Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Part 121 vs. 135 logging x-c

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 12:50 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2009
Default Part 121 vs. 135 logging x-c

Someone please just settle this i am sure it has been asked b4 (i looked)

Part 121: xc has to be 50nm but no landing?

part 135: point to point, no distance req. but must make landing?---> sooooo Dual flight, 2 hrs of manuevers, quick touch and go at a different airport and i get 2hrs xc right?

also presently looking to go 135 after instructing what if i change my mind and want to shoot for a 121 gig? Does all that time xc time become worthless?

well? does it?
Old 03-09-2009, 03:49 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

It's 50 nm for Part 61 requirements, like the ATP:
61.1(b)(3)(vi)
"(vi) For the purpose of meeting the aeronautical experience requirements for an airline transport pilot certificate (except with a rotorcraft category rating), time acquired during a flight—
(A) Conducted in an appropriate aircraft;
(B) That is at least a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and
(C) That involves the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems."

For the PPL, CPL, and IR:
61.1(b)(3)(ii)
" (ii) For the purpose of meeting the aeronautical experience requirements (except for a rotorcraft category rating), for a private pilot certificate (except for a powered parachute category rating), a commercial pilot certificate, or an instrument rating, or for the purpose of exercising recreational pilot privileges (except in a rotorcraft) under §61.101 (c), time acquired during a flight—
(A) Conducted in an appropriate aircraft;
(B) That includes a point of landing that was at least a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and
(C) That involves the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems to navigate to the landing point."

The 135 PIC X/C (135.243) is under this broad definition:
61.1(b)(3)
"(3) Cross-country time means— (i) Except as provided in paragraphs (b)(3)(ii) through (b)(3)(vi) of this section, time acquired during flight—
(A) Conducted by a person who holds a pilot certificate;
(B) Conducted in an aircraft;
(C) That includes a landing at a point other than the point of departure; and
(D) That involves the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems to navigate to the landing point."
Old 03-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Gets Weekends Off

OK, so what about my scenario on the dual flight? Also, could making a mistake here result in revocation of a ticket since it was logged incorretly? I cant believe how vague the regs are on this. I have been logging all my dual given flight with a touch and go at a different airport as xc is this cool. . . please advise

Last edited by slipped; 03-09-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:27 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007

You need two columns. One for ratings (50nm), and one for 135/121 (whatever). You also need to learn how to read the regs, Dad's tired and needs a nap. Good luck.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

Originally Posted by Boris Badenov View Post
You need two columns. One for ratings (50nm), and one for 135/121 (whatever). You also need to learn how to read the regs, Dad's tired and needs a nap. Good luck.
I made a column in my logbook "Apt to Apt" for my XC time for 135 mins. Once I got my time I just stopped labeling and filling out that column and my "Turbine" time took over that column. In my Jepp Logbook it has a XC column that I use for anythng over 50 NM.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: Any port in the storm

If you happen to go 121 later, it doesn't make much of a difference...But yes, when you're applying for an ATP, the point-to-point time doesn't help you satisfy any requirements.

Don't worry...You'll get the 500 xc greater than 50 miles for your ATP while you warm the right seat for 9 months (a la Great Lakes) to 8 years (a la Comair). It isn't likely that you're going to come out of flight instructing in a piston twin and get hired in as a street captain (in which case you would need to have that 500 of xc>50 nm)

Just to clarify, it is my understanding that you can log any flight time as cross country provided you land at another airport in accordance with the very broad definition of cross country time listed in the front of the FARs. Whether you're operating under 121 or 135 at the time makes no difference on whether you can log it as XC or not.

The differences only matter if you're going for a new rating, cert, or operating privilege and need a certain kind of XC.

The question comes down to what you can apply a certain flight to in terms of ratings or privileges.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:06 AM
Gets Weekends Off

double post?
Old 03-12-2009, 03:09 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by freightdog View Post
I made a column in my logbook "Apt to Apt" for my XC time for 135 mins. Once I got my time I just stopped labeling and filling out that column and my "Turbine" time took over that column. In my Jepp Logbook it has a XC column that I use for anythng over 50 NM.

Ok so I was logging all my point to point as xc....sucks. Should i just white all that out and log it in a different colum or what? I want it to look neat ya know...you guys understand
-SS
Old 03-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: C402, on the side with the switches!

All the X-C time in my logbook is point-to-point. I made a separate column in Logbook Pro that I use for the 50nm stuff.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008

IMO once you have the ATP it really doesn't make a difference.