Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Blackwater

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 06:23 AM
I'm a man of my word.

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: Devil's Advocate

Originally Posted by 3wire View Post
I am wondering if you have ever flown into a high threat environment? Have you ever expended chaff or flare because your RWR has lit up? These jobs pay big bucks because it is inherently dangerous and takes skill and poise under the most demanding circumstances.
Fly or die. Where do I sign up?
Old 01-09-2009, 07:07 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by CaptainCarl View Post
If you want to get into the fight - visit your local recruiting office; but you might have to leave the *cowboy* mentality behind. People lives might be at stake.

USMCFLYR
Old 01-09-2009, 08:25 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2008

Thank you USMCFLYR... My point is.... If this is the prevailing thought and/or viewpoint, or an ethos to which you subscribe to, then why not join the military as an Aviator and defend your nation fighting under the flag for a modest (and surely liveable) paycheck? You can get shot at, get paid, have full benefits, and fly for YOUR nation. In addition, you will be trained properly and given amply flight time. Of course, it will require a substantial commitment on your part... probably 8-12 years at a minimum depending on which service you join.

Chasing big bucks to fly in a combat zone might be a little different than most think and/or expect is my humble perspective.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:03 AM
I'm a man of my word.

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: Devil's Advocate

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
If you want to get into the fight - visit your local recruiting office; but you might have to leave the *cowboy* mentality behind. People lives might be at stake.

USMCFLYR
When I believe there is a fight to be won, I will gladly sign up. Until then, the price needs to be right for me to fly in a fight that will have no end. As for the *cowboy* mentality, let me explain my logic behind the "fly or die" statement:

Originally Posted by 3wire View Post
I am wondering if you have ever flown into a high threat environment? Have you ever expended chaff or flare because your RWR has lit up? These jobs pay big bucks because it is inherently dangerous and takes skill and poise under the most demanding circumstances.
I was merely making an observation about 3wire's statement of "...it is inherently dangerous and takes skill and poise under the most demanding circumstances." If I were a pilot in that position, my choices are simple: Fly or die. If you lose your composure and start making irrational decisions, you might end up dead, along with the men you are transporting. So, my comment "fly or die" was not so cavalier as it seems, just an observation on the choices given to any pilot in a high-risk environment.

There is a method to my madness. Usually...
Old 01-10-2009, 08:14 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by CaptainCarl View Post
When I believe there is a fight to be won, I will gladly sign up. Until then, the price needs to be right for me to fly in a fight that will have no end.
Then in this case you certainly don't belong in the military. It is not the military member's decision which fights are worth fighting or not. Those decisions are made by our duely elected civilians leaders. As for the re not being a fight worth winning going on right now - I couldn't disgree more; but further discussion on that topic here would lead to political discussion against the TOS.

There is a method to my madness. Usually...
Yes - that statement makes much more sense.

USMCFLYR
Old 01-10-2009, 08:44 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

Not to take this thread further off topic but, does the military look down on people that have done DOD contract stuff and then later go to sign up?
Old 01-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Time2Fly View Post
Not to take this thread further off topic but, does the military look down on people that have done DOD contract stuff and then later go to sign up?
I don't know the answer to your question; but I often don't see people going from contract work (or working with a private company) to the military. I'll use explosive ordnance disposal as an example. The contract workers working side by side with us during OIF 2 were making about 5 times more than the young Marines doing the same work.

USMCFLYR
Old 01-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Various

Originally Posted by Time2Fly View Post
To be honest it's very rare to see someone with the amount of experience that Blackwater requires entering the military to fly. There is the occasional pilot entering MIL flight school with several ratings, but most guys come off the street with possibly a private, rarely a commercial, and very rarely heavy hours and lots of commercial experience. If you go to work for Blackwater or a a similar contract company, I would think the clearance they would grant you and the high threat flying, would make your military package more attractive.

Most everyone I know flying there is ex military. I know there are some civilians as well, everyone is pretty experienced.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:55 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2010
Default Presidential Interview Process

Does anyone have any gouge on the current Presidential Interview Process?
Old 08-17-2010, 06:42 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Back in school.

Originally Posted by Vee1 View Post
Does anyone have any gouge on the current Presidential Interview Process?
You get called for an interview?