Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 09:45 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: Left seat bizjet

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
I would think an upgrade to MIA would be very possible once you have another 3-400 hours in your book... Our "book" number for the metro is 2500 hrs TT but most in house transitions have been going in the 16-1800 hour range.
VS
Because realistically, from an experience standpoint, it takes more than 6 months for a 1200-1300 hour pilot to get where they can truly handle an airplane like a metro.

So which one is it scooter? Is this poor guy gonna get his upgrade to MIA in a reasonable amount of time or not? Talking to him you say 300 hours (about 6 months of flying on a lot of 99 runs) and you can upgrade to MIA and a metro, and then just a couple posts later you say it takes longer than 6 months to upgrade. How much longer? A year, 18 months?

So here you have this guy making a career decision based upon folks telling him his potential upgrade time is significantly under a year. The SAME thing happened to me. I was told i would have opportunities to bid what my family needed, and that didn't happen. It wasn't my logbook times or my qualifications, I was a training captain, no failed checkrides etc. No responses on my requests, either positive or negative. My emails, phone calls, and requests went largely into a black hole. So I quit at 11 months with the company. Had management at least given me the dignity of a response to my requests, I most likely would still be flying Amazon boxes full of junk. If it wasn't a crap place to work your employees might stick around. Try not answering your supervisors phone calls, texts or emails for a month and see if you don't get fired. Why shouldn't it work the other way?

I apologize for "trolling" this thread by trying to insert a little bit of honesty. Ameriflight doesn't give a damn about its pilots outside of them being bags of meat which take their cargo from point A to point B. I'm still waiting for my pay issue from November to be resolved. That's how much they care. Potential new hires deserve to hear that side of the story.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2016, 09:57 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Default Ameriflight

Originally Posted by vadermonkey View Post
3- is the transfer/upgrade back to KMIA true for someone with my time, or is it a bait and switch to get me in to a route no one wants?

Smart kid. It'll happen eventually, but I wouldn't count on any sort of timeline.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2016, 10:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by LRSRanger View Post
VS

So which one is it scooter? Is this poor guy gonna get his upgrade to MIA in a reasonable amount of time or not? Talking to him you say 300 hours (about 6 months of flying on a lot of 99 runs) and you can upgrade to MIA and a metro, and then just a couple posts later you say it takes longer than 6 months to upgrade. How much longer? A year, 18 months?
And a lot of 99 runs don't get 50 hour per month. Which is why I prefer to talk hours and not months. I can't tell someone I have never met that he will be able to move from where he is when he gets here to transitioning into a metro (or any other plane) in a certain amount of time. I have seen that done in the past and then the pilot himself doesn't have the skills to go that quick and then it becomes our fault that he doesn't upgrade. I'm not saying this pilot doesn't but I just don't know.

You gripe about being sold a bill of goods. I try not to do that. I will always try to give the most accurate information that I have, based on my experience both as a pilot and with the time I have spent at AMF. If that doesn't agree with your take, please don't imply that I'm a liar.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:38 PM
Gets Weekends Off

I will always try to give the most accurate information that I have, based on my experience both as a pilot and with the time I have spent at AMF. If that doesn't agree with your take, please don't imply that I'm a liar.

And I do the same. I was there, been there, done that. I know what my corner of AMF was like; it sucked. Good experience, PIC time and move on sooner rather than later. Good riddance. I know and stay in contact with a half dozen folks who's experiences mirror mine, all of who's (often brief) time at AMF qualified them for bigger and better things.

And I won't insinuate you are a liar so long as you don't try to devalue my opinion by labeling me as a troll. I have just as much of a right to my opinion as you do, and just as much of a right to voice it. I just have (what I assume) higher career aspirations than you do, so I didn't stay in the suck any longer than was required to increase my income and quality of life somewhere else.

I've never told folks not to work there, I've just cautioned them buyer beware, and that after 500 hours of PIC turbine time they can make double AMF pay with a little networking and some personality. Both of which are true, so why are you so defensive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2016, 06:54 PM
On Reserve

Position: A320 Captain

hey guys, maybe I opened up a can of worms here...

I just wanted to thank all of you for your help in making my decision, as of this afternoon I did indeed accept the offer they gave me for the Salt Lake 99 position, and my class date is Mar 14. I took all of your advice to heart, and both positive and negative experiences described assisted me in making my final decision. due to the lack of training contract and relatively low risk to join and moderate pay, I think even if it's a mistake, it cant hurt to try, especially compared to the joke 135 i'm stuck in now.

Thank you all again, and hopefully we'll meet on the line

Cheers
Old 02-08-2016, 07:22 PM
Gets Weekends Off

I just wanted to thank all of you for your help in making my decision, as of this afternoon I did indeed accept the offer they gave me for the Salt Lake 99 position, and my class date is Mar 14. I took all of your advice to heart, and both positive and negative experiences described assisted me in making my final decision. due to the lack of training contract and relatively low risk to join and moderate pay, I think even if it's a mistake, it cant hurt to try, especially compared to the joke 135 i'm stuck in now.

Cheers

Congrats! Whether your experience is good or bad you will be a better pilot for it; I'm still glad I did some time there. I am surprised there was no training contract, though I do know a metro guy hired last fall that never signed one either. Free ATP and a type for him.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2016, 08:33 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2015
Position: Left Seat Brasilia, 1900, 99

Cheers
Congrats! As LRS has pointed out, results here greatly vary. Luckily my experiences at the SLC base have been pretty sweet... Home every night and spend your days flying through the mountains.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:40 PM
On Reserve

Position: A320 Captain

by the way, how's the skiing down in Salt Lake?
Old 02-09-2016, 06:33 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

SLC is a fairly good base. That being said you will leave for the regionals in 6 months lol.

Don't listen to ANYONE who uses the phrase "home every night" at Ameriflight...
Old 02-09-2016, 06:45 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Don't you ever get tired of trolling this thread?

If we could ever get a few guys willing to respect the commitment they make when the agree to a year (do you remember that from indoc?) then we could get the staffing to the level where we CAN improve the QOL.

Because realistically, from an experience standpoint, it takes more than 6 months for a 1200-1300 hour pilot to get where they can truly handle an airplane like a metro.
Well if the company was willing to treat pilots like human beings, they would probably stay. It isn't like they are taking that "valuable" Metro type and leaving for another Metro job. Smart pilots wise up quick and realize they were sold some white lies and the QOL isn't worth staying for. I mean you might be shocked, but nobody else is.