Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 09:55 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by kforrest8480 View Post
Ok, yeah I saw on their page that 500tt was the published minimum. I asked on their Facebook page, since they're always advertising hiring, if they hire sub 500tt and they told me they're not sure but apply anyways, they'd love to have my resume. So I did and wasn't sure if they ever look at people sub published 500tt.
Thanks.
The only "sub 500TT" FO I am aware of was a guy a couple years ago who started out in the commercial FO program. He had about 350 hours when an E120 FO spot came open. They offered it to him and he did well. But the from what I have heard, the only reason he was offered it was because the recruiting person didn't check his hours and didn't realize he only had 350.

I have flown the Bro for about 10 years and a V1 cut can be a handful. That is the primary reason we want folks with a few more hours. That, and it is a more systems intensive plane than the rest that we fly.

I'm not saying you won't get hired but your chances are better with more hours. There is also no shortage of guys looking that meet the mins. (The shortage comes in when we start looking for direct hires that meet 135 mins. Which is why we have started hiring FOs for ALL of our aircraft; to get people in the door.)
Old 05-27-2016, 06:10 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2016

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
The only "sub 500TT" FO I am aware of was a guy a couple years ago who started out in the commercial FO program. He had about 350 hours when an E120 FO spot came open. They offered it to him and he did well. But the from what I have heard, the only reason he was offered it was because the recruiting person didn't check his hours and didn't realize he only had 350.

I have flown the Bro for about 10 years and a V1 cut can be a handful. That is the primary reason we want folks with a few more hours. That, and it is a more systems intensive plane than the rest that we fly.

I'm not saying you won't get hired but your chances are better with more hours. There is also no shortage of guys looking that meet the mins. (The shortage comes in when we start looking for direct hires that meet 135 mins. Which is why we have started hiring FOs for ALL of our aircraft; to get people in the door.)
Ok thank you very much. Very informative... I have a CFI academy at American Flyers all set up on the 23rd so I plan on doing my CFI if I can't find a job in a month and then reapplying once I get more time. But Ameriflight seems like a pretty good gig and I currently live in south FL. I know they have an Opa-locka base so itd seem like a pretty good QOL for such low hours.
Thanks for the info.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Ok thank you very much. Very informative... I have a CFI academy at American Flyers all set up on the 23rd so I plan on doing my CFI if I can't find a job in a month and then reapplying once I get more time. But Ameriflight seems like a pretty good gig and I currently live in south FL. I know they have an Opa-locka base so itd seem like a pretty good QOL for such low hours.
Thanks for the info.
I know they have at least one E120 based there and maybe 2. So it is a good spot to get in as an FO.

Good luck to you. Maybe we will fly together one day, since I am qualified in the 120.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:58 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2016
Position: Cessna 172 CFI

Ok, yeah I saw on their page that 500tt was the published minimum. I asked on their Facebook page, since they're always advertising hiring, if they hire sub 500tt and they told me they're not sure but apply anyways, they'd love to have my resume. So I did and wasn't sure if they ever look at people sub published 500tt.
Thanks.

I would go to the AMF website and look up how to call the recruiters. Shows more interest on your part than just dropping a resume. I called and ended up getting a phone interview. I have 850 hours. Get that CFI and start building time!

Good luck to you

Last edited by Flyinlynn; 05-30-2016 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Additional comments
Old 05-30-2016, 06:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

[QUOTE=Flyinlynn;2137362]I would go to the AMF website and look up how to call the recruiters. Shows more interest on your part than just dropping a resume. I called and ended up getting a phone interview. I have 850 hours. Get that CFI and start building time!

Good luck

Good advice, even if you think it's a long shot.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:13 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2012
Position: FO

Curious about the PDX Metro Captain opening. I'm an ATP with an SA-227 type living near PDX. Is most of the Metro flying still single pilot? Any idea what the schedule looks like?
Old 06-03-2016, 12:13 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2016

Got my offer letter for the EMB-120 a few weeks ago.

680TT, 200ME, 140 Turbine, 105 IMC, 70 NT. 400X Country

BFI Base, $31,000/yr. $35 per diem, no training contract. 9/hr in training. Training 4-5 weeks in Dallas/Atlanta.

Sent me a box of self study material. Should be interesting to see how it goes.

Gouge:
1. You just departed Dallas, there's a T-Storm directly in front of you. What direction do you go around it?
2. You are at 10,000ft you need to descend to 1,000ft. When do you begin your descent?
3. Wx is below mins, can you depart? Wx is below mins can you shoot the approach? Wx is below mins, can you shoot the approach after the FAF?
4. IFR alternate requirements (Wanted 91, I gave both 91 and 135)
5. Departure alternates
6. Holding speeds
7. Max airspeeds (under 10k, Class B)
8. Tell me about a time you were in an emergency, what did you do?

May be forgetting a few more.

Interview took about 1.5 hours on the phone after all the HR type questions. Seems like a pretty good gig so far! No in person interview.

-Alex
Old 06-03-2016, 04:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Griffin20 View Post
Curious about the PDX Metro Captain opening. I'm an ATP with an SA-227 type living near PDX. Is most of the Metro flying still single pilot? Any idea what the schedule looks like?
All metro pilots are trained primarily for single pilot ops. We do have some employed FOs (folks building time to become captains) and some commercial FOs through the KAL program. But there is no guarantee of an FO on any given run.

I don't have specifics for PDX runs. I do know we are hiring into every base for the aircraft they have even if there are no specific runs available at the time. In that case we you would basically be a home based pilot who would TDY to other bases where there IS an open run until such time as you can hold a line in your base. Also, several runs listed for a specific base may actually be "out stationed," meaning they start and end the week away from the base. In that case you would be expected to be at the outstation for the beginning of your run, usually on Monday.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:50 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2014

Pretty sure the only PDX metro run is the La Grande run which is outstationed. Its Mon to Sat and you would only be in PDX for the overnights. It currently has a KAL FO on it.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:59 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2015

Originally Posted by sobo View Post
Got my offer letter for the EMB-120 a few weeks ago.

680TT, 200ME, 140 Turbine, 105 IMC, 70 NT. 400X Country

BFI Base, $31,000/yr. $35 per diem, no training contract. 9/hr in training. Training 4-5 weeks in Dallas/Atlanta.

Sent me a box of self study material. Should be interesting to see how it goes.

Gouge:
1. You just departed Dallas, there's a T-Storm directly in front of you. What direction do you go around it?
2. You are at 10,000ft you need to descend to 1,000ft. When do you begin your descent?
3. Wx is below mins, can you depart? Wx is below mins can you shoot the approach? Wx is below mins, can you shoot the approach after the FAF?
4. IFR alternate requirements (Wanted 91, I gave both 91 and 135)
5. Departure alternates
6. Holding speeds
7. Max airspeeds (under 10k, Class B)
8. Tell me about a time you were in an emergency, what did you do?

May be forgetting a few more.

Interview took about 1.5 hours on the phone after all the HR type questions. Seems like a pretty good gig so far! No in person interview.

-Alex
whens training and whats in the in the self study material if don't mind asking? congrats!