Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

TMC- Travel Management Company

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 11:28 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2014
Position: 135Cancer

Originally Posted by 1900CA View Post
The company cannot force you to stay out past day 15. Once in a while you could end up with a trip on day 14 that might take you out to the islands that would get you back too late on day 15 to airline home. If thats the case you can tell the company that you cannot stay out if you don't want to and they will find someone who is willing to take the trip.

As far as the 604 goes. The way it was explained is that transitions to the 604 will be done based off of company seniority. You also have to meet all the upgrade requirements for insurance to transition and I believe you also have to be a current captain on the the aircraft you're currently flying.
Insurance isn't dictating the new minimums, Wyvern is [PDF]. If you see WW next to your name on the schedule, it is because you don't meet these minimums, not the ones published in the PPM.

Staying out past day 15? Yes. They can. They have. They will. [ANECDOTAL SCENARIO--Yes, it really happened] Let's say you have a trip that takes you to your home airport early in the day on go-home day. All you need to do is wait for your replacement then hop in your car and go home. Your pax come back early and want to go back to NY. Your replacement isn't there. Do you refuse the trip? Doesn't seem like a good career move. You take your pax back to TEB, hop in a cab at 1830 and race to LGA. Since you arrived in LGA well after 2100-ish (holiday traffic in NY is awesome!) you missed the last possible flight to get you home that night. It left at 1850 and because you'd have to make a connection in CLT or ATL or DCA, you never really had a chance. You and the captain are now enjoying expensive hotel food at the Renaissance. At least you got a 0600 flight out in the morning. Should be home by lunch--unless the airlines have overbooked.

Fortunately, traveling on a holiday the next day in uniform got me a first class upgrade on one leg and a free meal on the other. Would've preferred to sleep in my own bed the night before, though.

Generally, they can't make you come out early unless it's for a training event.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:40 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2011

Originally Posted by solaero View Post
Insurance isn't dictating the new minimums, Wyvern is [PDF]. If you see WW next to your name on the schedule, it is because you don't meet these minimums, not the ones published in the PPM.

Staying out past day 15? Yes. They can. They have. They will. [ANECDOTAL SCENARIO--Yes, it really happened] Let's say you have a trip that takes you to your home airport early in the day on go-home day. All you need to do is wait for your replacement then hop in your car and go home. Your pax come back early and want to go back to NY. Your replacement isn't there. Do you refuse the trip? Doesn't seem like a good career move. You take your pax back to TEB, hop in a cab at 1830 and race to LGA. Since you arrived in LGA well after 2100-ish (holiday traffic in NY is awesome!) you missed the last possible flight to get you home that night. It left at 1850 and because you'd have to make a connection in CLT or ATL or DCA, you never really had a chance. You and the captain are now enjoying expensive hotel food at the Renaissance. At least you got a 0600 flight out in the morning. Should be home by lunch--unless the airlines have overbooked.

Fortunately, traveling on a holiday the next day in uniform got me a first class upgrade on one leg and a free meal on the other. Would've preferred to sleep in my own bed the night before, though.

Generally, they can't make you come out early unless it's for a training event.
My first two rotations were 16 day rotations so only 12 days off.
They tried doing it to me a third time on another rotation.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:33 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2013

Do you at least get paid extra when you end up out for an extra day?
Old 07-18-2014, 03:06 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by tlewis95 View Post
Do you at least get paid extra when you end up out for an extra day?
If by "extra" you mean above and beyond the normal rate, then no. That does not happen. There is no incentive to get a crewmember home.

If by "extra" you mean the normal daily rate, then yes. You get paid at your normal daily rate until you get home if your rotation exceeds 15 days. Days 16+ pay the same as days 1-15.

If your go-home day is the 4th, and you aren't able to get home until the 5th after 3am, you will get your normal daily rate for that extra day. If you are home by 2am on the 5th, you'll be paid through the 4th.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:20 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by solaero View Post
If by "extra" you mean above and beyond the normal rate, then no. That does not happen. There is no incentive to get a crewmember home.
Seems this info. is now out of date. Days 16+ (after 3am) now incur additional incentive pay.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:32 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2013

Got it. Thanks!
Old 07-26-2014, 11:10 AM
New Hire

Signed up on APC to help clear the Fog-

Schedule
- 15 on 13 off
- NO Vacation
-3 UNPAID personal days annually that do NOT roll over. If the personal days are taken in the middle of rotation and are you not sent out or brought back to work- there is no compensation until your next rotation.
- 2 paid sick days annually- DO NOT roll over, but paid out.

Compensation
Daily Pay
ALL FO 220.00
CA BE400 320.00; HS125 354.00; CL604 465.00
0-5% annual raise based on fuel burn, sim eval and general behavior
Perdiem 40.00 per day Domestic and Canada
60.00 per day International but only paid if overnight ( CAN is NOT Int'l)
Annual Bonus paid the 2Q of the following year based on days of service- 1 day of pay per 40 days worked.

Benefits
Medical / Dental- Single payer approx 200.00 /mo or 2,400.00 a year
-Family of 3+ approx 600.00 /mo or 7,200 a year
401K – (Something close to this)- matches .50 to each dollar up to 5% with vesting periods. Full vest is 7 years. Most fund plans costing upwards of 0.5%

Training
Compensated 100.00 per day if on day ON. You forfeit your daily rate and are only paid the 100.00
If training on days OFF- appropriate daily rate is paid (ex. 220.00 or 320.00)
Almost EVERYONE TRAINS ON DAYS OFF
Typical recurrent is 4 days plus Travel days - to be completed before or after a 15 day rotation. Normally 15 ON, 4 days train, 1 travel then, 8 off followed by another 15 day rotation. = 8 off in 35 once a year.
All initial and recurrent sim conducted by Flight Safety
6mo checks for CAs only – in house eval at Sim Com
All Seats are given PIC Type

Contract
19,500.00 NON-prorated
Begins on day one of INDOC
Transitioning pilots expected to sign a new contract and take a pay freeze until upgrade.

Uniform
490.00 to be paid on day one of indoc with either CC or Check.
Includes, 2 pairs of pants, one blazer and a winter coat

Other
Crew meals- Only awarded if on duty for more than 8 hours with no 1 hour breaks.
Travel Home- must be in domicile after 3AM ( local time zone) before another day of pay is awarded.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:23 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

That's a decent job. Being home based is King! You're not going to be on the street anytime soon either.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:29 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2011
Position: 737 CA

Originally Posted by MR JT8D View Post
That's a decent job.
Based on the post above yours I really hope this is just dry sarcasm.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:47 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by DirectTo View Post
Based on the post above yours I really hope this is just dry sarcasm.
It is one of the better 135 gigs out there.

With that said:
- I have worked at far, far worse places. (I don't know how they stay in business)
- I have worked at far, far better places (I dearly miss those folks)
- This place could be much better, but I don't see it happening during my tenure (despite current events)
- We are staying current (albeit on antique, out-of-production airframes)
- Attrition is high (you can take that to mean anything and everything you'd like to assume)