Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Old 05-30-2010, 07:24 PM
Apteryx

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Originally Posted by Luv2Rotate View Post
Its a Frasca Sim. Study VFR/IFR charts, approach plates and scenario questions regarding approaches, weather and alternates. Know the systems of the aircraft you have recent or most time in and be yourself. "Say your prayers and take your vitamins" and you should be ok. GL
At BUR the sim usually used for pre-hires is a Chieftain box custom built by ATC Flight Simulator years ago. One of the easiest sims to fly there is. So stable they usually keep a little turbulence cranked in so you can't just point it and sit there. At other stations they use what's available -- Frasca, AST, etc.

Being current and sharp on the gages is A LOT more important than experience in a specific kind of simulator. If you don't have recent, hands-on instrument flying experience you'll have a tough time. Unless you're flying in the goo on a daily basis, a couple of hours of line-oriented flying with plenty of terminal procedures in almost any kind of reasonably sophisticated FTD (has to be above the PC-based desktop ones) will do the trick.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:18 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

Originally Posted by Oldog View Post
At BUR the sim usually used for pre-hires is a Chieftain box custom built by ATC Flight Simulator years ago. One of the easiest sims to fly there is. So stable they usually keep a little turbulence cranked in so you can't just point it and sit there. At other stations they use what's available -- Frasca, AST, etc.

Being current and sharp on the gages is A LOT more important than experience in a specific kind of simulator. If you don't have recent, hands-on instrument flying experience you'll have a tough time. Unless you're flying in the goo on a daily basis, a couple of hours of line-oriented flying with plenty of terminal procedures in almost any kind of reasonably sophisticated FTD (has to be above the PC-based desktop ones) will do the trick.
Good advice oldog, also anyone who's looking at the gouges for AMF the BUR ILS 8 has recently changed. Those changes might show up as questions in future interviews.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:27 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Frieght Dog

Has something changed? I read that amflight stopped a new-hire class a month or so ago and suspended hiring for the time being. No open positions listed on the website either... though they are accepting resumes. I'd be interested in OAK if they were to hire. Anyone know if the ice is breaking up on the hiring front? Thanks!
Old 06-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2009
Position: E-170

Originally Posted by Petethedog View Post
Has something changed? I read that amflight stopped a new-hire class a month or so ago and suspended hiring for the time being. No open positions listed on the website either... though they are accepting resumes. I'd be interested in OAK if they were to hire. Anyone know if the ice is breaking up on the hiring front? Thanks!
Ice?.....Definitely not. We hired to many people in anticipation of work that never came. I would be surprised if there isn't another new hire class in a couple months.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Apteryx

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Originally Posted by freightdog View Post
Good advice oldog, also anyone who's looking at the gouges for AMF the BUR ILS 8 has recently changed. Those changes might show up as questions in future interviews.

I say again -- it's a lot more important to be generally sharp than to try to sandbag the interview by boning up on info in "gouges" that may or may not be correct or current.

The specific questions you'll get asked, and the things you'll get to do in the sim, vary from time to time and from interviewer to interviewer. In my opinion the gouge approach is the wrong way to go.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:14 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2008

What effect will the UPS furloughs have on you guys? Will this lead to a reduction in flying for AMF?
Old 06-05-2010, 08:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007

Really? You think there might be a class in a couple of months! My good friend just got furloughed there, good to here that it might come back up. Where did you here this so I can tell him.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:02 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2008

Originally Posted by F2GSuper View Post
What effect will the UPS furloughs have on you guys? Will this lead to a reduction in flying for AMF?

It won't affect AMF at all. The UPS furloughs are coming at a time when that company is actually increasing its flying. On the AMF side a couple runs have moved to larger equipment, this is a reversal from a year ago when a few runs were downgraded.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

Originally Posted by febtober29 View Post
It won't affect AMF at all. The UPS furloughs are coming at a time when that company is actually increasing its flying. On the AMF side a couple runs have moved to larger equipment, this is a reversal from a year ago when a few runs were downgraded.
By the time UPS furloughs all those pilots they are going to have to bring them back with the increase in flying that's happening. Our international flying seems to be picking up as well.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:00 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2008

Originally Posted by Oldog View Post
My spies are everywhere.
I think you mean eyes!