Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air

Old 07-10-2016, 06:30 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2015

Originally Posted by F50driver View Post
Talking about vacation time, how does it work with cape? First year I guess there is none. How about unpaid leave in winter? Is there such possibility?
well if you have your ATP, applying for a part time position may be your best bet. Part time captains are only required to work 5 days a month. They can use you more than 5 days a month and they will pay for your hotel room and a positive space ticket in whatever region cape air needs pilots in. Everyday you work past the 5 required days in a month, counts as an incentive day, which can be quite lucrative.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:45 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2014

Originally Posted by Buschpilot92 View Post
well if you have your ATP, applying for a part time position may be your best bet. Part time captains are only required to work 5 days a month. They can use you more than 5 days a month and they will pay for your hotel room and a positive space ticket in whatever region cape air needs pilots in. Everyday you work past the 5 required days in a month, counts as an incentive day, which can be quite lucrative.
Nice, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info! But I guess you won't have non rev benefits right?
Old 07-12-2016, 08:25 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2015

Nice, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info! But I guess you won't have non rev benefits right?
Cape air pilots are a part of CASS so you can jumpseat on pretty much any carrier in the U.S
Old 07-20-2016, 11:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2013

30K contract for FO's? Good lord. This place has gone down hill in just the 3 years I left its unreal. Any FO who goes there and willfully signs that, deserves whatever they have coming for them. Stay away.

Here is an idea. With all the incentive money they are throwing around, why don't you take all of that and increase pay across the board significantly? Now you can attract enough people your not short and your not cutting routes. With the number of people I know that do pick up incentive days, this is costing Cape a lot of money. Spend it on the pay scale and see what happens.

There are a lot of guys I know that do live in New England. With the ATP rule they are almost all going to 121 jet operators. However, if you brought up the pay and maybe had a base guarantee or something (for the guys who straight up already live in Augusta, or Rockland etc) I think it would significantly help get people in the door.

Ultimately, to me, they bit off way more than they could EVER chew. The second they went into MT I knew it was going to kill them. When I was there they had enough pilots to mostly get by in the NE during the summer, Caribbean in winter and still staff the EAS out of STL. Now they added MT and some sea plane operation out of South FL to the Bahamas? They need to reign it in a bit. If you have the pilots that's fine to expand, but they added a lot of this right when the ATP rule hit and tons of people were leaving.

I think if Cape wants to find a group of new "lifers" or people who will be staying long term, they should go back to providing housing in base (ie these properties are assets on their books) and increasing the pay. You do that and everything changes. I remember them sending me to the BVI. I got a week off. Zero assistance from anyone in finding a place, car or anything. It was a joke. Thankfully I found a place with a couple other guys, but still. What other companies send employees over seas or other countries with zero assistance? Thats pretty sad.

Ultimately I had a lot of fun in my one year at Cape, but after a year it was time to go. If they were to make some changes I may have stayed (as well as a lot of my friends who followed me out). I hope things change over there for the better.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2016

Originally Posted by CAirBear View Post
30K contract for FO's? Good lord. This place has gone down hill in just the 3 years I left its unreal. Any FO who goes there and willfully signs that, deserves whatever they have coming for them. Stay away.

Here is an idea. With all the incentive money they are throwing around, why don't you take all of that and increase pay across the board significantly? Now you can attract enough people your not short and your not cutting routes. With the number of people I know that do pick up incentive days, this is costing Cape a lot of money. Spend it on the pay scale and see what happens.

There are a lot of guys I know that do live in New England. With the ATP rule they are almost all going to 121 jet operators. However, if you brought up the pay and maybe had a base guarantee or something (for the guys who straight up already live in Augusta, or Rockland etc) I think it would significantly help get people in the door.

Ultimately, to me, they bit off way more than they could EVER chew. The second they went into MT I knew it was going to kill them. When I was there they had enough pilots to mostly get by in the NE during the summer, Caribbean in winter and still staff the EAS out of STL. Now they added MT and some sea plane operation out of South FL to the Bahamas? They need to reign it in a bit. If you have the pilots that's fine to expand, but they added a lot of this right when the ATP rule hit and tons of people were leaving.

I think if Cape wants to find a group of new "lifers" or people who will be staying long term, they should go back to providing housing in base (ie these properties are assets on their books) and increasing the pay. You do that and everything changes. I remember them sending me to the BVI. I got a week off. Zero assistance from anyone in finding a place, car or anything. It was a joke. Thankfully I found a place with a couple other guys, but still. What other companies send employees over seas or other countries with zero assistance? Thats pretty sad.

Ultimately I had a lot of fun in my one year at Cape, but after a year it was time to go. If they were to make some changes I may have stayed (as well as a lot of my friends who followed me out). I hope things change over there for the better.
I don't know who you are but I want to buy you a beer. This is the truest thing on the entire thread. When I post about 9K, people call me bitter. Perhaps, but I just see the truth of the matter. 9K isn't the place it once was. I have been saying for months that they complain about staffing yet continue to expand...Expansion is good but if you are already struggling with what you got, it's not time to go look for more. They closed PVD because they didn't have the pilots and then they took on 208s? I just don't get it. Oh and if you sign a 30k contract, just go away. Unless you have no plans for 121 that is.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:55 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Tecnam P2012 made it's maiden flight yesterday!

http://www.tecnam.com/news-en/p2012-maiden-flight-video/

but another 2 years before certification..
Old 08-01-2016, 10:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Can anyone send me the flows and memory items? Got a class in Sept. and had already enough vacation..

Which base is hurting the most for Cpt?
Old 08-02-2016, 03:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2013

Tecnam P2012 made it's maiden flight yesterday!

P2012 Maiden Flight Video | Tecnam

but another 2 years before certification..
Nice. I cant wait to retire from the airlines in 20 years and go back to flyin HYA-ACK-BOS-MVY-HYA-ACK-HPN-ACK-HYA: all before lunch.
Good luck to all at 9K.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:33 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2015

Originally Posted by Buschpilot92 View Post
Where can I find out more about the part-time pilot gig?
Old 08-04-2016, 03:28 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2016

Has anyone recently gone through FO training with Cape? I am setup for a Sept date and trying to figure out what to expect. Do PIC and SIC train together? What are the main differences in the two classes?

Thanks!