Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 07:32 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2013

Originally Posted by say again View Post
I'm guessing you'll turn them down when they call? Does the contract void if you don't show up?
Yes, the contract only becomes valid after the first day of training.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:20 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2014

Originally Posted by rswitz View Post
I was hired in February 2016, and still have not received a class date. Yup.

Doesn't stop there. When they offered me the job a week after my interview, I signed the original contract which did not include the 30k training bond.

A few months later they sent me the new contract to sign. I signed it and they told me I'd be getting a class date the next month.

Well, it's mid September and no word.

I am now flying a Hawker for a 135. At this point I'm just curious if Cape will ever reach out to me. It seems they forget about the people they hire.

A little about the new contract - it's 30k non prorated. Yes. If you leave one day early, you owe them 30 grand. Levi, their recruiter, confirmed this with me.

I asked Levi if they would offer any assistance in moving to the Caribbean, to which he responded "No, everybody else does it on their own and so will you."

I got lucky finding another job, and I understand that for many it may be the only option especially at low time.

Folks, if you can, stay away from this very crappy establishment. It is an embarrassment to this profession.
I had a similar story. Got hired in February and didn't get a class date until late April. I showed up and got surprised by the new contract they just announced that day of a $30k non prorated contract with no specified time period. I tried to reason with them and they used the excuse that too many SICs were leaving. Why would I trust a place that made me sign a contract based on people before me leaving?
Old 10-03-2016, 06:28 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2014
Position: Left Seat

Quick CapeAir question that is unrelated but didn't want to start a thread for one question. Thinking of trying to "jumpseat" from SJU to EIS in Feb...should I just go to St. Thomas and take the ferry or is this a realistic option. Thanks!
Old 10-12-2016, 09:16 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Gulfstream Pilot

Originally Posted by Sparta View Post
Quick CapeAir question that is unrelated but didn't want to start a thread for one question. Thinking of trying to "jumpseat" from SJU to EIS in Feb...should I just go to St. Thomas and take the ferry or is this a realistic option. Thanks!
Both Cape Air and Seabourne fly into Beef out of San Juan; Feb. is the in the middle of high season though, so I would recommend the Ferry Boat from St. Thomas.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:38 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2013

What does a First Officer actually make in their first year with the company?
Old 10-27-2016, 07:28 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2016
Position: Kool-Aid Aficionado

Originally Posted by AJPH View Post
What does a First Officer actually make in their first year with the company?
Well, first you need to know that you upgrade as soon as you hit 1500, so it is rare to do a full year as FO, unless you come in with very low flight time. But if you were FO for a full year, you'd be in the low 20k range, depending how much you fly and how much overtime you're able to get, etc. Pay obviously increases when you upgrade, but also goes up if you get the PIC checkout to fly the mail plane at 1200 hours.

For me, it was worth the pay cut to not have to instruct anymore, when I got hired with around 850 hours.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:41 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2016

Hmm...Interesting , all these comments. I was interviewed in July ( I have 17 years part 135 ownership and experience, an ATP and close to 4000 hrs of which 1000 is multi) and although they said that they have room for a few expat pilots, and there is very little work available where I'm from (South Africa) and would really have loved a move, I wasnt hired after the skype interview.

Unless I gave a really cr@ppy interview, the only reason I can see NOT to have been accepted was the fact that there are by far MORE applicants to Cape Air than they need (in the USA), and my application and the subsequent paperwork would just have been a headache.

A real pity. I have a lot of experience to have given the company as I am also Safety Management (SMS) and Quality audit qualified. I am also client driven, as I owned my own part 135 for years......

Last edited by saracen; 10-29-2016 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Wanted to add where I was from , for clarity
Old 10-29-2016, 03:45 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Dream Job

Originally Posted by saracen View Post
Hmm...Interesting , all these comments. I was interviewed in July ( I have 17 years part 135 ownership and experience, an ATP and close to 4000 hrs of which 1000 is multi) and although they said that they have room for a few expat pilots, and there is very little work available where I'm from (South Africa) and would really have loved a move, I wasnt hired after the skype interview.

Unless I gave a really cr@ppy interview, the only reason I can see NOT to have been accepted was the fact that there are by far MORE applicants to Cape Air than they need (in the USA), and my application and the subsequent paperwork would just have been a headache.

A real pity. I have a lot of experience to have given the company as I am also Safety Management (SMS) and Quality audit qualified. I am also client driven, as I owned my own part 135 for years......
You're overqualified.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2016, 03:50 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2016

You recon?

One would think that they may appreciate experience wherever it may come from. Can only add value surely.......
Old 10-29-2016, 06:10 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2016
Position: Kool-Aid Aficionado

Originally Posted by saracen View Post

Are you current? I know Cape Air had a lot of street captains wash out of training for awhile. A lot of older ex-121 guys who just couldn't handle single pilot environment . So they were mostly focusing on the FO program and upgrading FOs rather than hiring street captains.