Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 09:12 AM
Apteryx

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Originally Posted by tbmpilot View Post
Wear a tie. Don't speak unless spoken to.
I sure disagree with "tbmpilot" about "don't speak unless spoken to. Yes, do wear a tie -- it's kind of a tie-wearing company. BUT -- if you've got a question in class, ASK IT!

May not seem like it, but the instructors are (a) interested in trainees' input, and (b) are getting paid to make sure the trainees understand the stuff they're trying to shovel into them. If you don't get it, they aren't succeeding. If you listen to the instructors chat in the office, you'll find they aren't impressed by trainees who sit there like inflatable dolls.

Intelligent questions or comments are welcome. Often those questions are the same ones adherents to the "don't speak" philosophy would like to assk themselves, but don't. Be sure yours doesn't reveal that you've been asleep for the past hour. . . .
Old 02-28-2010, 02:33 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: C90B

Originally Posted by Oldog View Post
I sure disagree with "tbmpilot" about "don't speak unless spoken to. Yes, do wear a tie -- it's kind of a tie-wearing company. BUT -- if you've got a question in class, ASK IT!

May not seem like it, but the instructors are (a) interested in trainees' input, and (b) are getting paid to make sure the trainees understand the stuff they're trying to shovel into them. If you don't get it, they aren't succeeding. If you listen to the instructors chat in the office, you'll find they aren't impressed by trainees who sit there like inflatable dolls.

Intelligent questions or comments are welcome. Often those questions are the same ones adherents to the "don't speak" philosophy would like to assk themselves, but don't. Be sure yours doesn't reveal that you've been asleep for the past hour. . . .
Man who's paying you to say this??

AMF's training was the most disorganized training I've ever been through. If a trainee isn't "getting it" they just figure they're weeding out the weak ones (which I agree with.. If they can't cut it in the sim they don't belong on the line) They don't ask the trainees at the end if they have any input on improving the training. And don't get me started on Bob's useless drabble about VFR flying and just grazing over the important 135 regs. Don't get me wrong AMF produces good 135 pilots but the training isn't professional in my opinion. It needs major improvement and specifically in the first week of indoc with Bob.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:16 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2008
Position: PIC

Originally Posted by Stratapilot View Post
Unfortunately, all i have is "CFI stinky loser" time . I'll be patient and tactfully harass them.
That's the right attitude ma man. In this industry it's all about patience, but even as you wait your turn, it never hurts to let them know that you're upto the challenge right now! Good luck...hope you get that call.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2008

Originally Posted by Oldog View Post
I sure disagree with "tbmpilot" about "don't speak unless spoken to.
Anyway, it was just an obscure "Fate is the Hunter" reference, followed by a smiley face...
Old 03-01-2010, 07:51 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: Sleeping

Any advice on the interview.. what to say, what to avoid saying? HR answers they would like to hear...
Old 03-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Line Holder

Position: Left Seat PA31-350

Be yourself, or knowing you maybe not lol jk
Old 03-02-2010, 05:28 AM
Day puke

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Out.

Originally Posted by Moonwolf View Post
Any advice on the interview.. what to say, what to avoid saying? HR answers they would like to hear...
That big yellow thing in the sky annoys me.
GPS is for losers.
I love being extended.
Grounding items only fail while enroute to a mx base.

(Not responsible for early termination of the interview)
Old 03-02-2010, 07:45 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Originally Posted by FlyJSH View Post
That big yellow thing in the sky annoys me.
GPS is for losers.
I love being extended.
Grounding items only fail while enroute to a mx base.

(Not responsible for early termination of the interview)
Good one.

Seriously, though, one thing that people might not consider is that AMF doesn't mind you using them as a stepping stone to bigger things.

Sure, you want to fulfill your commitment, make a contribution and all, but telling them that you want to fly for a major airline, fractional, etc in a few years, won't hurt you at all.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:25 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2008

Originally Posted by Scooter2525 View Post
I'll second the flows. Don't stress the knowledge stuff in indoc. Flows are what will be the challenge come sim time.
That's not quite true...Yes the flows are vitally important if you want to succeed, but you need to know the indoc material also. If you have any questions you can call me. 818-813-1599. i am on the west coast so please don't call before 0600 or after 2100.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:31 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2008

Originally Posted by Scooter2525 View Post
I'll second the flows. Don't stress the knowledge stuff in indoc. Flows are what will be the challenge come sim time.
Originally Posted by murphfly View Post
Man who's paying you to say this??

AMF's training was the most disorganized training I've ever been through. If a trainee isn't "getting it" they just figure they're weeding out the weak ones (which I agree with.. If they can't cut it in the sim they don't belong on the line) They don't ask the trainees at the end if they have any input on improving the training. And don't get me started on Bob's useless drabble about VFR flying and just grazing over the important 135 regs. Don't get me wrong AMF produces good 135 pilots but the training isn't professional in my opinion. It needs major improvement and specifically in the first week of indoc with Bob.
I don't know what you are flying or where your based, but try not to crap on the training too bad, shall we. One of the aircraft systems ground schools was just audited by the FAA and they said it was on par with what Horizon Airlines is doing, and clearly head and shoulders above what ANY 135 operator is currently offering. There are a lot of good people involved in the training department who go way above and beyond every day to make life better for you. If you know who I am, then you know it's true.