Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Part 135 Cargo ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Apteryx

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Originally Posted by Planewatcher View Post
Ameriflight will always be Ameriflight. Back in the 80's early 90's It was all about Banks and flying checks. That was AMF's Cash Crop flying across the country coast to coast. Someone back then said hey wait a min we can do small feeder also. Now that's where there cash crop is. Revenue has totally done a 180 as far as Feeder/banks. By the end of the year you will hardly see any checks as mandated by law. The night routes and freight have deceased substantially. As opposed to DHL/FDX/UPS routes. AMF then ventured in to the Radioactive Material flying (7060 ops)

It seems as soon as AMF loses a route they gain a route Somewhere else.

Airnet's Story was Banks and only banks. They bet the farm on banks. A few years ago they started flying stuff for Nordian (a Radioactive producer) I think they still hold the contract today. The cost to operate a Lear as compared to a metro or a 99 is a no brainier. But Lear's were all Airnet has for long haul trips.

Where AMF succeeds is their reliability. If something breaks they were there with a replacement still making service. I cant say that about the other company's. I have seen other company's charter out there route to AMF because they had no way of recovering.
One small addition to the story. Back in the old days, when Ameriflight (then a much smaller outfit called California Air Charter), almost exclusively hauled bank material, management began to gnaw their fingernails whilst thinking, "One of these days, the bankers will realize they don't have to have the original document with the original signature in their hand to clear the transaction. And then," they thought, "What will we do?" It actually started happening a few years ago with the advent of Check 21 and widespread use of electronic imaging, and as a result the high-dollar bank flights are now pretty much history.

Those worries more than 20 years ago about the future of banks' air transportation needs, are what started the company on a pretty agressive move onto the ground floor of the then-burgeoning small package express feeder flying business -- which, by the time bank flying started to crater, was generating the majority of Ameriflight's revenue.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Apteryx

Originally Posted by freightdog View Post
Just be careful when the Honey Bees get out of their boxes and loose inside the airplane at FL210. This is happened on more than one occasion to my fellow Ameriflighters. Thankfully it happened to me when I was just about to open the crew door.
Well, stay frosty and the bees won't bother you.

You probably missed the story about the swarm of bees that attached itself to the radome of an Ameriflight Metro. With all that loud TPE-331 humming, they thought they'd found the biggest, sexiest queen bee in the whole great state of Texas, and fell in love!
Old 02-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Apteryx

Originally Posted by freightdog View Post
Airnet was highly vested in the banks with all those lear jets. That could have been a reason.
Ameriflight only had five Learjets, and they were paid off and depreciated to residual value years ago. . . .
Old 02-15-2010, 07:48 AM
Ref +8

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: North by Midwest

Originally Posted by AtlCSIP View Post
Flying freight is awesome! Nobody ever pukes or complains about the ride! Just follow the FAR's, because it's YOUR career.
Them 45º banks are fun eh?
Old 02-15-2010, 12:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Position: 737 Left

Originally Posted by flywithjohn View Post
Them 45º banks are fun eh?
Let's just say that you can legally and safely depart and arrive in a manner that brings enjoyment to the pilot, but probably wouldn't be appreciated by any pax!
Old 02-15-2010, 06:59 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: seeking the right seat

after reading through this I didn't see anyone post (unless I missed it) anything about Air cargo carriers. Whats the cost to operate a shorts? And if anyone is there whats it like to fly for them?
Old 02-16-2010, 08:01 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: Swivel Chair

Never mind ...

TM