Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Old 09-30-2015, 07:29 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2015

Thanks. Any comments on where do ex Ameriflight pilots get hired once they leave? Heard they are short staffed at most of their bases....
Old 09-30-2015, 08:16 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: Left seat bizjet

Originally Posted by Corso1 View Post
Thanks. Any comments on where do ex Ameriflight pilots get hired once they leave? Heard they are short staffed at most of their bases....

Yup, we have 3 more runs than pilots in my base currently, with a couple more with their 2 week notices on the horizon. Anyway, we had a guy leave (Metro/ACP etc) to fly a G450. We also have had 99 guys leave to fly king airs (with a jet upgrade possible/probable). One is flying a Hawker 800. All personnel I know have left in the last 6 months with 6 months to a few years at AMF, and all have close to more than doubled their AMF pay. Once you get that 500 multi turbine PIC the options and pay open up quite a bit. PM for details.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2015, 04:51 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

It's pretty easy to leave for jet charter or a fractional. Really easy to leave to a regional. With some hard work and some ass kissing you can go to one of the glorified regionals like Allegiant or Frontier. A top national or major, don't hold your breath. The industry is shaking up though so things should get easier for AMF pilots as far as job prospects.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:01 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: the right side

Regionals. Almost every one I know has either left for a regional or a bottom tier fractional type company.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:02 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by KSCessnaDriver View Post
Regionals. Almost every one I know has either left for a regional or a bottom tier fractional type company.

Ugh. I couldn't imagine going from this to a regional. Too bad this career field requires you hop from one ***tty job to the next for years on end. It seems that this place lends itself well to going a corporate route. A guy just got hired out of our base and the DO, CP etc told him in their eyes AMF is a big plus. Not sure if that speaks to our flying abilities or how much crap we are willing to put up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2015, 10:10 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by LRSRanger View Post
Ugh. I couldn't imagine going from this to a regional. Too bad this career field requires you hop from one ***tty job to the next for years on end. It seems that this place lends itself well to going a corporate route. A guy just got hired out of our base and the DO, CP etc told him in their eyes AMF is a big plus. Not sure if that speaks to our flying abilities or how much crap we are willing to put up with.

First charter company that hired me highly preferred AMF guys, in fact it was full of AMF alum. It was 24/7 on call flying ****ty airplanes in the land of grey area regulations, they loved getting pilots they had already understood being used and abused, that was quoted to me by the DO himself.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:53 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: the right side

I left for a 121 supplemental carrier, been there for 9 months or so, and now I'm heading to a regional. While getting jet time and 121 experience was nice, flying less than 300 hours a year isn't going to cut it. Plus, the easiest way to a major is a regional, like it or not.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:04 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2014

Originally Posted by KSCessnaDriver View Post
I left for a 121 supplemental carrier, been there for 9 months or so, and now I'm heading to a regional. While getting jet time and 121 experience was nice, flying less than 300 hours a year isn't going to cut it. Plus, the easiest way to a major is a regional, like it or not.
Agreed. If the goal is a major other than alligent/spirit/frontier, a regional is the easiest and quickest way. Don't know why people don't like them. these days the pay is getting better, they have better benefits and depends how you handle your schedule you even get to be home more time.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:12 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Seat 0B

There are plenty of AMF pilots here at SKW. My QOL and pay (3rd yr) is leaps and bounds better than when I was when freight doggin' it.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:26 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Here's some math for the evening, all figures are for CA. In spite of the pay raise a year ago, and the retention bonus that went into effect our pay is still absolutely pathetic.

If I dropped out of high school and flipped burgers, here's how my pay would stack up to our 1st year BE99 line pilot.

I am counting time at the layover as time worked. Why? Because if I hired you to mow my lawn, but stipulated that you must mow the front in the AM and the back in the PM, you would expect to be paid for the time you wasted all day, not just the time you are actually mowing.

Minimum wage is $9/hr, which goes to time and a half at 8 hours, and double time after 12.

12 hour day = $126/day or $630 per week.
13 hour day = $144/day or $720 per week.
14 hour day = $162/day or $810 per week.
15 hour day = $180/day or $900 per week.

AMF is $16.35 X 8 units a day for a total of $130.80 a day or $654 per week. The first run I had out of training was 15 hours a day, with late call each day to avoid hitting reduced rest. Thus I was $246 per week UNDER minimum wage. Most runs in my base seem to be between 13.5-14.5 hours a duty day, thus all under what you would be getting paid at Del Taco for the same time away from wives, kids, hobbies etc.

Now assuming you qualify for that $10,000/yr retention bonus, let's see how pay stacks up. Never mind that if you passed your checkride just a few days after a 4 month cutoff window you are ******* outta luck...

10,000/52 weeks is $192.30 per week, which kicks you up to the astronomical sum of $845/wk pre tax. So if you have a run that averages 14.5 hours a week (common) you've finally hit Wendy's drive through level compensation. If you choose to throw in a 4 unit (8 hour half day) you would earn $65.40 at AMF vs 72 working the drive through.

This isn't so much a bash on AMF, as on the industry as a whole. Like I can feed my kids with turbine time. However, the game is changing, and regionals are looking better and better all the time. I've got one foot out the door (thank Christ) so it doesn't really affect me, but Dallas should look long and hard at the weekly compensation vs hours worked if they want to stop the pilot hemorrhage.

I've never seen a breakdown for hours worked vs compensation at a regional these days, though I've been told living in base QOL is much better with similar compensation compared to AMF. Am I way off base?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk