live off of food stamps, did you really think that life would be that much better flying rubber dog crap in a turbo prop to places like Safford AZ?

AMF is not a new company, the pilots going through the "revolving door" is long and it's been in constant motion for years, for a multitude of reasons, and it's not going to stop now. Did the recruiter give you a bunch of BS? Of course, it's their job! Just like everyone has a job to do. I didn't start at AMF until I was 29, spent 6 years in the military, and 3.5 years at Boeing which is a company that I wouldn't send my worst enemy to. Do you think their recruiters told me everything about the job or just the good stuff? I give you one guess.

Do your research, do not limit it to the forums or just the recruiters. I'll say this, I'm with Buff driver, if you sign the line do your time. Then if you don't like it, get out.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:17 PM
Line Holder

Default Do your research, how?

Originally Posted by Phxdvt17 View Post
I would like to think pilots (or at least most) would exhibit a little bit of intelligence by doing their research before applying to a job. No Kimba I'm not saying you're not intellegent so don't take it that way. Is what I'm trying to say is that there was a point and time where people would gather intelligence on a company before applying to it. These forums serve as one, but not all ways to gather information on a possible employer (in this particular forum all you hear is banter and the negativity so take the content here with a grain of salt).

I'm definitely not the most intellegent person, getting my masters degree proves that. However, before I started at AMF I took every step possible to know what I was getting myself into. I knew before signing that doted line that I was signing up to fly SINGLE PILOT PART 135 CARGO OPS. It's a tough gig, no doubt! Though seriously what were you expecting? Did you expect to make rolls of cash flying a BE99? Did you really expect life to get better just because you got an upgrade into a type rated aircraft? If society has driven the pay so low at the regional level that pilots have to live off of food stamps, did you really think that life would be that much better flying rubber dog crap in a turbo prop to places like Safford AZ?

AMF is not a new company, the pilots going through the "revolving door" is long and it's been in constant motion for years, for a multitude of reasons, and it's not going to stop now. Did the recruiter give you a bunch of BS? Of course, it's their job! Just like everyone has a job to do. I didn't start at AMF until I was 29, spent 6 years in the military, and 3.5 years at Boeing which is a company that I wouldn't send my worst enemy to. Do you think their recruiters told me everything about the job or just the good stuff? I give you one guess.

Do your research, do not limit it to the forums or just the recruiters. I'll say this, I'm with Buff driver, if you sign the line do your time. Then if you don't like it, get out.

Do your research is exactly what I did and what everybody should do, but there were a time when people were honest and did not BS pilots, so that they could gather their intelligence and take and educated and informed decision.
Today, it looks like this is not possible anymore.

On this forum I have noticed that everyone takes for granted that a recruiter's job is to BS people! And than they notice a 98% revolving door? No wonder!

If this forum is not reliable 100%, which I agree, and you don't know anybody that works at AMF, the only thing left is the recruiter!

No I don't think is ethical or professional to BS your future candidate and It shouldn't be considered normal that a recruiter just lies to you.

As far as the money goes, my comment was following the several others talking about the low pay at AMF.

By the way, going from AMF to a regional recently I've made more money (4-600$/month), I won't be rich but this is another BS that they tell you.
At AMF you won't make more money than a Regional and you won't skip it to go straight to a Major!

Do your research people!
Old 09-20-2014, 08:47 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2011

Do your research is exactly what I did and what everybody should do, but there were a time when people were honest and did not BS pilots, so that they could gather their intelligence and take and educated and informed decision.
Today, it looks like this is not possible anymore.

On this forum I have noticed that everyone takes for granted that a recruiter's job is to BS people! And than they notice a 98% revolving door? No wonder!

If this forum is not reliable 100%, which I agree, and you don't know anybody that works at AMF, the only thing left is the recruiter!

No I don't think is ethical or professional to BS your future candidate and It shouldn't be considered normal that a recruiter just lies to you.

As far as the money goes, my comment was following the several others talking about the low pay at AMF.

By the way, going from AMF to a regional recently I've made more money (4-600$/month), I won't be rich but this is another BS that they tell you.
At AMF you won't make more money than a Regional and you won't skip it to go straight to a Major!

Do your research people!

I've seen your posts on here for quite some time, and all I have to say in return is that I'm sorry your time at AMF wasn't a good experience for you.

That being said, I don't think it's fair to make a generalized statement that AMF doesn't pay more than 1 regional (yours... I'm guessing SkyWest or possibly 2nd year elsewhere, maybe XJet or similar).

AMF paid a better first year pay (with a 7 year old scale) than every regional I've seen with the exception of possibly horizon. This is minimum guarantee though.

With the new pay scales, they will be better paying in the first year, and better than most all of the regionals I've seen for the second year as well (assuming you're still in the PA31); that is, of course, unless you upgrade. If you upgrade to the 99, it gives a slight edge. I'd you're already in typed equipment by this time, than there's no competition, AMF has the edge.

By the end of the 3rd year, you're slightly higher (in some cases even) with an AMF pay scale than most regionals. If you're a captain at the regionals by this point, you may have some ground to stand on (in terms of pay). The possible advtanges over a regional though, are TPIC time, decision making, PIC mentality, and a different kind of experience (not to mention very good IFR skills/scan).

Yes, people do skip the regionals at AMF, is it the norm though... Not necessarily, but it's not a lie either. With the new Allegiant agreement, you CAN skip the regionals. 3 years time, logical progression, 1000 TPIC assured.

When I spoke with the recruiter, they gave me the highlights and selling points for AMF - that's exactly what other companies do, I don't get where the lie is here. I've talked to plenty of other people who were told the same thing. I was told about the salary figures, benefits, time off accrual, etc... Additionally, I was given what an average day is like, the training process, and a normal progression.

Is a recruiter going to discuss the "bad" things at a company? Maybe, but certainly they won't tell you those things first, and they won't spend a ton of time on it, otherwise, no one would want to go there. I was given all of the info by the recruiter, and used that to determine what I'd be getting into. There's a whole wealth of information ALL over this forum... Just use the search feature. Look at all of the opinions, and see what to make of a company (although generally on the forums, I only hear about the bad).

There are advantages and disadvantages to every company. So many times, I've heard people here say AMF is what you make of it, and it seems like it was certainly that for you.

I'm glad your time at _______ airlines is better than the experience you had at AMF. To recap, I don't think your statements are fair assessments, look at the bigger picture, AMF is going to be what you make of it. There are invaluable lessons, experiences, and tools to be learned/utilized at both regionals and 135 freight ops.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:25 PM
Line Holder

Thank you for your articulate answer, you give me the chance to clarify a couple of points.

My experience at AMF was negative because of the people I had to work with!
I wasn't lie from the recruiter, I knew what I was about to do and to be honest the best part at AMF is the flying!
But for the rest of the people you have to work with... they are able to make you change your mind.
It's a fact that 98% of pilots leave, there's got to be a reason, specially when they leave AMF to go and be a SIC in a regional, look around and see how many do that!

As far as the pay goes, in two sentences you have nominated three regionals that pay more than AMF but you still believe that AMF pays better, It's confusing!
You are comparing SIC pay with a PIC pay, it's not the same and it cannot be compare.
If you work for a part 135 company and you fly as a PIC that's what you should be paid

It was posted by Vidra and it talks about King Air pilot pay in a part 135 company:

Average: $58,000
Low: $49,000
High: $72,000

Pro Pilot Magazine 2013 Salary Study

Ask your self: where am I?

Pay scale at AMF, if I well recall are ridiculous, an increase of 1 dollar per hour per year is not increase at all! It's just and adjustment to the increase of cost of living.
In a Regional you go from and average of 22$/hr to 30-37 the second year as a SIC.
So even as a SIC in a Regional you'll make more money than a PIC at AMF. Than when you become PIC on a type rated plane you'll still make less than a PIC in a Regional, so I don't really get where you take your info but I haven't seen a better pay at AMF than at Regional, and I'm talking for things that I've done myself and not from people who know people, etc...
You may underestimate the importance of what you just said: min line guarantee!
It means that in a Regional you work less for more money!
Once again, how can you say the opposite I don't know.

People skipping regional to go major?
First of all, the agreement with Allegiant is recent and it will take way more than the two years that the recruiter talks about when you go for a job fair or interview to get there. Read all the requirements.
if you really want to go there, log 1500hrs, join a regional and in 18 months you'll have the min to apply, not three years min at AMF.
By the way, Allegiant? Is this what you want to do? Go from one crapy company to a worst one? Good luck! take a look at the post about Allegiant, too.

As far as how good a pilot become at AMF, so far it looks like Allegiant is the only company that recognize that, once again good luck!

Fights on!!!