Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 12:46 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by LRSRanger View Post
I imagine all the FO applicants are getting the run around from recruiting because FOs (other than the 120) are pretty much worthless as far as adding immediate benefit to the company. They draw a paycheck and add no benefit, as the plane can be flown single pilot. I imagine that given a lack of qualified captain applicants, they are hiring FOs and hoping some of them stick around after they hit 1200 and actually PIC revenue producing runs. It used to be that Koreans filled the right seat, and they PAID for the opportunity to do so. I'll bet a number of FOs warm a seat till 1200 hours, upgrade, then quit at 1500 for a regional. So FOs aren't top priority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It must be tough to be so bitter.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Originally Posted by LRSRanger View Post
....they are hiring FOs and hoping some of them stick around after they hit 1200 and actually PIC revenue producing runs.

Not just a hope, more of an expectation, and something they are looking for in an FO candiate. If people don't stick around long enough to make it worth AMF's investment (ie time in the captain's seat), the program is a failure and it goes away. One less opportunity for low time pilots.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:12 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

There are lots of opportunities for low time pilots now days, that offer a better product than what AMF can. It sucks to see guys leaving so early but you can't blame them.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:16 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: Left seat bizjet

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post

Not bitter at all, I got what I wanted out of the AMF experience. Can you give me a reason AMF would pay someone to warm a seat that they are not needed to fill OTHER than hoping that they stay on after upgrade??

Old 09-02-2016, 01:19 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by own nav View Post
Not just a hope, more of an expectation, and something they are looking for in an FO candiate. If people don't stick around long enough to make it worth AMF's investment (ie time in the captain's seat), the program is a failure and it goes away. One less opportunity for low time pilots.

When in INDOC 2 years ago they cited this as a reason they were hesitant to hire SICs. There were a couple in my class, but they were extremely close to their mins, and would be PIC eligible within a month or so. Rumors I've heard is that they are hiring folks to SIC runs that never used to have a SIC at 800 hours and below, as well as VFR only folks in places like ABQ. Doesn't seem to me to bear the mark of a healthy pilot population.

Old 09-02-2016, 03:25 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2014

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
That didn't sound bitter. Pretty much spot on.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:27 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by Hand Commander View Post
That didn't sound bitter. Pretty much spot on.
It is spot on. I also said this a few pages back, and low time guys that are waiting on calls back from AMF are feeling this issue 100%. It is unfortunately accurate.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:32 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Luckily folks are screaming for flight instructors, and pay is up in that corner of the industry too. Yea, flying students day after day sucks, but you'll be burning kerosine before long. When sub-1000 hours I would rather log 7 hours of PIC then 2 hours of SIC in a single pilot airplane.

Old 09-02-2016, 03:32 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2012

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
There are lots of opportunities for low time pilots now days, that offer a better product than what AMF can. It sucks to see guys leaving so early but you can't blame them.

Could you name those opportunities please? really interested as a low timer myself
Old 09-02-2016, 03:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Javichu View Post
Could you name those opportunities please? really interested as a low timer myself

If you are willing to relocate to WA state I can get you a job at a scheduled commuter operation. 135 PIC time, and lots of it.