Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Flightworks Afghanistan?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 01:38 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: Still Swinging props!

Caribou! Dehavilland.... that's all that needs said. Never met a DHC I didn't like. They put PT-6's on theirs? That's how it looked, anyway. Downwind took them forever! Slow, but something that age needs to take its time. Heh heh. New opening posted there, this week.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:58 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2010
Position: A320 Right Seat

Will anyone with info on this or other companys please PM me? I am curious to see what options are out there, or what the reqs are. I went to my first 121 regional interview last week, left the interivew thinking "this is going to suck", turned down the class. Was focused on 121 flying for so long I never looked into other options. Any info would help. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2009

Originally Posted by xtownboy View Post
Will anyone with info on this or other companys please PM me? I am curious to see what options are out there, or what the reqs are. I went to my first 121 regional interview last week, left the interivew thinking "this is going to suck", turned down the class. Was focused on 121 flying for so long I never looked into other options. Any info would help. Thanks!
I'd take regional 121 flying over going back to Afghanistan every day of the week.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:37 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2013
Position: EMB-175 Right seat.

Hey guys, I saw this place was hiring Twin Otter pilots. Can someone please tell me more info on what this would be like. How dangerous is it really living over there? Is the food descent? Anything at all to do on your off time? Food descent on the bases? I have always wanted to give a military contract position a try. Hopefully it would be a good experience and a way to pay off my student loans before going to the regionals. Any information is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:28 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2013

Originally Posted by beech350guy View Post
Tax implications/benefits to working out of the country?

I have read the stuff on the other operators, but I am looking for specifics on FlightWorks. Thanks!
I can't answer the other questions, but I have some friends who have done this or are currently flying over there (none for Flightworks, though). So far as I've gathered, the tax benefit is only if you remain outside the US for 11 months out of the year. Their comments are, if you want to see someone, just fly them out to wherever you're staying on your time off. I believe you don't have to pay federal income tax if you do that.. Either that or it's a substantial tax break.

Someone else asked if it's dangerous. In short yes, and no. It's a war zone, and like another person said, the bases you stay at get mortared and people die (their attitude on this is usually "if it's your time, it's your time"). That's why their pay is higher. It also depends where you fly and what type of missions you do. You'll probably get shot at, but the last contract plane (not helos) to get shot down was in 2008 (Blackwater, I think--you're more than welcome to check me on this, because if that's not the case, I'd be interested to hear as well). So the guys have mostly commented that the flying is safe, except for those few min on takeoff and landing every day.

If I'm wrong on any of this, feel free to correct me. I've never worked the job but am hoping to in the future, so I've been collecting a lot of information from friends of mine who do.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:19 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: Right

Couple questions:

1) Is there any chance these places, like Dynamic or Flightworks will lower their requirements to get an interview. It sounds like they always want time in type, ex/ King Air, Dash-8, DHC-6 time. Flight Works doesn't want anything less than 125 hrs Twin Otter and that seems to be set in stone.

2) Are they going to start winding down these operations next year along with the troop withdrawl in 2014 and are ppl at these places going to start bailing in anticipation for this.

PM me if you want too. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:39 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2013

Originally Posted by Airframe View Post
Couple questions:

2) Are they going to start winding down these operations next year along with the troop withdrawl in 2014 and are ppl at these places going to start bailing in anticipation for this.

PM me if you want too. Thanks.
L-3 has ramped up their hiring for Afghanistan (just by looking at their website for the past couple of months, they've gone from one or two pilot positions a few months ago to eight or so). On the other hand, Dynamic has stopped hiring for now (after a year and a half or more of hiring, they've pulled the job ads off of their website).

Check out L-3's times, you may find something there. I remember from when Dynamic was hiring, all they required for FO was 300multi PIC (turbine preferred) and 1500(?) total time, or something along those lines. That seems pretty low to me for their type of flying, so I wouldn't imagine they'd give on that. Again, this is just from watching their websites and the others I know who do the job, so check my facts and feel free to let me know if I get any of this wrong!

Last edited by Amanda; 06-22-2013 at 09:41 AM. Reason: words!
Old 06-22-2013, 01:58 PM
Line Holder

Thanks Amanda. I think you are correct on the Blackwater bird. There might be another one more recent, but that is what I was also thinking. There was a mechanic that used to work for Blackwater that had told me a few stories... Also I had not heard of the 330 day thing. I Googled it and that seems to be correct. I am trying to find out if there is a tax break if ony out of the U.S. for 180 days since Flight works is a 90 on, 90 off rotation...

I honestly feel that their minimums are quite low at 1500 tt.

Also, I have a few military buddies that have told me that the more the military moves out, the more contractors there will be. Not sure how true this is.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:03 PM
Line Holder

If anyone has more info on this topic, please share or pm me.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-22-2013, 02:08 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
You'll probably get shot at, but the last contract plane (not helos) to get shot down was in 2008 (Blackwater, I think--you're more than welcome to check me on this, because if that's not the case, I'd be interested to hear as well).
I'd like to hear more about this fixed wing Blackwater (or future named company which came of Blackwater) mishap which included a SHOOT DOWN.
I'm only aware of the box canyon mishap of Blackwater 61 in late 2004.